all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Bodyweight Ladders Progressions?

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Hogar#

Level 4 Valued Member
Hello to all members.
First off, a little background on me. I am a police officer, aged 45. Untill 2017. I was training swimming and KB, mainly S&S at that point, which brought me to the best shape of my life despite being 40 yo (press 32 kgx1, TGU 36kg etc...). TGU and swings are the best exercises I ever tried, and blended into S&S program they brought me great results.
Then things went bad. In summer 2017. I was diagnosed GiantCell Bone tumor in my right wrist, and since then I passed 5 surgeries untill 2021.
Between surgeries I tried to get back to training (thanks a lot .@Anna C for your most valuable help). You can see her excellent advice and video at Kettlebell - TGU modification?.
Anyway, I am lucky that I am now a year after my last surgery, healed from tumor and ready to regain strength and endurance I had before disease.
But, I have some restrictions. Due to agressive nature of tumor and reccurance that occured, my distal radius bone had to be resected and replaced with allograft. And because of that my right wrist had to be fused completely. Due to my fused wrist, I can not do KB cleans, presses or TGU (the KB can not rest on my forearm because it puts preassure on the exact place where my bone was resected and transplatated, and it is painfull). Also, any kind of press with barbell or dumbbell is not possible (I can not bent my wrist to grab the bar and press it) so, unfortunatly, TGU with dumbbell is also not doable.
Last few months, since my surgeon allowed me to fully load my wrist, but only untill it is not painfull, I was exploring how can I train around my restrictions. I found I can do knuckle pushups, inverted rows (using TRX because it compensate my wrist immobility) and swings.
Since I was very weak after last surgery (I could do 4-5 pushups only), I did pushups and TRX rows folowing RoP rep sheme and programming, and KB swings in the S&S manner.
It helped a lot. I can do 8-10 pushups and rows with 10kg weight vest. I am also swinging 20 kg KB.
I tried to structure a routine that will help me regain strength and will complement my swimming, with what I have and can do. After reading Strongfirst and DaveDraper forums, I discoverd Dan Martin Program Minimum (DMPM), so my plan is as folow...

1. 2-3 times a week swimming, slowly progressing from 600 m to 3 km per session.
2. 2-3 times a week DMPM

DMPM will be as Dan John structured it:
1. Warmup
2. 10-15 KB Swings, 20 kg, no WV (weight vest)
3. Knuckle Pushups, 10kg WV
4. Goblet Squat, 20 kg KB and 10 kg WV
5. TRX Row, 10kg WV
6. KB suitcase carry 20m
7. Stretch

DanJohn suggests exercises 2. - 5. to do in descending ladders of 54321.

And here comes my dillema.

I would like to incorporate a kind of progression in the program, in the way as folows:
- number of swings keep the same, but over time increase number of reps
- ladders of pushups, GS and rows increase in the limd of FPP sheme - start with 5 sets of 54321 reps and build by adding one rep each session to 6 sets of 654321, than build up until 10 sets of 10087654321. That means also 10 sets of KB swings.
If I achieve that, it would probably be a good time to change to some other routine.

I must note that KB swings, pushups, rows and goblet squats fits perfectly with swimming

Any toughts or suggestions on progression plan? Should I maybe use ascending ladders?

And, sorry for the long post... I felt I needed.to explain my life circumstances.

Last edited:
I think your proposed pushup progression is rather too conservative. Also, I do not think that there is some significant difference on ascending vs. descending ladders when it comes to pushups.
- number of swings keep the same, but over time increase number of reps
I am not sure I understood this - number of reps of swings? Then the number of swings won't be the same, right?
Good way of progression in swings is to increase density, just like described in S&S.
I must note that KB swings, pushups, rows and goblet squats fits perfectly with swimming
Or pretty much the opposite - swimming fits perfectly with everything else ;)
Any toughts or suggestions on progression plan? Should I maybe use ascending ladders?
Just yesterday one guy here wrote he applies delta 20 on his pushups. Just keep the total number of reps between consecutive days, weeks and months bigger or lower by 20% compared to the last. Do one step back after two steps forward. Like doing 100, 120, 150, 110, etc. on your particular days. Wave the volume, but increase it over time - just like stocks when they grow during bull markets :D
And I have several recommendations, going beyond your original question:

• Try to use different tempo on your pushups. Go super-slow or do power pushups.
  • Try static bodyweight positions, which does not require flexed wrist. L-sit on knuckles, tuck planche on knuckles, tiger position (this one is difficult, but worth learnig ) L-sit and tuck planche can be performed on knuckles - I just tried it :D Tuck planche pushups on knuckles for reps is worthy long-term goal.
  • Buy gymnastic rings.
  • If you want to perform big squat, then Zercher squat is the way to go for you.
And congratulations to your big win and good luck!

I am not sure I understood this - number of reps of swings? Then the number of swings won't be the same, right?
Good way of progression in swings is to increase density, just like described in S&S.
Yes, it is typing failure. It was meant to be increase in number of sets.

Thanks for suggestions.
I am famioiar with delta 20, used it before with swings and presses. Just overlooked it...
Thanks.

Just yesterday one guy here wrote he applies delta 20 on his pushups. Just keep the total number of reps between consecutive days, weeks and months bigger or lower by 20% compared to the last. Do one step back after two steps forward. Like doing 100, 120, 150, 110, etc. on your particular days. Wave the volume, but increase it over time - just like stocks when they grow during bull markets :D
I have just put some ideas to paper. What comes out looks great. And also less boring than my original plan.

I will try that way, waving, rather then linear progression.

Thanks a lot.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom