all posts post new thread

Bodyweight Bodyweight Fitness Program

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

IcyROM

Level 2 Valued Member
First time poster. I was a member of another forum (Dragondoor.com) and I was hoping to get some ideas for training here as well.

I am just looking for a Bodyweight training program. Maybe in the future I will consider gyms but for now it's very convenient so if possible I would like to train it. I do not know program to follow. Ideally a program that has been tried and tested and I would like to follow something with good results. I've wasted a lot of months with sporadic training and want results.

I am interested in growing muscle and strength and looking better as well. I don't have much fat but I would like to get lean as well.

Thanks for help anybody with thoughts.

@IcyROM, welcome to the StrongFirst forum.

We have a number of resources you may wish to consider. Pavel's book, "Naked Warrior," outlines StrongFirst's principles and shows how to implement them in a few, carefully chosen bodyweight exercises. It is a classic "an inch wide but a mile deep" book - you won't learn every bodyweight move known to humankind, but you'll learn progressions that will help you improve your strength.

StrongFirst offers a one-day bodyweight course you might consider taking, and if you decide you like it well enough to consider more in-depth instruction, you can apply the fee for the course to the fee for our three-day bodyweight instructor certification.

Our chief of program, @Karen Smith, also has tons of good stuff on her Facebook and Instagram pages you might want to look at.

Last but not least, it's always good to introduce yourself in a bit more depth than you have done so far - any current injuries, any current activities you will do in addition to your bw training, e.g., a martial art or a sport, any particular kind of training schedule you favor or any you cannot do, e.g., can you only train 3 days a week, etc.

-S-

Naked Warriror by Pavel is a must read as far as tension training goes...but those 2 exercises might be frustrating to someone who is beginning bodyweight fitness

Combat Conditioning by Matt Furey is a pretty fun and productive program, especially if you're into martial arts.. great exercises I just don't trust the programming beyond the first few months

Honestly I would avoid Convict Conditioning's programming (the book itself is prettty cool) but YMMV

I think AL Kavadlo has some pretty good books for what you want, his book on Pushing is especially good..

Beyond Bodybuilding has a great section on Bodyweight exercises

Easy Strength as programs for bodyweight, as well as those that can be easily adapted to BW

Ross Enamait's Never Gymless is pretty awesome, and that dude is certainly a beast, but I haven't tried the programming personally

And if your issue is going to the gym, but you're willing to use weights then a kettlebell at the appropriate weight would really help out, even if you're doing bodyweight exercises regularly.. swings and TGU on a semi regular basis certainly help out with bodyweight exercises, and I think the TGU is about as close as you can to doing calisthenics with a weight in your hand..

The Program Minimum on ETK has you practicing two bodyweight exercises (though the goal is strength led flexibility for the wall squat and the pump) throughout the day, and then 10 minutes before each work out.. A little more bodyweight than most people credit it for, since the pump and chinese wall squat do build strength to an extent..

hope this helps, I think you'll find that no program is perfect though.. as long as you are motivated to do things like pushups, pullups, squats, etc. you'll stay in pretty good shape regardless of whether your program is perfect..

@IcyROM, welcome to the StrongFirst forum.

We have a number of resources you may wish to consider. Pavel's book, "Naked Warrior," outlines StrongFirst's principles and shows how to implement them in a few, carefully chosen bodyweight exercises. It is a classic "an inch wide but a mile deep" book - you won't learn every bodyweight move known to humankind, but you'll learn progressions that will help you improve your strength.

StrongFirst offers a one-day bodyweight course you might consider taking, and if you decide you like it well enough to consider more in-depth instruction, you can apply the fee for the course to the fee for our three-day bodyweight instructor certification.

Our chief of program, @Karen Smith, also has tons of good stuff on her Facebook and Instagram pages you might want to look at.

Last but not least, it's always good to introduce yourself in a bit more depth than you have done so far - any current injuries, any current activities you will do in addition to your bw training, e.g., a martial art or a sport, any particular kind of training schedule you favor or any you cannot do, e.g., can you only train 3 days a week, etc.

-S-

Hi there thank you for the response.

I have The Naked Warrior. I bought it from Dragondoor because it was recommended there. I think that website published it, I'm not sure. It was a good read to learn about tension, yes! I'm looking for a program to follow, with sets and reps and exercises and so on. I would like to train other movements too that are not covered.

I'm not too interested in a course or seminars. I think just a program I could follow would be good just to get started. In the future maybe I can consider spending more money and going beyond.

I don't really know who Karen Smith is. Facebook seems to have a lot of those. If her IG or FB has a program I could follow then is it OK to ask for those web pages?

As far as Introduction, no current injuries, and no other activities. The training schedule is ideally 3-4 times a week, maybe an hour for each of those days as that would make it work well with my own schedule.
The most important thing for me is a program that really fulfills my goals and something that works :) Thank you very much for guidance.

Naked Warriror by Pavel is a must read as far as tension training goes...but those 2 exercises might be frustrating to someone who is beginning bodyweight fitness

Combat Conditioning by Matt Furey is a pretty fun and productive program, especially if you're into martial arts.. great exercises I just don't trust the programming beyond the first few months

Honestly I would avoid Convict Conditioning's programming (the book itself is prettty cool) but YMMV

I think AL Kavadlo has some pretty good books for what you want, his book on Pushing is especially good..

Beyond Bodybuilding has a great section on Bodyweight exercises

Easy Strength as programs for bodyweight, as well as those that can be easily adapted to BW

Ross Enamait's Never Gymless is pretty awesome, and that dude is certainly a beast, but I haven't tried the programming personally

And if your issue is going to the gym, but you're willing to use weights then a kettlebell at the appropriate weight would really help out, even if you're doing bodyweight exercises regularly.. swings and TGU on a semi regular basis certainly help out with bodyweight exercises, and I think the TGU is about as close as you can to doing calisthenics with a weight in your hand..

The Program Minimum on ETK has you practicing two bodyweight exercises (though the goal is strength led flexibility for the wall squat and the pump) throughout the day, and then 10 minutes before each work out.. A little more bodyweight than most people credit it for, since the pump and chinese wall squat do build strength to an extent..

hope this helps, I think you'll find that no program is perfect though.. as long as you are motivated to do things like pushups, pullups, squats, etc. you'll stay in pretty good shape regardless of whether your program is perfect..
Whoah yes thank you for a lot of options!
1) Yes I have read Naked Warrior. It's a really good book.
2) I don't know what Combat Conditioning is. It doesn't sound like you trust it though. I'm looking for something that works well and delivers hopefully for some months not just weeks (not just beginner gains).
3) I also have Al Kavadlo's books (also recommended to me in Dragondoor and I bought them). They have a lot of exercises but I don't really know how to put them together. He has a few examples but I think I'm looking for a little more guide.
4) I don't have this book. Does it have a good bodyweight program to follow? I'm looking for strength and size and maybe some fat loss just to look lean also. Something that tells me well what to do and what exercises to do would be good.
5) I do have Easy Strength, I didn't remember any Bodyweight programs. It seemed like a Barbell and Kettlebell book. Could you point me to the page number? Maybe I missed it I bought a long time ago. Thank you!
6) I don't have this book either. I'm really looking for something that works and delivers, not just something that looks good. I have been spinning my wheels with training and just want something good and safe and effective :)

I can get a Kettlebell. I really like Bodyweight fitness because it is cheap and looks fun and maybe in the future I will consider spending money on better tools. If I can get good results without spending money and by just starting already (instead of waiting shipping) even better.

I can squat good, I don't know what a pump is. But I think I just want a normal program like Pull-ups and Dips and Push-ups and One leg squats just to grow muscle and strength. Nothing fancy or weird, just straight forward.

Thank you very much for the help Jak!

Depending on your goals and level of fitness a SF bodyweight course or certification as Steve suggested would be my first choice and Jak listed several fine alternatives should you decide to go it alone.

One other option I would add to the mix would be to check out the programs from GMB (Gold Medal Bodies). "Intregal Strength" is their flagship bodyweight program but they also have others involving rings, parallettes, floor skills, animal movements, and flexibility. Quality online instruction and a good bunch of guys.

@IcyROM, because I tagged Karen, I hope she'll reply to you directly here.

Naked Warrior's program is Grease The Groove, GTG for short. It's a program you can follow.

-S-

If you are just starting out I would look at GET STRONG by the Kavadlo Brothers or the Recommend Routine on the Reddit BW sub.

If you are more experienced then check out the other suggestions above.
Hello thanks for the options.

What results did you get on these programs? I don't have them but I really want something like tried and tested to develop muscle and strength.

Thank you for the help!

Depending on your goals and level of fitness a SF bodyweight course or certification as Steve suggested would be my first choice and Jak listed several fine alternatives should you decide to go it alone.

One other option I would add to the mix would be to check out the programs from GMB (Gold Medal Bodies). "Intregal Strength" is their flagship bodyweight program but they also have others involving rings, parallettes, floor skills, animal movements, and flexibility. Quality online instruction and a good bunch of guys.
Hello thank you for the help.

Yes I am sure the Strongfirst Courses are really good. I just want something to get started with first and improve with. And once I get more involved and results are harder, maybe I can consider spending more money.
Just same logic as wanting to rent a house for a few years before actually just buying one. I want to learn a bit first and once I decide it looks good, maybe invest a little more money on more in-depth material.

Does that make good sense?

I checked GMB (pretty website also) but it seems they do a lot of gymnastics and skill training. It doesn't seem like the programs are aimed at growing muscle and lots of strength, just a lot of mobility and handstands and skills. These are great for sure! But I think my goals are a bit different maybe?
What were your results with that program Integral Strength?

Thank you very much for the help!

@IcyROM, because I tagged Karen, I hope she'll reply to you directly here.

Naked Warrior's program is Grease The Groove, GTG for short. It's a program you can follow.

-S-
Ah ok yes thank you. Maybe she can indicate some programs to follow from her social media.

Yes, I have read Naked Warrior. It's a good program but it doesn't fit my schedule well like I mentioned before. Also Naked Warrior seems to be mostly about strength with two movements, I would like to grow some muscle as well. I think I need maybe more than 2 exercises to really build muscle in the whole physique no?

Thank you very much for the help. I would like to get started this Monday :)

Karen Smith has written several articles on bodyweight training--one of them has a general program that might be what you are looking for--go under articles on home page.
The Naked Warrior teaches you how to use tension to generate strength--thinking its only about how to do two exercises is missing its entire premise and purpose.It can be used to get stronger at any bodyweigth exercises--even weights if you are so inclined.

Karen Smith has written several articles on bodyweight training--one of them has a general program that might be what you are looking for--go under articles on home page.
The Naked Warrior teaches you how to use tension to generate strength--thinking its only about how to do two exercises is missing its entire premise and purpose.It can be used to get stronger at any bodyweigth exercises--even weights if you are so inclined.
Hello thank you for the response.
I think I found it is it this one?:
Surprise Yourself With Strength on This Bodyweight Training Plan

Yes that looks very interesting. What are some of the results people (or yourself) obtained on this program in terms of muscular growth and strength? I just want to make sure doing this program will result in muscle growth and strength so I can reach a more muscular look.

As far as Naked Warrior yes it can be applied to everything, I didn't mean it was bad at all. I am sorry if it came out that way and I missed the purpose.
I know I can apply those tension abilities to any exercise. But what exercises should I even be doing? How often, for how many reps, and so on? I have lots of "general" books like Naked Warrior but right now I think I need something specific to try out.

Also the actual Naked Warrior workout (the Grease the Groove of OAPU and one legged squat) doesn't really fit in my schedule and I don't think it's meant for muscle growth right?

Sorry I'm just a bit frustrated and overwhelmed. So many suggestions that can be followed but I think the most important thing is that it matches goals and I want to make sure I will get results I want that's all :)

Yes that looks very interesting. What are some of the results people (or yourself) obtained on this program in terms of muscular growth and strength? I just want to make sure doing this program will result in muscle growth and strength so I can reach a more muscular look.
Go for the Recommended Routine (RR) from reddit. It was designed as a strength/hypertrophy mix. You'll get lots of tipps and help from the community there and a lot of people have successfully used it for the goals you're aiming for.

Get Strong is a good option if you're just starting at the very beginning (-> e.g. can't do a proper pushup yet).

Naked Warrior is good, but in every post you say that you want to build muscles (look like you lift) and the NW routine is not for that. You can read it and apply the principles (tension etc.) to the RR, but I wouldn't use the NW routine for your goals.

Whoah yes thank you for a lot of options!
1) Yes I have read Naked Warrior. It's a really good book.
2) I don't know what Combat Conditioning is. It doesn't sound like you trust it though. I'm looking for something that works well and delivers hopefully for some months not just weeks (not just beginner gains).
3) I also have Al Kavadlo's books (also recommended to me in Dragondoor and I bought them). They have a lot of exercises but I don't really know how to put them together. He has a few examples but I think I'm looking for a little more guide.
4) I don't have this book. Does it have a good bodyweight program to follow? I'm looking for strength and size and maybe some fat loss just to look lean also. Something that tells me well what to do and what exercises to do would be good.
5) I do have Easy Strength, I didn't remember any Bodyweight programs. It seemed like a Barbell and Kettlebell book. Could you point me to the page number? Maybe I missed it I bought a long time ago. Thank you!
6) I don't have this book either. I'm really looking for something that works and delivers, not just something that looks good. I have been spinning my wheels with training and just want something good and safe and effective :)

I can get a Kettlebell. I really like Bodyweight fitness because it is cheap and looks fun and maybe in the future I will consider spending money on better tools. If I can get good results without spending money and by just starting already (instead of waiting shipping) even better.

I can squat good, I don't know what a pump is. But I think I just want a normal program like Pull-ups and Dips and Push-ups and One leg squats just to grow muscle and strength. Nothing fancy or weird, just straight forward.

Thank you very much for the help Jak!

A pump is a downward dog, a plank, and an upward dog all done in sequence. For hip flexors and should flexibility, mostly. An awesome move regardless of what program you are on.

Based on what you're telling me from this, wanting to do "Pull-ups and Dips and Push-ups and One leg squats" I would again suggest Beyond Bodybuilding ( even if just the kindle version).

Beyond bodybuilding has great segments devoted to pullups, dips, and pushups. Pavel also outlines a few different programs that you could use (based on exercises YOU pick!) in the very beginning.

That book would be awesome for you especially since you want to build some muscle. Check out the "Ladder" section of the "Naked Warrior" section in Beyond Bodybuilding for info on how to build ladders easily out of your favorite calisthenics. I believe Pavel comments on the ladders "filling out your shirt" or something along those lines.. hopefully not misquoting..

That book also has a couple great push up programs, albeit not very sustainable. The section of "SWAT dips" and the "jack lalanne Pike Pushup" are really cool as well.

The "Russian Towel Laundry" exercise is worth the price of the book itself, imo.

As for Easy Strength, there are several parts in Easy Strength where Pavel and Dan John comment on how the basic "5 exercises, 5 times a week, 2 sets of 5 per day" could be adapted to bodyweight so long as the trainee still included an exercise for each core movement. There is also "The Hotel Workout", which is bodyweight, in Easy Strength Quadrant 3. But because you want some muscle I would really go for Beyond Bodybuilding instead.

Also, I just want to add that I recommended a Kettlebell to "fill in the gaps" so to speak. movements like the swing are great because most all bodyweight programs are without a Hinge movement. Here is an article I like that comments on how people doing bodyweight can add kettlebells The Cost of Adaptation

Good luck, the hardest part is finding one and sticking to it without switching...

Yes--that is the program.

Google Tom Furman Armor of War-- its an e-book for $10.Solid,easy to follow bodyweight program with progressions based on volume.I know Tom--he's a good guy,honest without gimmicks or nonsense.I think you would like it.

Go for the Recommended Routine (RR) from reddit. It was designed as a strength/hypertrophy mix. You'll get lots of tipps and help from the community there and a lot of people have successfully used it for the goals you're aiming for.

Get Strong is a good option if you're just starting at the very beginning (-> e.g. can't do a proper pushup yet).

Naked Warrior is good, but in every post you say that you want to build muscles (look like you lift) and the NW routine is not for that. You can read it and apply the principles (tension etc.) to the RR, but I wouldn't use the NW routine for your goals.
Yes I can do Push-ups and Pull-ups. I looked for the workout is it this?
kb/recommended_routine - bodyweightfitness

Yes this looks really good I think it's what I need. It says muscle and fat loss can be achieved provided diet is in check. Like eating enough I think so I think this is good.

Thank you very much.

And Jak and s f I think because this routine is free and I can start with maybe I think that's better for now? I just think I need concrete program just to begin but I will get those programs and try them out when this one doesn't work :)

Thank you for the help.

Also Kettlebelephant if I have questions with the routine you say I should ask on Reddit? I'm sure I will have many bodyweight fitness questions in the future.

Thanks very much.

First time poster. I was a member of another forum (Dragondoor.com) and I was hoping to get some ideas for training here as well.

I am just looking for a Bodyweight training program. Maybe in the future I will consider gyms but for now it's very convenient so if possible I would like to train it. I do not know program to follow. Ideally a program that has been tried and tested and I would like to follow something with good results. I've wasted a lot of months with sporadic training and want results.

I am interested in growing muscle and strength and looking better as well. I don't have much fat but I would like to get lean as well.

Thanks for help anybody with thoughts.

IcyRom I've been doing Get Strong for about 3 or 4 months. I think it's a really good bodyweight program and I like my results. My strength has definetly improved. I do through in some kettlebell swings a couple days a week for endurance. Another book I would recommend is C-Mass. https://www.amazon.com/C-Mass-Calis...04984504&sr=8-7&keywords=convict+conditioning

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom