all posts post new thread

Bodyweight Bodyweight (horizontal) rows.....

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

crazycanuck

Level 9 Valued Member
With a bodyweight row, is the concencus being able to touch sternum to the bar or, how close? I am currently on week 4 of Aleks Salkin's 8 week KB Bodyweight challenge and for the10 min pulls portion have been doing hangs off the bar for time with hollow body/shoulders in the socket, and at times alternating that with flexed arm hangs at the top of the bar. Have built up some strength by things like completing S&S, but am pretty much a beginner at pullup training, basically.

Horizontal rows are another of the program's suggestions (plus in another program I will follow after this one), so I recently installed a horizontal bar at hip height, coming to that determination by laying on the floor, reaching arms straight up, and picking a few inches above that. I do realize that it is more challenging at that level. I cannot touch the bar with my chest, can get to within about 5-6 inches or so.

I had my hand placement pretty close together with elbows tucked, like how one would keep elbows in in a pushup. Thumbs over the bar, pullup grip.

Should I be able to get myself higher? Now that I type this I am wondering if my hand/arm placement was some of the factor (scapula meeting mid back, when at the top position) Am debating raising the bar to the armpit. Can get 3 reps at this hip height.

Just have seen a few different videos of technique and am wondering people's thoughts. Thanks everyone..!

One of the best investments I’ve made is a pair of gymnastics rings! Allows your shoulders to go exactly where they feel best / more activation of the surrounding musculature.

Of course, I would say experiment with what you are doing currently. Having a solid Row is going to pay off in spades for you later on when you’re getting in to Pull-ups.

Generally speaking I would say proper form is touching the sternum to the bar.

With a bodyweight row, is the concencus being able to touch sternum to the bar or, how close? I am currently on week 4 of Aleks Salkin's 8 week KB Bodyweight challenge and for the10 min pulls portion have been doing hangs off the bar for time with hollow body/shoulders in the socket, and at times alternating that with flexed arm hangs at the top of the bar. Have built up some strength by things like completing S&S, but am pretty much a beginner at pullup training, basically.

Horizontal rows are another of the program's suggestions (plus in another program I will follow after this one), so I recently installed a horizontal bar at hip height, coming to that determination by laying on the floor, reaching arms straight up, and picking a few inches above that. I do realize that it is more challenging at that level. I cannot touch the bar with my chest, can get to within about 5-6 inches or so.

I had my hand placement pretty close together with elbows tucked, like how one would keep elbows in in a pushup. Thumbs over the bar, pullup grip.

Should I be able to get myself higher? Now that I type this I am wondering if my hand/arm placement was some of the factor (scapula meeting mid back, when at the top position) Am debating raising the bar to the armpit. Can get 3 reps at this hip height.

Just have seen a few different videos of technique and am wondering people's thoughts. Thanks everyone..!
I second the use of rings.
I'm not sure I completely buy into the horizontal row as a gateway into pull-ups however. I think your pull up training time can be better spent...

Hello,

I second the use of the ring in this case. Indeed, they are safer for the joints because they'll be able to move freely.

However, even if I used to do row as an antagonist of push ups, I think there's better time investment: pull up / chin up. When I did rows, I was obliged to do multiple sets and reps to get a proper work. Row with elevated feet can be - IMO - a better choice than regular row because you will far more easily feel you are arching (or not).

Depending on the goal, OAOL row are interesting to balance OAOL PU though.

Kind regards,

Pet'

Hey @crazycanuck

I think it is a strength thing and slightly mobility thing.

I used to struggle with reaching my sternum to the bar at certain elevations, it just meant that it was too hard for me at the moment. When I made the elevation less severe, or bent my knees, I could touch my chest to the bar. This usually eliminated any discomfort I had associated w/ the rows and made them more productive.

Make sure you are gripping the bar with your thumb pressed firmly next to your pointer finger, rather than wrapped around the bar

Basically just modify it however you have to until you can touch your chest to the bar, reap a lot of reps, and you'll find out you can touch your chest to the bar at higher elevations, just for less reps

good luck

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom