all posts post new thread

Bodyweight Bodyweight only routines

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Well rounded and concise @Gary Wilson

There's loads of tweaks and variables in there for same but different and some waviness should you feel to stir it now and then too. ?

My favourite bw programme is 5x5.
Ease of implementation. Add a rep more than the last, have an easy session here and there. Onwards, consolidate 5x5. Do something else. Repeat with harder variations. ?
Its just a rip off of dan martin program minimum, its something i always go to when im in-between programs or just not knowing what to do, i rest 1 min ish after each exercise and a couple mins between rounds. Always feel good after. ?

hate hate hate hate hate the ab roller.

The only thing worse than the ab roller, is using 2 plate-loadable dumbbells (1 in each hand), as unilateral ab roller death.
Haha i love it, i dont offen do it but when i do i think i need to do this more, feel it in abs lats and traps the next day!

I have to admit, I played with OS for a while, and unless one is elderly or in need of serious rehab, I just didn't get it.

For mobility, strength, and body awareness, I didn't find anything I can't already get from the modalities of yoga, pilates, gymnastics, and calisthenics.

And if I want to go full "movement modality", with animal crawls, primal moves, and such, I find Ido Portal and similar more aspirational.
I have had the same thoughts as well actually. OS somewhat "opened the door" for me at least to some of the other movement culture modalities. I love Ido's stuff, it is beautiful and full of artistry. From a health standpoint, OS is much more manageable for myself.
My point, which I did not articulate well, or at all, to the OP, was more of looking outside "calisthenics" as pushups/pullups/etc...

Im not keen on convict conditioning or naked warrior, neither appeal to me for some reason.

Ive wanted to do 4-8 weeks high rep body weight only for a while but just cant put down my kbs.
Ive had my eye on this for a while, what are people opinions?

It takes you from week 1 workout 1, 60 pushups 80 situps and 9 Pullups
To week 15, providing you dont repeat weeks obviously
400 pushups 500 situps 60 pullups and 300 dips...thats would be done MWF! Seems like alot, dont know if thats realistic

What others are there?
I have a Bodyweight ebook l
program I launched A few months back on my website. Called Built by Bodyweight. It has many progressions and also helps you build to a OAPU or OAOLPU.
www.coachkarensmith.com

Hello,

I also appreciate a lot Ido's stuff, even if this is extremely hard to achieve. I complete agree with @Rick213
Scott Sonnon also has something similar, which would be some sort of blend between bdw flows and tool use (clubs, kb, bdw, etc...)

At some point, carefully picked up exercises can give an "acceptable" level of strength. For instance, for a few months, I had a daily diet of HSPU, OAP, OAOL PU, uneven pull ups, pistols, front / back lever, HLR and dragon flags. Nothing more, nothing fancy. Daily volume was fairly low. The entire session lasted about 15/20 minutes. Recently I tested the TGU (I reached Simple several times, so technique was not an "issue"). I am still able to do Simple (which is slightly more than 1/2bdw) quite comfortably without touching the bell.

After each session, I use my own flexibility & mobility routine (twist hold + full back bridge + front / side split + toe touch (on the feet / on the ground) + deep squat

At the end of the day, one just has to find what works for his / her own body, depending on the goal and constraints.

Kind regards,

Pet'

Scott Sonnon also has something similar, which would be some sort of blend between

I bought a flow fit dvd some years ago now.
It's a blend of Hindu push ups, stretching, movement based workflow, ground based, animal move, ashtanga yoga thing.
I dipped in and out, forgot about it, revisited it here and there and then spent a bit more time on it.
Really like it.....I do it as an easy-ish movement assessment and maybe go with more complexity if up for it.
The later progressions and to make them graceful is a good balance I'd argue for most fitness-ey focused movement based things other than actual break dancing and all that kind of thing.
A series of moves in a circuit, includes deep squat on each for about 15-20 minutes. Go as intense as your movement will allow.
A great little bw movement thing.

While im figuring out what to do, this morning i done
15x swings
Oylimpic ring pushups
Goblet squat
Oylimpic ring rows
5 rounds 55555
Then practice some holds on rings

I really enjoy the rings its something i want to incorporate more into my routine

While im figuring out what to do, this morning i done
15x swings
Oylimpic ring pushups
Goblet squat
Oylimpic ring rows
5 rounds 55555
Then practice some holds on rings

I really enjoy the rings its something i want to incorporate more into my routine
Very DMPM-esque in your routine, Gary! ?

Yes, i do enjoy it and keep going back to it, to make it completely bodyweight though i might do Pistols holding rings instead of goblet squat and replace swings with jump rope

Just tried some handstand pushups, harder than they seem! got myself into the position but think im going to work on just holding that position for a while before trying to press.

My kids were very impressed though haha

After each session, I use my own flexibility & mobility routine (twist hold + full back bridge + front / side split + toe touch (on the feet / on the ground) + deep squat

Ive been trying to do more Stretching, been aiming for 10-15mins every evening as i drive all day and feel like i need it before bed.
Ive been doing 2-3 rounds of windmills, Cossack, pump (downdog to updog) and lunge
I think i might start tring to replace lunge with a full bridge, my hips and back will thank me after driving all day!

Just tried a full bridge...got a long way to go haha

Ive been trying to do more Stretching, been aiming for 10-15mins every evening as i drive all day and feel like i need it before bed.
Ive been doing 2-3 rounds of windmills, Cossack, pump (downdog to updog) and lunge
I think i might start tring to replace lunge with a full bridge, my hips and back will thank me after driving all day!

Just tried a full bridge...got a long way to go haha
Perhaps Hampon will interest you. Based off of Coach Wades stuff.

Hello @Gary Wilson

Stretching is something that needs time. I've built mine over years, and religiously do it everyday. However, with daily practice, it comes fast. I rarely goes far beyond 'pain' to keep progressing. I just stop when I feel I can get injured.

As mentioned by @Stefan Olsson Wade's stuff is pretty good and I've used it. I've just added a few things I need (splits and plenty of twists, shoulder stuff for boxing).

A good rule of thumb, IHMO, is to have a général baseline. From there we can add a few things based on special needs (activities, injury, etc...)

Kind regards,

Pet'

Perhaps Hampon will interest you. Based off of Coach Wades stuff.

Thanks for that, defo gonna practice some of these, i forgot how good hanging is, need to start that up again too.
I like that twist stretch too ?

Been loving the gymnastic rings, quite addictive!
Need to start practicing the false grip which i completely suck at!

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom