all posts post new thread

Bodyweight bodyweight routine other than gtg

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

shinch

Level 5 Valued Member
This question is a from a different thread but it kinda shifted to bodyweight training.

So I'm going to be traveling for a considerable amount of time. And the majority of the day I will be in business attire, so I will not be able to do gtg. And from my observation the only "approved" bodyweight program is the naked warrior gtg.

Is there another resource or program that is aligned with the principles of strong first for bodyweight?

strength aerobics - StrongFirst
The bodyweight ladder 'circuit' outlined at the end of the article is very effective from both a strength AND conditioning standpoint. I did it a few days a week for a while when GTG every day wasn't practical. Obviously depending on your strength levels you can make it suit yourself better, such as doing 2,3,5 of a particular exercise rather than 1,2,3. Or you may prefer to change one or two of the exercises. I myself used HLRs instead of pull-ups, and some days I even just did pistols and OAPUs. Very worthwhile routine when time and resources are short.

Hope this helps :)

An interesting answer from Pavel about GTG when you cannot GTG within the day :
I applied this advice from beginning of October to en of December, as I was in the same situation than you. Not optimal, but I noticed on weekends (with one or two S&S session and 24 kg press singles here and there) that I did at least maintain strength.

And here some good reading about bodyweight training by strongfirst: Surprise Yourself With Strength on This Bodyweight Training Plan - StrongFirst

I see no reason why a general program like 3-5*3-5 couldn't be used for bodyweight also. The only thing to remember is to keep the sets heavy, as in if you can do 20 pull-ups, you have to add weight for the 3-5 you do in a set.

@Antti Absolutely, resistance is resistance, so the sort of program you mention would no doubt work, I just speak from my own experience regarding the Strength Aerobics bodyweight circuit. I found that it delivered maximum benefits in minimum time (took me no longer than an S&S session), and also gave the aerobic benefit which (for me) meant that additional 'conditioning' work like traditional burpees and circuits were no longer necessary.

@Antti Absolutely, resistance is resistance, so the sort of program you mention would no doubt work, I just speak from my own experience regarding the Strength Aerobics bodyweight circuit. I found that it delivered maximum benefits in minimum time (took me no longer than an S&S session), and also gave the aerobic benefit which (for me) meant that additional 'conditioning' work like traditional burpees and circuits were no longer necessary.

Sure, I in no way meant to contradict your advice, I was merely trying to suggest an alternative. Your suggestion also has more of a focus in conditioning, which may very well be better for the goals of the original poster.

Thanks for all the advice! I think I have an idea of what I am going to try implementing.

Lots of other sources for bodyweight strength. Two worth looking at:

1. The "recommended routine" from the Bodyweight Fitness group on Reddit. This is kind of like you're describing: 3x5-8 of major movements (push, pull). Progression comes from moving to harder variants. Also includes bodyline work (plank, hollow body hold) and skill work (handstands).

2. Gymnastic Bodies. Not free, but the core program, Foundation 1, isn't that bad. A lot of people swear by it. As a beginner, I found it really useful. But the forum and community is a little toxic (anyone who doesn't parrot the party line gets banned), so stick with Strongfirst for the community.

Edit: I can't post links (too new, I guess?), so you'll have to search.

Easy strength. Master SFG Jon Engum used the ROP ladders for HSPUs. Aleks Salkin used the "Strong" program from kettlebell strong for HSPUs as well.

and me, I have used a Justa singles for pistols

When I'm forced to be away from heavy KBs, I pack a set of gymnastics rings with adjustable straps and follow the 1/2/3/4/5 x 5 progression with handstand pushups in an effort to maintain the overhead pressing. I have yet to find a place in the world where I couldn't rig them up if I look around hard enough.

I second the 3-5 approach with a small handful of high tension bodyweight exercises. One arm push-ups, pistols, pull-ups, jandas, knees to elbows etc. Whenever I travel OAPs, pistols, and pull-ups are my go-to exercises using 3-5 method. Easily done in a hotel room, use a bathroom door for your pull-ups. I like it every other day.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom