all posts post new thread

Bodyweight Bodyweight + Simple&Sinister

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
I think doing BW 3-4×/week + KB conditioning 2/week (one arm swings and one arm clean and jerks) will suit my goals and lifestyle best.

That just seems like such an excellent recipe for success to me. We're all different of course, but I've been making outstanding progress training calisthenics 4 times a week. Some people say that you should do it less often and some say more often. I think 3-4 is a really good balance where you can really push yourself hard and improve your reps every week, yet still feel fresh for each training session.

I'd be interested in hearing how things go for you. Keep us updated on this!

Hello,

3-4 is a really good balance where you can really push yourself hard and improve your reps every week, yet still feel fresh for each training session
@305pelusa is perfectly right. As long as you can recover well and if your conditioning does not exhaust you, a smart daily training is the best option.

One thing I learnt is not to pursue too many goals at the same time. If so, progress are slower and exhaustion is closer. It is far better to follow progression on 2 or 3 moves (plus "big moves" which have great carryover), achieve them and then simply maintain them while getting new skills.

From my experience:
When you have a current daily routine, it is sometimes hard to add some moves you want to do.
I dedicated time and effort to my front lever (evening when coming back from home).
Then time for OAC and now weighted chin up.
Now I am on planche.

With experience I think the smartest thing to do is to dedicate your daily routine to them.

Kind regards,

Pet'

Last edited:
Thanks a lot guys ;)
I will keep you updated!

Marc - you have been given lots of great tips above. I want to add my first thought when I read your post. you stated that the Pistol and OAOLPU are your main goal and Sinister is a secondary goal and that you are using S&S 2 x week for conditioning.

IMO you should do your Pistol/OAOLPU when fresh either by doing
1. GTG daily
or
2. 3-4 x a week in your program varying to load each practice.

as for the S&S... well you are not doing THE S&S program, you are doing swings and TGU for conditioning which is fine. Once you reach your goal for the BW skills then maintain them by doing them in a GTG fashion a few times a week then do S&S as written. ;)

Something I remind my student of often....
If you do not follow the program as written then you are not really doing THE program.

Seeing as you have set your priorities, I would say you are on the right path. Best of luck and

Thank you very much.
I put together a program that has me doing 3-4x/week OAPUs and Pistols.
For conditioning I backed off to swings, high pulls and crawling 2×/week. I do not do get ups anymore because I already have enough overhead work. For OAPU progressions I substituted lever push ups with elevated one arm push ups on a stool. I feel it translates much more to a real OAPU.
Hope to achieve OAPU und Pistols soon. And I think my next goal, once I mastered those moves, will be beast tamer ;) while maintaining OAPUs.

Thank you very much.
I put together a program that has me doing 3-4x/week OAPUs and Pistols.
For conditioning I backed off to swings, high pulls and crawling 2×/week. I do not do get ups anymore because I already have enough overhead work. For OAPU progressions I substituted lever push ups with elevated one arm push ups on a stool. I feel it translates much more to a real OAPU.
Hope to achieve OAPU und Pistols soon. And I think my next goal, once I mastered those moves, will be beast tamer ;) while maintaining OAPUs.

let me know if you need any help during this bw journey or once you complete it and move to the Beast Tamer. I distant coach many ladies and gentleman currently for the challenge.

Hello,

@Marc
It is also possible to get a very good progression using S&S 3 days a week, and NW (so pistols and OAOL PU) 2 / 3 days a week. NW on a GTG base will let you fresh and does not dip into you S&S rest.

Kind regards,

Pet'

@Marc Have just read through this thread and wondering if you followed your approach of combining bodyweight and S&S practice and if so, what would you say after half a year?

Yes, I followed this routine and still follow a modified version.
I got my first OAP training the move 3x/week (heavy-medium-light) while on this program.
In may I dislocated my left shoulder during TGU which threw my off a bit. However, my shoulder feels pretty good again my first priority is still 5x5 OAP.

Here is what I do right now:

Mon:
1. OAP
2. Pullup
3. 1h-swings (S&S style)

Tue:
1. TGU: 5-10reps/side (keep it light and controlled 24kg)
2. Pullup
3. 1h-swings

Wed:
Same as Mon

Thu:
Same as Tue

Fri:
Same as Mo

Sat:
Rest or variety

Sun:
Rest or start over again

For OAP I am following @Karen Smith' s program:A 6-Week Program to Master the OA/OAOL Push-up
For Pullups:
The Fighter Pull-up Program Revisited

I use GtG for OAP and pistols 2-6x/week either troughout the day or parts of the day (depending on time/schedule). I do full pistol squats or airbourne lunge and full OAP or various progressions.

Also I do:
Shoulder pre & rehab: 5/week
OS resets: daily
Trifecta stretch: daily

Last edited:
I'm currently doing a swing/get up, pull up/crawling 8 week thing by Alex Salkins. Someone kindly posted a link to a page....I've tried looking for it and can't find it, probs about 5/6 weeks ago.
I'm re-running S&S, the programme itself wasn't written as such but is swings and get ups. Other day is pull ups and 10 minute crawling. Enjoying it bigly, it's great, as a certain president might say. May be worth checking, if not to do but to see how it is programmed.

Yes, I followed this routine and still follow a modified version.
I got my first OAP training the move 3x/week (heavy-medium-light) while on this program.
In may I dislocated my left shoulder during TGU which threw my off a bit. However, my shoulder feels pretty good again my first priority is still 5x5 OAP.

Here is what I do right now:

Mon:
1. OAP
2. Pullup
3. 1h-swings (S&S style)

Tue:
1. TGU: 5-10reps/side (keep it light and controlled 24kg)
2. Pullup
3. 1h-swings
4. Crawling

Wed:
Same as Mon

Thu:
Same as Tue

Fri:
Same as Mo

Sat:
Rest or variety

Sun:
Rest or start over again

For OAP I am following @Karen Smith' s program:A 6-Week Program to Master the OA/OAOL Push-up
For Pullups:
The Fighter Pull-up Program Revisited

I use GtG for OAP and pistols 2-6x/week either troughout the day or parts of the day (depending on time/schedule). I do full pistol squats or airbourne lunge and full OAP or various progressions.

Also I do:
Shoulder pre & rehab: 5/week
OS resets: daily
Trifecta stretch: daily

Awesome! Thanks a lot, @Marc for your detailed answer. That is quite an impressive workload and good to know that it works for you. Was eyeballing a mix of S&S and bodyweight practice myself for some time, but now I know I would not be able to sustain it due to time and sleep constraints.

Hello,

+1 for @Marc 's statement !

I ran NW + swings on a daily basis for a while, some times ago, with excellent results. I believe this is a pretty solid approach. By the way, if memory serves, Pavel talks about this combination in the book FAQ.

This is a short but efficient training, very "real world" oriented

Kind regards,

Pet'

He recommends adding a big pull like deadlifts, cleans or snatches 2x/week at 5x5.
However, I think S&S swings qualify as well.

@Marc would you run GTG with NW or some form of other template that got the reps in one sessions instead of throughout the day?

Excellent question, @Strong Rick!

My biggest concern with NW that I need to understand in how far I can program it when not being able to GTG throughout the day and having it to fit into the regular S&S session.

Not planning on doing it now, but I was wondering in how far it makes sense someday after reaching Simple to do NW on Mon, Wed and Fri and S&S on Tue and Thu with maintaining the status quo and not pushing towards Sinister.

Servus !

@Tobias Wissmueller
In all cases, it can be good to manage a day of "real rest", meaning doing neither GTG NW or S&S

Otherwise, and I think that is the good point of NW, is that you are not obliged at all to plan. You can hit some reps when "you feel it", when you are fresh. If you do not feel so, this is because you are not fresh enough so call it a day. This is, IMO an excellent approach because we are really forced to listen to our body.

Kind regards,

Pet'

Servus !

@Tobias Wissmueller
In all cases, it can be good to manage a day of "real rest", meaning doing neither GTG NW or S&S

Otherwise, and I think that is the good point of NW, is that you are not obliged at all to plan. You can hit some reps when "you feel it", when you are fresh. If you do not feel so, this is because you are not fresh enough so call it a day. This is, IMO an excellent approach because we are really forced to listen to our body.

Kind regards,

Pet'

Merci, @pet'! That is a wise approach. Being honest to oneself and stop when it has been enough. Always had my issues with it, but I am getting better :) Must be the age :eek:

@Marc would you run GTG with NW or some form of other template that got the reps in one sessions instead of throughout the day?

I got my first OAP and pistol without doing GTG. It was not feasible for me at that time (being in the lab or in the middle of a lecture and doing OAP/pistpls seemed strange to me).
Instead I did 3 dedicated sessions/week.
So just use GTG whenever you can and do not freak out if you cannot. You can even use it on dedicated days and/or dedicated parts of the day.
Havig 3 dedicated sessions/week + throwing in some GTG whenever possible/you feel like it seems like a good plan.
Speaking of rest days: plan at least 1-2 complete rest days/week! Meaning no training at all. Stretching/mobility/yoga is allowed (but not hard)

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom