all posts post new thread

Bodyweight Bodyweight program on vacations

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

damogari

Level 8 Valued Member
I am working out with barbell and kettlebells for some time and consider myself intermediate lifter, but I am going on longer vacations in April and will be 4 weeks away from weights. I am looking for some programming/exercise selection tips to work out on the road.

I am heav-ish male (~98kg at 185cm), have just basic experience with bodyweight movements which I use as assistance for barbell/kb work. I am able to do:

- push ups (standard, diamond, clapping, handstand, singles of 1 arm with ugly form)
- squats (air, bulgarian, but not pistols cause my knees have some mileage)
- pull ups (about 10)
- ab exercises (hlr to the bar, ab wheel from knees)
- full bridges

But I would love to learn new movements.

We will move frequently so I had to assume that pull up bar will not be available all the time, as well as dip bars, but I can buy and take with me some power bands if it helps, and can lift my fiancee (~48kg) for fireman/zercher squats or other movements (get up or press if she manage to hold tight ;)). We will have a nice portion of rucking as well.

My initial plan was to start working on 1 arm push up, l-sit (can hold with only one leg up yet) and adding some volume with normal push ups, HSPU and squats, along with some core work (planks, windshield wipers). But I am not sure if its complete and have no idea how to setup sets/reps and specific progressions.

Can you recommend some basic plan and/or progressions adequate for my beginner level?

I know that these are vacations and many people choose to rest, but last months I trained moderately and don't need to pause my progress, especially for long 4 weeks. I would like to use this time away from weights and explore great world of calisthenics.

Thank you!

Last edited:
I switched to full Bodyweight training 4 months ago from weights and this was one of the best decisions i’ve ever made regarding training (considering my total health, strength and body composition)...

Now my training diet consists of Push Ups, Pull Ups and Ring Dips (plus band pull aparts from healthy shoulders)....that’s it

My plan to go is high volume and high frequency training, because i discovered that it worked best for my body....2/3/5 ladders (never to failure) worked wonders and i’m gradually building more volume (i’m now at 50 total reps x movement a day, 6 days a week)

I think your selection of bw movements is solid...i think ladders would be a training option to consider

Honestly, don't worry too much about training and just enjoy your holidays especially since you will be moving a lot.
However, I can understand you (would do the same). You could consider buying gymnastic rings. They are excellent for upper body developement and you can easily hang them on a tree branch.
As far as learning new skills it depends on whether you want to keep working on them after the 4 weeks. It would not make any sense to start working on a specific skill just to ditch it after 4 weeks which is way too short for most skills.
I'd rather recommend usimg the exercises you are already familiar with and doing 3-10 sets depending on reps: do 10-100 total reps and split them onto the sets accoring to intensity, i.e. 10x2 for oapu whereas 3x30 for regular pushups), of submaximal to maximal reps.
Example:
1a. Ring dips
1b. Pull ups
1c. Airbourne lunge

Do 5 sets of submax to max reps

This is just an example. If I was in your place I'd train 2-3x week using exercises that I don't have to "aquire" first. As for sets/reps I'd just do whatever I am up to that day. Having a phase like this every then and when is really refreshing for the mind (and body) while still getting in solid work.

Now my training diet consists of Push Ups, Pull Ups and Ring Dips (plus band pull aparts from healthy shoulders)....that’s it

My plan to go is high volume and high frequency training, because i discovered that it worked best for my body....2/3/5 ladders (never to failure) worked wonders and i’m gradually building more volume (i’m now at 50 total reps x movement a day, 6 days a week)

I think your selection of bw movements is solid...i think ladders would be a training option to consider
Thank you for advice. Push, Pull, Dips in Ladders, noted.

Honestly, don't worry too much about training and just enjoy your holidays especially since you will be moving a lot.
However, I can understand you (would do the same).
I understand the need for rest and enjoy the vacations. I did it once during my 4 week trip to Thailand, where my only activity was walking. Unfortunately I didn't feel as well as I am normally, when my training regime is dialed in. I came back weaker and fatter. Training program, even minimalistic and basic one, will keep me energized and will make food taste better ;)
You could consider buying gymnastic rings. They are excellent for upper body developement and you can easily hang them on a tree branch.
Thats a great idea, and I will consider this. It would be great for so many things like pull ups, dips, rows.
As far as learning new skills it depends on whether you want to keep working on them after the 4 weeks. It would not make any sense to start working on a specific skill just to ditch it after 4 weeks which is way too short for most skills.
I didn't write it but definitely want to improve on bodyweight movements after vacations as well. I think it would improve my strength and body control without taxing body like barbell work. In the past I was avoiding calisthenics because I was always a bigger guy (over 110kg), but recently I lost much weight and I want start using my body in different ways than before. OAOLPU, free handstand, beast pull up are goals I want to reach in future.
I'd rather recommend usimg the exercises you are already familiar with and doing 3-10 sets depending on reps: do 10-100 total reps and split them onto the sets accoring to intensity, i.e. 10x2 for oapu whereas 3x30 for regular pushups), of submaximal to maximal reps.
Example:
1a. Ring dips
1b. Pull ups
1c. Airbourne lunge

Do 5 sets of submax to max reps

This is just an example. If I was in your place I'd train 2-3x week using exercises that I don't have to "aquire" first. As for sets/reps I'd just do whatever I am up to that day. Having a phase like this every then and when is really refreshing for the mind (and body) while still getting in solid work.
Thats a great advice, thank you @Marc. I should not complicate things too much.
The Naked Warrior?
The time tested SFB Bodyweight Program Minimum: The Naked Warrior
The answer for my question was there all the time. I need to get back to Chief's classic.

Yesterday I moved quickly through Get Strong book by Kavadlo Brothers and found the Recommended Routine on Reddit (what do you think about it?).
I am slowly figuring out a plan with 2 days of strength practice (oapu, handstand, one leg squats/lunges) and 2 days of volume with known easy progressions (push ups, pull ups, squats, lunges, planks) along with walking and rucking as aerobic part. My fiancee also wants to train with me so I need to figure out regressions for her, but I think we will have a lot of fun.

Last edited:
@damogari The Naked Warrior was the first Pavel's book I read, and true turning point in my approach to (bodyweight) strength training. Years later I had the privilege to attend the very first SFB Bodyweight Cert, and teach together with Pavel at the 3rd one.

Add the sequel (Hardstyle Abs), some swings, snatches or deadlifts, Original Strength for movement variety, and you have all you need.

Our SFB Bodyweight is truly one inch wide/mile deep simple, but sinister principle based bodyweight training like no other - and I saw it all. I can't recommend to take part at the SFB Course or Cert enough - this stuff is awesome.

A TRX like suspension trainer doesn’t take up much space, and gives you loads of options, especially for pulling.

i prefer HSPU, done in ladder. Focus on adding the deep. Some L-sit for your midsection.
Bodyweight exercises are very good for refresh the body after heavy lifting.
Skip leg. You're on vacation. Have fun :)

pushups (or dips), pullups/chinups (if possible), bodyweight squats, hiking/rucking.

You could do them for reps to train Strength Endurance, or do more difficult variations as a skill/strength practice as that appears to be what you prefer. I wouldn't overthink it to be honest, just mix it up and enjoy your vacation!

I know I’m late to the party, but I was away from my kettlebells for a few months and all I did was follow naked warrior gtg oapu and pistols. I was capable of doing 7-8 oapu when I got home and hit a clean n press PR. One thing doing pistols in hiking boots not recommended, as the change in heel position makes the bare foot version a little clunky.

Grease the groove tactics could be an option. You could change the exercise from each movement pattern weekly.

Example:
100 push ups a day (add 25 per day)
200 air squats a day (add 25 per day)
Hollow holds and hardstyle planks

The next week lower the volume back down and choose a different push and squat

I would do walking lunges rather than air squats. It adds some conditioning work and single leg work.

Push-ups + Walking Lunges is a fine vacation plan for me - I'd rather get it done quickly and get on with my vacation. Adding chinups is also good if you have equipment, but I wouldn't sweat it if not. You won't suddenly deflate like a balloon after 4 weeks.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom