all posts post new thread

Old Forum Bodyweight squat

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

grasshopperb

Level 1 Valued Member
I know some people dont think much of the deep bodyweight squat in terms of strength, but is it a good exercise for sciatica?  I went through a Bruce Lee phase and copied one of his isometric chain workouts, also Bob hoffman, I did the isometric hold in 3 deadlift positions, BAD MOVE. after I got severe pain down my left leg.  Although I have been to see a physio, I still have sciatica, so I am wondering if anyone has found bodyweight squats a good rehab? I find there better than barbell squats and deadlifts as there safer although I know people are not fond of it due to its lack of strengh.

Hi, Nick, well I used a wooden board, and chain, made famous by Bob hoffman and the isometric movement in the 50's, I set the chain up into a deadlift position with me bending forward as If I was going to deadlift a barbell, but there is no movement at all.  Just tension, and as I held the deadlift position bending forward I got a pain shoot down my leg, worst mistake ever.

Never done isometrics since, Nor have I done any type of weighted exercise since, I have just done BW exercise, which suits me and far less injury.

There are some websites on the isometric chain.  http://www.sandowplus.co.uk/Competition/Hoffman/hoffmanindex.htm

Look through the books on bob hoffman and the isomertic excercises

Hey Brandon,

How long ago did you do this? You can call it sciatica since that refers to the pain pattern, but it could be coming from multiple locations and each has it's own time frame to get some degree better without taking any active measures. Sometimes, you just need to let the inflammation run its immediate course before you start trying to force anything back into position or tackle it head on. There's no sense in repeating the injury, even in small degrees  by pushing too early. What's your physio got you doing? If you're already doing the BW squats, how are you sure you're keeping your spine neutral?

Brandon, when you are injured, any exercise you can do that doesn't worsen your condition is a good exercise.  My only complaint about deep bodyweight squats is that people tend to perform them for high repetitions and with poor form.  Keep the reps low, ease into any volume increases, and by all means see a doctor as Pavel suggests to get a better idea what's going on.

You might consider the windmill, which many of us have found helpful with back pain - I GTG these, even when no weights are available, because the improve the health of my back markedly.

Last but not least, please do not worry about strength until you have a firm diagnosis of your injury and a plan of action.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom