all posts post new thread

Bodyweight Bodyweight only routines

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Gary W

Level 5 Valued Member
Im not keen on convict conditioning or naked warrior, neither appeal to me for some reason.

Ive wanted to do 4-8 weeks high rep body weight only for a while but just cant put down my kbs.
Ive had my eye on this for a while, what are people opinions?

It takes you from week 1 workout 1, 60 pushups 80 situps and 9 Pullups
To week 15, providing you dont repeat weeks obviously
400 pushups 500 situps 60 pullups and 300 dips...thats would be done MWF! Seems like alot, dont know if thats realistic

What others are there?

Hello @Gary Wilson

For the push portion, I always have noticed an excellent transfer from low rep hard variation moves (like OAP, OAOLPU, HSPU) to high rep easy variations - meaning regular push ups. Doing so, one can gain strength and will get muscular endurance as a by-product. Reps can be fairly low: 25 to 30 HSPU a day is all it takes to build up to 500 push ups or even more.

Mixing HSPU and OAP can be a good option. HSPU will drastically help for the dip, even with a reduced ROM.

Same is true for core. 3 to 5 sets of 3 to 5 reps, almost daily of the following
HLR (and its progression/regression), dragon flag (and its progression/regression), OAP (and its progression/regression). With the core, the idea is to get:
- anti extension (flag)
- anti lateral flexion (OAP)
- anti rotation (OAP, HLR with a super motion)
- flexion with neutral spine (HLR)

This 'strategy' will lead to the exact same results with more strength gains (endurance as by-product), shorter sessions, easier recovery.

I have not not noticed this with pull ups though. Some folks claim it works as well. Maybe that's just my body.

For runs, be careful with surface and technique. 30 miles a week is serious business assuming all the calisthenics and swimming. Shin splints can easily occur if one is not progressive.

Kind regards,

Pet'

I was more interested in the bodyweight stuff not the running and swimming, MTB and walking is more my thing.

Thanks for that some great information for me to work with there

Im not keen on convict conditioning or naked warrior, neither appeal to me for some reason.

Ive wanted to do 4-8 weeks high rep body weight only for a while but just cant put down my kbs.

400 pushups 500 situps 60 pullups and 300 dips...thats would be done MWF! Seems like alot, dont know if thats realistic

What others are there?
Just looking at the pull-up numbers I know I wouldn't progress that fast. The increase in volume is huge from week to week. Way over my actual recovery abilities.

Great minds think alike Gary. Decided to do a month of bodyweight. 2 days in.

Day
Pushup ladders (5,10,15,20) 2-4 ladders
Hindu Squats 4 x 25 adding a rep each day. Quads are sore.
Pullups 5 x 3 (adding a rep each day) so aiming for 16, but I did 5 x 4 for 20 today
Band Pull-aparts 4 x 25.
3 rounds of ab roller x 10, stomach vacuum x 4 plank
30-45 minute run

Day 2
Substitute Dips 5 x 10 for pushups
Hindu Squats
Pullups
Band Pull-Aparts
Omit ab work
10 Hill Sprints of 75-80 yards

Aiming 5-6 days a week. Haven't squatted in a while. 204 Squats in 2 days and my quads are sore.

Play with handstand for a while. And hang, and squat mobility drills. I know that's not a program but both 3 are great drills that are forgotten, and you can easily choose a template for it.

What others are there?

I think it would be much much more effective to scale the difficulty of the pushups by moving to harder versions, rather than just piling on the volume.

At least that's how it's been for me, and progressing the difficulty is usually how I see well regarded bodyweight routines doing it (Gymnasitc Bodies, Reddit Bodyweight, Start Bodyweight, etc.)

Hello,

Mixing sets and reps using different variations is what seems to offer a lot of benefits to break a plateau. It probably comes from the fact that we change the routine :

As always, at some point the body will adapt though. That's why this is great to do some kind of training block from time to time.

I guess it worked in the article because Max Shank has a strength training background.

Kind regards,

Pet'

What others are there?

I know this is a SF column so Naked Warrior, @Karen Smith and Aleks Salkin get thumbs up but……

Read anything and everything by the Kavadlo brothers. Their info is dogma free and top quality. I’ve been fortunate enough to train under Danny’s guidance, he is a top quality coach and walks his talk.

Hello,

Danny claims himself to be a student of strength. This does not prevent him to use both calisthenics and barbells. By the way, I think his last book is about a mix between these two modalities.

Kind regards,

Pet'

Great minds think alike Gary. Decided to do a month of bodyweight. 2 days in.

Day
Pushup ladders (5,10,15,20) 2-4 ladders
Hindu Squats 4 x 25 adding a rep each day. Quads are sore.
Pullups 5 x 3 (adding a rep each day) so aiming for 16, but I did 5 x 4 for 20 today
Band Pull-aparts 4 x 25.
3 rounds of ab roller x 10, stomach vacuum x 4 plank
30-45 minute run

Day 2
Substitute Dips 5 x 10 for pushups
Hindu Squats
Pullups
Band Pull-Aparts
Omit ab work
10 Hill Sprints of 75-80 yards

Aiming 5-6 days a week. Haven't squatted in a while. 204 Squats in 2 days and my quads are sore.

I know its bodyweight but still...i dont think i could do that much every day haha

I mean this morning i done a mix of kbs and bodyweight, in a circuit as i only get 1hr in morning and spend half hr waking up and warming up so 30mins for actual workout, circuit gets it done quicker and i like the extra cardio i get from it, i keep everything under MAF as its just how i like it.
I done...
15x swings
Oylimpic ring dips
Goblet squat
Pullups
Rounds of 55433
Then
2x10 ab roller

And i was pretty fried but felt good throughout the day.

Thanks for the other suggestions i will look at them over the next few weeks ?

Hello,

Mixing sets and reps using different variations is what seems to offer a lot of benefits to break a plateau. It probably comes from the fact that we change the routine :

As always, at some point the body will adapt though. That's why this is great to do some kind of training block from time to time.

I guess it worked in the article because Max Shank has a strength training background.

Kind regards,

Pet'
I wont be trying them wrist push ups any time soon though, they look like asking for my skinny little wrists to snap!

15x swings
Oylimpic ring dips
Goblet squat
Pullups
Rounds of 55433
Then
2x10 ab roller

Well rounded and concise @Gary Wilson

There's loads of tweaks and variables in there for same but different and some waviness should you feel to stir it now and then too. ?

My favourite bw programme is 5x5.
Ease of implementation. Add a rep more than the last, have an easy session here and there. Onwards, consolidate 5x5. Do something else. Repeat with harder variations. ?

hate hate hate hate hate the ab roller.

The only thing worse than the ab roller, is using 2 plate-loadable dumbbells (1 in each hand), as unilateral ab roller death.

Have you checked out Original Strength? Lots of info in SF forum and on YouTube as well.

I have to admit, I played with OS for a while, and unless one is elderly or in need of serious rehab, I just didn't get it.

For mobility, strength, and body awareness, I didn't find anything I can't already get from the modalities of yoga, pilates, gymnastics, and calisthenics.

And if I want to go full "movement modality", with animal crawls, primal moves, and such, I find Ido Portal and similar more aspirational.

Last edited:
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom