all posts post new thread

Bodyweight Bodyweight Exercises & MD

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Jenn

Level 1 Valued Member
For many of you who don't know what Muscular Dystrophy is, it's a genetic disease that causes weakness and muscle mass loss over time. It can affect any part of your body and for me, it affected my legs.

I've been thinking about doing bodyweight exercises to strengthen my upper and lower body so I don't lose any muscle I currently have but the problem is I'm not strong enough to do most that require your legs like squats and lunges. Even if I had someone assisting me, I still can't do them. My lower back has problems due to MD so I'm unable to do the full motion for crunches and push ups. I tried doing the full motion once to see what happens and I ended up hurting myself.

Would bodyweight exercises still be effective if I only do half the motion as long as I keep my form in the correct way? Can I do the same exercises every day at the same intensity (light-to-moderate)?

@Jenn, welcome to the StrongFirst forum.

These are the kinds of questions that should be first directed to a medical professional. If - and this is an important "if" - your doctor says you may choose your own exercises without restrictions, then we can advise, but even then, you're probably best off working with a physical/physio therapist in person, at least for a while, to get an idea of what might work best for you.

-S-

@Jenn , Welcome to SF. I admire your resolve, and not just giving up. After doing the things, that Steve recommends with a medical professional and PT's, I hope they give you a program to help with your MD. Are you able to walk for any distances, or maybe ride a stationary bike for your legs? Please keep us up to date on your progress.

@Jenn, welcome to the StrongFirst forum.

These are the kinds of questions that should be first directed to a medical professional. If - and this is an important "if" - your doctor says you may choose your own exercises without restrictions, then we can advise, but even then, you're probably best off working with a physical/physio therapist in person, at least for a while, to get an idea of what might work best for you.

-S-
I spoke to my doctor about this and even asked for a referral to see a physical therapist but they refused. They understand my situation with MD but straight out said: "It's not worth the time and you'll be wasting money." which baffled me. When I first saw them and explained how MD has affected my lifestyle, they said they'll do whatever possible to improve my lifestyle. Without a referral, I can't see a physical therapist.

@Jenn , Welcome to SF. I admire your resolve, and not just giving up. After doing the things, that Steve recommends with a medical professional and PT's, I hope they give you a program to help with your MD. Are you able to walk for any distances, or maybe ride a stationary bike for your legs? Please keep us up to date on your progress.
I'm able to walk short distances using a walker or someone's arm for support. For long distances, I use my wheelchair. The longest time I can stay up on my feet is 30 minutes. There's two gyms I have in mind but one is closed due to Covid-19 and the other one requires you to have a military ID card but I don't have one so not really sure what to do.

I spoke to my doctor about this and even asked for a referral to see a physical therapist but they refused. They understand my situation with MD but straight out said: "It's not worth the time and you'll be wasting money." which baffled me. When I first saw them and explained how MD has affected my lifestyle, they said they'll do whatever possible to improve my lifestyle. Without a referral, I can't see a physical therapist.
Then I would look for a second medical opinion, or even a third if need be.

-S-

I'm able to walk short distances using a walker or someone's arm for support. For long distances, I use my wheelchair. The longest time I can stay up on my feet is 30 minutes. There's two gyms I have in mind but one is closed due to Covid-19 and the other one requires you to have a military ID card but I don't have one so not really sure what to do.
20 or 30 mins. sounds like a good start. Would yoga be of interest to you, even having a chair or support to steady yourself while standing.?Please watch this video, something you may be able to do in your living room at home, to maintain or improve your strength. I can't tell you what I think of your doctors on here.

Then I would look for a second medical opinion, or even a third if need be.

-S-
I've been seeing my current doctor for a little over five years now and for them to say something like that to a person living with a medical condition like that leaves me speechless. And the tone they used was extremely disrespectful... People like that shouldn't even be a doctor if they treat others like that and only want money... Anyway, I'll search around my area and other areas not too far away.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom