all posts post new thread

Bodyweight Bodyweight grip strength training

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Mayukh Sen

Level 1 Valued Member
Hello guys, today I would like to share an idea on the most effective grip training method using only bodyweight (and something else, just read till the end) and without the aid of expensive metal apparatus.

Btw I have all of those Ironmind captains of crush grippers, love them.

Find a ledge or a pull up bar to hang with one arm. Note the maximum seconds you could hang on to it.

Now divide that number of seconds by two, and do 5 sets of those with an hour between sets each day. Do it for 12 days straight. Then rest on day 13, 14 and 15, and retest your max one arm hang time, so basically what I said is called Grease the groove in short, but I thought some new people may not have the knowledge, its possible right?

And of course you plan your next 15 day cycle based on the new improved maximum hang time.

If you can hang until 60 seconds, you are a beast.

How do you increase the resistance if you are not a big guy? Well, just hang a sack full of sand from the non working arm to make the hangs as heavy as you want. Infact you can do one arm pull ups that way too if you are strong enough.

One more thing, you can also do weighted one arm push ups between two high tables of equal height while a sack full of sand (dont stress, just put sand in the centre of your spread out bedcover and turn it into a sack of sand) hangs from the non pressing arm and its dipping between the gap of the two high tables.

Sand is free and travel bags/bed covers are cheap eh? So yay.... This is how I have been training since lockdown and made the best gains, I only train using GTG for grip training and one arm weighted push up.

No idea on training legs. Sorry. Trying to learn a pistol.

GtG works well for hangs. I’m somewhat new here and not sure about linking without reviewing the rules again but I’ve done a minute:45 one arm hangs.

This is from a relatively new twitter account of 1:32 although boring.

GtG works well for hangs. I’m somewhat new here and not sure about linking without reviewing the rules again but I’ve done a minute:45 one arm hangs.

This is from a relatively new twitter account of 1:32 although boring.

Wow Garry that is insanely impressive.

My best hang is 59 seconds from a ledge, did that 8 days ago, at a 102kilo bodyweight, 5ft10inches.

What I found best is to start with a weight you can do 20-30 second hangs with, then GTG with that. Amazing increases in grip strength. Now, it may be different for different people but thats what works best for me.

The hangs are done with a hollow position as well. That changes the game for me.

Sure. I was going for more of a strength endurance angle. I’ve done weighted and even fingertip tng for over 30 seconds.

I’m 71 inches and maintain a light frame for biking and agility. I’m 63 so not really focused on mass; only sarcopenia. Ha. Grip tng is awesome.

Sand is free and travel bags/bed covers are cheap eh? So yay.... This is how I have been training since lockdown and made the best gains, I only train using GTG for grip training and one arm weighted push up.
yes, sand is cheap. I made a 105 kg sandbag with less than 7 USD; total sand price was 5 USD and my friend told me that I overpaid!

No idea on training legs.
For squat, I did this.

Hello guys, today I would like to share an idea on the most effective grip training method using only bodyweight (and something else, just read till the end) and without the aid of expensive metal apparatus.

Btw I have all of those Ironmind captains of crush grippers, love them.

Find a ledge or a pull up bar to hang with one arm. Note the maximum seconds you could hang on to it.

Now divide that number of seconds by two, and do 5 sets of those with an hour between sets each day. Do it for 12 days straight. Then rest on day 13, 14 and 15, and retest your max one arm hang time, so basically what I said is called Grease the groove in short, but I thought some new people may not have the knowledge, its possible right?

And of course you plan your next 15 day cycle based on the new improved maximum hang time.

If you can hang until 60 seconds, you are a beast.

How do you increase the resistance if you are not a big guy? Well, just hang a sack full of sand from the non working arm to make the hangs as heavy as you want. Infact you can do one arm pull ups that way too if you are strong enough.

One more thing, you can also do weighted one arm push ups between two high tables of equal height while a sack full of sand (dont stress, just put sand in the centre of your spread out bedcover and turn it into a sack of sand) hangs from the non pressing arm and its dipping between the gap of the two high tables.

No idea on training legs. Sorry. Trying to learn a pistol.
Use towels to hang from if you want to really work on crush grip.
Hang from your fingertips as well…

I did .ate the towel tore off. Although its a great idea. Multiple towels together should do the trick.
That’s new. Prolly need to up your towel game. It might be about the thread count. Maybe Lindel “my pillow” homie is worth a look if he do towels /s

Ah… I see what he was maybe getting at now. The towel actually tore in half.
You can’t be using your tea towels for this. You need something substantial like a heavy bath towel, or beach towel.

Ah… I see what he was maybe getting at now. The towel actually tore in half.
You can’t be using your tea towels for this. You need something substantial like a heavy bath towel, or beach towel.
Thats, exactly.... The case. My bath towels are very different than people in US, ours are mostly slim cotton cloths. Easier to wash them.

But I will buy a western style towel soon. Maybe more than one.

After you buy the heavy duty western style towel, you could also buy a cheap pool noodle and cut two 8" sections. Slice the pool noodle open so that you can slide it over the towel grip and you have a very inexpensive Fat Gripz-type grip tool. Do pullups or whatever else you want even if it's just hanging straight-armed (arms locked out) it'll build a furious grip.

Hello,

I guess that what I will say is obivous, but being careful with grip training is paramount. This is easy to overdo it.

To mitigate the risk - IMHO - that's great to vary a lot: pinch grip, thumb over / under, etc..

Working on extensors may also be an option (fingertip plank / push up), etc...

Kind regards,

Pet'

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom