all posts post new thread

Bodyweight Bodyweight + Simple&Sinister

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Marc

Level 6 Valued Member
Hey guys,

I am Marc from Germany and this is my first post, so hi to everyone.

I put together a routine which combines 3x/week BW and 2x/S&S.
My ultimate goals are weighted pistols, OAOLPUs and Sinister status.
In addition to that I added dips and pullups for some hypertrophy.
So here it is:

Bodyweight (mon-wed-sat)
1. Pistols: 5×3 (I can do full pistols left but have to lower down to a 21cm stool on the right)

2. Lever Push Up: 5×3 ( free hand on 3 finger and arm extended to the side)

3. Chin ups with weight: 3x5 alternate with pull ups: pyramid

4. Ring dip with weight: 3x5 alternate with ring dips: pyramid

5. Hanging leg raise: 3x5-10 (strict and controlled)

S&S (tue-fri)

1. One arm swings: 10x10 with 40kg

2. Get up: 5x/side with 32kg

Rest: 60-90 sec between sets. Working towards 100 one arm swings in 5 mins and 10 get ups in 10 mins.

So what do you guys think?

Thank you!
Completeley forgot some background info:

Height: 1.92m
Weight: 86kg
Bodyfat: max. 10 (visible abs)
No injuries
Goals:
Progress to weighted pistols and OAOLPU. Reach Sinister status and gain some muscle in the progress while staying lean.

Hope I did not forget anything more

Welcome @Marc
Sounds like your programme has a lot of moving parts. It also sounds like you are pretty strong already.

S&S by the book is 6 days per week as you probably know. If you really have sinister as a goal, then doing S&S twice a week may not cut it. My recommendation would be to focus on S&S.

If you wanted to throw in some body weight variety stuff I would do pull-ups. I would put the other stuff on the back burner. But that's just me...

Ok cool thanks a lot.
Yes, I know S&S is actually 2x/week.
But I kimda used it as "conditioning" 2x/week.
My main priority are pistols and OAPU (eventually weighted pistols andOAOLPU)

What would you guys recommend in that case?
Also I included the dips and pull ups for some additional hypertrophy stimulus. Good idea?

I really like your Bodyweight exercise selection. They're all big-money lifts. You're bound to get strong working with those.

Completely depends on your level of fitness, but if I were you, I would do S&S as many times as possible a week (say 4, 5 or 6 I don't know what you can handle), and do the Bodyweight exercises after. I don't think you're supposed to go even near failure with the Swings, and they are biased towards power. So it shouldn't mess up your Pistols too much. The TGU is essentially a static exercise. You'll find that doesn't tire your muscles for the bent-arm pushing (push-ups and dips). Again, you aren't supposed to go to failure on them either so that's even better.

I think the Pull-ups are vital (you need to have some kind of bent arm pull to offset the push-ups and dips). I think the Dips are good. You might not have to do them 3 times a week (1-2 times a week should work well too) but that's your call.

Just my 2 cents. I have no experience with S&S except from just looking at it, so obviously, take what I say with a grain of salt.

Then if Pistols and OAPU are your main goal rather than Sinister, I would concentrate on Naked Warrior. It should give you all you need. Especially if you GTG. If you want a little bit extra, then by all means go for the pull-ups. (But then again I think pull-ups are a good addition to everything)
I see that @305pelusa has responded as well. His input on body weight training should be listened to.

Alright thanks a lot guys.
Unfortunately GTG is not feasible for me due to university, work etc.
But I could do those two exercises 5x a week with varying rep schemes like:
3x3, 5x2, 10x1, ladders (like 1-2-3 supersetting pistols and lever pushups)
Always focusing on maximal tension and perfect technique.
Also: is it wise to rotate between weighted pull ups/dips and high volume pull ups/dips or should I choose only one option?

Hello,

@Marc
My ultimate goals are weighted pistols, OAOLPUs and Sinister status.

Your program is quite good ;)

Then if your first goals are pistols and OAOL PUs...they have to be your priority.

Did you look TNW progressions ? They are quite good. At the beginning, I had some balance (I strength I guess) problems for pistols. A tip that worked for me : I tied a little rope to a door handle (or whatever point). Then, I held the two extremities for my pistol. If there is tension in it, I have not enough balance and strength. If I put tension to get up...once again I have not enough strength. The more I practiced, the less tension I put. Finally I get it.

Heavy swings will help you because they have a lot of carryover to other moves.

I enjoy you dip / chin up as agonist and antagonist. To vary from time to time and get another skill, you can also use headstand push ups, with full ROM (instead of dips).

Related to Sinister, I would chose at least 3 or 4 session a week. Reaching Sinister with the standard with 2 session a week could be quite long.

Once you master your bdw skills, do them on a GTG fashion to simply maintain them. Then, switch to S&S.

Do not forget a little stretch and manage good recovery.

Good luck !

Kind regards,

Pet'

Hello,

@Marc
Also: is it wise to rotate between weighted pull ups/dips and high volume pull ups/dips or should I choose only one option?
They are not exactly the same, IMO.

I used to do both. For me, it occured:
high volume => lots of endurance + increase of strength
weighted (heavy) => huge increase of strength, to some extents, increase of endurance

Kind regards,

Pet'

Thank you very much! so much great no bs info in here!
If I have to set my priorities it would be:

1. master pistols and oapu
2. add some lean muscle
3. reach sinister

As you can see sinister is not the top priority. I rather did S&S for conditioning.
Maybe you guys could recommend me some conditioning programm 2x/week. So I could do 3x/week bodyweight strength and 2x/week kettlebell conditioning?

Marc... don't let this be a limitation. For about 50% of the year +/- I travel for work. I don't have access to my 'training dungeon' at home. I rely on GTG to help get me through. I am sitting in an airport as I write this. I will knock of a few pistols in a bit. Do I get a few strange looks? You bet. Do I care? Not one bit! You need to do what you can with whatever you have and whenever you can.

Hello,

@Marc
As @offwidth says, GTG is almost the only efficient solution, above all when you have a [too] flexible schedule. You can use a lot of moves with it.

Lots of folks here use it when away from home (including myself). Each time with pretty good results.

Try to GTG pistol (for e.g) for a while. I bet you will be convinced it works !

Kind regards,

Pet'

Alright guys I might give it a try. Dping a superset of pistols and lever push ups every now and then troughout the day.

As far as my main training is concerned, I think about learning the one arm clean and jerk.
For my conditioning days I would do one arm clean and jerks and/or one arm swings 2x/week.
In additon to that 3x/weel the bw routine as described above. And GTG pistols/lever pushups troughout the day.

I suffer the same problem. Because of university, I simply can't be trying to figure out when to squeeze in reps. It becomes too inconsistent. I do much better when I dedicate a 60-120 min window, 3-4 times a week for actual exercise. It just makes more sense schedule-wise for me.

Thank you very much! so much great no bs info in here!
If I have to set my priorities it would be:

1. master pistols and oapu
2. add some lean muscle

With these goals in mind, I don't think GTG makes a lot of sense. GTG is excellent for delivering neurological adaptations, but that's not the only component of strength. Muscular mass is also important (and a goal of yours!) and GTG does not deliver there.

I think you might be better served by doing something else. Perhaps using ladders for those two exercises to maximize volume and reps and get a better pump. I think 5 x 3 reps is too little for muscular development however. Think of moving your reps to 3 x 5-10 and keeping your rest at 1-3 minutes.

Just a thought.

Last edited:
I haven't done much bodyweight work for a while, so take my advice with a grain of salt. Achieving Sinister is by far the loftiest goal on your list. Kind of like wanting to squat 100K, increase your long jump, and deadlift 200K. If you get the deadlift, the others are in the bag. By the time you reach Sinister, hypertrophy will not be an issue. Neither will the strength for heavy pistols and OAOLPUs, especially if you do a little low volume practice. I'm not even at Simple, and still I have no problem knocking out almost as many pistols as I could do when I trained them, with a 1RM around 20K.

My advice: do S&S as written (5-6 days per week). Practice pistols and OAOLPU regressions once or twice a week each (GTG or ladders) for a total of 2-4 days per week of bodyweight practice. If you want to gain lean muscle, eat a lot of clean calories. When you own Simple, stop to reevaluate and make any necessary course corrections.

Tanks everyone for your replies, they helped me out a lot.
Since I already achieved simple I will dial back and concentrate on pistols and oapu.
I think doing BW 3-4×/week + KB conditioning 2/week (one arm swings and one arm clean and jerks) will suit my goals and lifestyle best.

Hello,

I already achieved simple
KB conditioning 2/week (one arm swings and one arm clean and jerks)
Simple gives you a very solid athletic base.

Besides, kb conditioning sessions are not time-consuming. I use kb swing as conditioning with very good results because it is both fast and efficient

Kind regards,

Pet'

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom