all posts post new thread

Bodyweight Bodyweight + Kettlebell Hybrid

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Marc

Level 6 Valued Member
Hey guys,

I will start a new programme next week and would like to do a bodyweight and KB hybrid since BW would be mostly upper body and KB legs and posterior chain (front squats and double swings).
My goals are to "own" the moves and progress rep-wise. For KB my goal is to wear out the 2x32.
In addition to that I will do a cut to lose some fat because I let go the whole last year.

The programme looks like this:

BW Session A:

1a: OAPU 5x2 (work up to 3x5)
1b: Pistols 5x2 (work up to 3x5)
2a: Explosive ring pullup to chest(lsit and false grip/as fast and explosive as possible) 5x3
2b: Band resisted pushup or assisted OAPU: 3x5-10 (use heavier band/ more difficult variation once 3x10 is easy)

BW Session B:

1a: Pike press (on parallettes feet elevated/progress to more difficult variation/ work up to feet against wall) 3x5-10
1b: Weighted pullup: 3x5-10 (increase weight once 3x10 is easy)
2a: Weighted ring dips: 3x5-10 (same as pullups)
2b: Hanging leg raise from 90degree (work up to front lever): 3x5-10

KB session:
1: Front squat following STRONG
2: Double swings: working up to 10x10

Structure:

Mo: off
Tue: BW A
We: KB
Thu: BW B
Fr: off
Sa: BW A
Su: KB

Mo: off
Tue: BW B
We: KB
Thu: BW A
Fr: off
Sa: BW B
Su: KB

What do you think about that? Any suggestions/critique is highly appreciated!

Hello,

@Marc
I like it ;) well balanced with push / pull + strength + conditioning !

Regarding BW A, I would change the order: 1a - 2a.
Regarding BWA, I would go for plyo squat (instead of 2b). Then, I'd do 1b - plyo squat

I'd do that to work "slow and fast" twitches to create some kind of bodyweight contrast training.

Concerning the KB session, you go for FSQ and swings. If you want also to lose fat, what about the "tuesday" of the TPW:
Total Package Weekly Kettlebell Training Template (so you keep the double swing, but do C&J instead of FSQ). Plus, you already work leg strength with pistols.

Of course, this is just an idea of what I would do, but sure yours will work just perfectly ! :)

Kind regards,

Pet'

Thanks a lot!
I actually thought abouz doing jump squats but unfortunately my appartment's roof is too low...do you have any substitutions?

Concerning C&J: wouldn't be these be too much for the shoulders?

Hello,

@Marc
I actually thought abouz doing jump squats but unfortunately my appartment's roof is too low...do you have any substitutions?
If you have relatively thick rubber band (or a relatively heavy bell), you can control the negative phase, then doing the positive phase as fast as you can). I guess that way, you will not jump ;).

Concerning C&J: wouldn't be these be too much for the shoulders?
An A+A session with C&J will maintain a moderate training volume. Plus, the Jerk part of the move is also based on an impulse, so it taxes less the shoulders than a standard press. I already did a lot of C&J with no recovery issue. I did not experience pain or whatever neither.

Another solution, which would be even simpler would be the following one: removing the FSQ and the C&J, but doing only swings. However, going for heavy swings, with sets of 5. I experienced this: sets of 5, with OA Swings @40. I rested as needed between the sets. I did that for 30 minutes, 2 to 3 times a week. This gives a huge conditioning and power. It also trains mental toughness because this is only one exercise, this is almost boring. However, you can really focus on technique and give as much power as you can.

I got this idea because in the following article, in the "General vs. Special Conditioning", we can read: "a reliable general endurance program, like 100-200 heavy swings a few times a week, is all you need." :)
What Is “Conditioning”?

Kind regards,

Pet'

Last edited:
Long cycle, 3-4 reps usually gets me up to the right HR, I'm really interested to hear about jerk only though from anyone that's done jerk only sessions.

Hello,

@Marc
You are welcome !

I'd go for 3 to 5 reps per side. The frame is 3-5 on the right (or left), then rest, then 3-5 on the other side. Rest is important here because each rep has to be as powerful as you can do. The weight has to be heavy enough as well.

Kind regards,

Pet'

Long cycle, 3-4 reps usually gets me up to the right HR, I'm really interested to hear about jerk only though from anyone that's done jerk only sessions.

1 clean + 5 jerks is about right for A+A repeats. I've done this with single 24kgs and the dynamics seemed about right. Have also done 1 clean + 5 jerks many times with double 16kgs and that does well, too. If I do C&J reps, I do 2-3 per repeat.

Thanks a lot, everybody.

Rewieving everything, I will go for fsq 2x/week (following STRONG) and double swings since I really want to own those 2x32s.

So, after putting it to the test for 1 week I made some modifications.

BW A
1a. OAPU: 5x2 (work up to 3x5)
1b. Pistol: 5x2 (work up to 3x5)
2a. Band-resisted pushup: 3x5-10
2b. Weighted Pullup: 3x5-10

BW B
1. Band-assisted ring muscle up (from l-sit): 5x2 (work up to 3x5)
2a. Explosive ring pullup (false grip, from l-sit): 3x3
2b. Weighted ring dip: 3x5-10
3a. Pike press between parallettes (feet elevated): 3x5-10
3b. HLR: 3x5-10

Kettlebell sessions and weekly structure stay the same.

Would love to hear your opinion.

Hello,

@Marc
Is it "normal" that there is no leg training in "BW B" ? Maybe you are doing it in a kettlebell sesssion so it permits you to get rest ?

Otherwise, I like you push/pull training principle !

Kind regards,

Pet'

@pet' Thank you very much!
Yes, it is normal because the kettlebell session is double front squats and double swings.
However, I will have to switch to training 3x/week due to time constrains (Cutting back training to 3x/week).
Nevertheless, good to have an approved routine in the "library".

Hello,

@Marc
Oh sorry, I did not see your other thread ! I keep writting on your thread so :)

Kind regards,

Pet'

Why go to 3*10 before you progress on the weighted dips & pullups ?

1-5 is the commonly accepted rep range for raw strength, so when I can do 6 comfortably I think it's time to add more weight.

I also do higher reps (typically around 12-15) for power development in the same workout but they are mostly to switch the CNS on & get everything firing & to unwind after the heavy stuff. I always do them at a very high cadence, so it adds a bit of power training to the workout.

I'm in the process of creating a new program for when I finish my current one in the next week or so. I like a lot of what @Marc drew up here, and am hoping for some feedback on my modifications.

My long-term goals are half body weight press, 2.5x deadlift, and muscle-up on rings. I've been focused on pressing and deadlifting for the past 6+ months, and want a routine that will give me a change of pace for a month or so (may stick to it longer if I like it, but will dedicate at least 4 weeks), while still complimenting those long-term goals (especially the press, where I am much further away from my goal than the deadlift).

Current plan is this - I will work out 4-5 days a week, committing 2 days to the 'strength' template (alternating A and B) and 2 to the 'conditioning'. If I want to workout a 5th day, I'll decide whether I want an additional strength or conditioning day based on how I am feeling. Note that I will also plan on GTG'ing pistols and push-ups, inspired by @pet' work on high volume - these I will do by feel and will cut back if they interfere with the main work.

Strength Template A

Warm-up:
*False grip ring hangs: 3x1, working up to :30 each
*TGU: 1x1 @ 16, 20, 24kg

Primary Focus
*Band Assisted Muscle-up on Rings: 10x1
*Explosive Ring Pull-up: 3x3
*TGU: 5x1 @ 32, 36, or 40kg

Extras (time permitting)
*HLR practice
*Windmills

Strength Template B

Warm-up:
*False grip ring hangs: 3x1, workign up to :30 each
*Goblet Squat: 1x5 @ 16, 20, 24kg

Primary Focus
*Band Assisted Muscle-up on Rings: 10x1
*Weighted Ring Pull-ups: work up to 5x5, then add more weight
*Ring Dips: work up to 5x5, then add more weight

Extras (time permitting)
*HLR practice
*Windmills

Conditioning

Option 1: S&S style swings - 10x10, heavy weight (36 or 40kg), rest as needed

Option 2: C&J - follow Strong Short Course template with 2x24 (potentially 2x28 if that feels more appropriate - havent tested myself on C&J yet). Use weights that are heavy enough to work on power output, but not so heavy that it becomes a 'strength' session.

I would love input! Specifically, I have two questions:
1) does this look like enough pull-up/dip volume on the strength days to progress towards a muscle-up? I am testing pull-ups in another week or so, when I finish the fighter pull-up program (I just did 8, 7, 6, 6, 5 without a ton of sweat, and know that most who finish the program end in the 10-15 max range), so think it is time to start focusing on weighted and explosive pull-ups at this point.
2) on the conditioning piece, any thoughts on C&J v. swings? I'm attracted to C&J as I've never focused on them much and they look fun, and feel like they might be a nice way to assist my pressing goals as I take a break from the C&P for awhile. Can't go wrong with swings, of course, but some variety would be nice.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom