all posts post new thread

Old Forum Bodyweight stength discussions

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
I see cc as more of a body building/strength training program.  that's why the reps are higher.  Big muscles in prison gets respect. 

People in prison do not have much to choose from in terms of exercise choice, so body weight stuff makes sense.  But if your not locked up, and you have access to weights and other equipment, why would you limit yourself?

I think that CC progressions are a form of intesity wave, that helps prevent injuries.  But you can do the same with any weight program as well.  Easy Strength clearly explains to back off after a PR!  I think too many strength enthusiasts think that the road to strength is straight up!  Embrace the Wave.

Pavel, how would you recommend programming high rep health training into a strength program?  Or, would it be better to focus on strength for one cycle and high rep work on a different cycle?

So what you are saying here is that CC programming are lacking? I have followed the program for a while mostly because there is a logical progression and i really like the simplicity of BW training.
I actually read The Naked Warrior before CC and i think that they contradict each other in some parts. For example, in NW Pavel says that adding reps to regular pushups dosn't help you getting towards an One-arm pushup. But thats the whole thing with CC, "put strength in the bank" etc. Nevertheless, Paul Wade recommend everyone who are serious with their training to read The Naked Warrior.
I also want to know Pavel's opinion about the 2-1-2 second exercise pace that CC suggests. Is this really a good way to build strength? I've noticed that even early steps gets really tough when you should peform so many reps in a controlled speed.

Aleks, high rep joint health training is spelled out in Super Joints.  The general guideline is to do the same number of reps as your age in years.

-S-

"Pavel, how would you recommend programming high rep health training into a strength program?  Or, would it be better to focus on strength for one cycle and high rep work on a different cycle?"

Aleks, Steve has given a good answer. Doing such work after a strength session is another option.

"I also want to know Pavel’s opinion about the 2-1-2 second exercise pace that CC suggests."

Staffan, it is fine.  I like the pause.

"I also want to know Pavel’s opinion about the 2-1-2 second exercise pace that CC suggests. Is this really a good way to build strength? I’ve noticed that even early steps gets really tough when you should peform so many reps in a controlled speed."
Not Pavel but, as I understand, it's mostly to keep you from using momentum to cheat your way through part of the movement.

There's an interesting article on WebMD that might explain the forum reports of muscle gain from fairly easy exercises.

Okey. I Just want so make sure that i am not wasting my time with CC programming. Because  some steps are really slow progress specifically Step 2 and 3 of Pullups although I have not reach the progression standard for those steps.  But sometimes it feels a little strange when you know you can peform reps on step 5-7.

For what it is worth guys, my biggest size gains came from step 3 of the pushups and step 2 of the pullups which I did at sternum level. I used astride metronome timing and completing those steps was some of the hardest work I've ever done. The results were worth it though and really made my shoulder (especially for pushups) ready for the higher steps.

I can be monotonous but I believe as someone else once said, "You're not here to be entertained."

Chris, I don't think the edit function works for anyone.

-S-

Chris, for some things yes. I was very strict working through the first 5 steps for pushups using a metronome. Same thing for pullups through step 2. After that I worked the fighter pullup program. This proved to be too much volume for me but I got some great results until some tendinitis flared up and I had to stop. I never have been a fan of the jackknife pulls though. Just can't get a groove on them. Some exercises are like that e.g. A lot of guys can't do step 7 of the squat series but those are not a problem for me.

Ive jumped ahed on bridging since I have a very extensive background in back bending so I'm working step 8 of those. A while ago, though, I did spend a lot of time on the first three steps there too. Same for the leg raise series.

Anyway, I am a big believer in investing some serious and monotonous time on the early steps. Afte that I think you can vary things. Best upper body results I got were from those steps and completing 5 ladders in the KB press with a 24. That though, did make me stiffer whereas the body weight stuff did not. I have not always had the best luck with KBs  but I do plan on returning to them some day. I am going to start handstand pressing within the next few months and I'll be interested to see if there is any carryover to the KB press.

~C

Glad to come across this post right now.  I initially got a little overexcited with my new kb and started setting my sights on snatches and presses and all that and while I could have gone for that stuff I think it would have compromised my core skills and risked wearing my joints and tendons a bit much.

I was forced to put the kb down for a couple of weeks due to visiting my family in the US and so took the time to work on bodyweight stuff.  Actually it was Aleks article that got me on this bent.  I struggle a bit with how to work the progressions though.  I understand the value of "milking" stuff but I also feel that some of that advice is for folks who never did that kind of stuff before.  I was wondering about the purpose of it and whether there is not a simpler way.  I have been working with doing super-slow singles on bodyweight stuff for a couple of years now - 1-1.5 minute pushups, 1.5-2 minute leg lifts, 2-3 minute squats (and the occasional super-slow pullup but this less so) - and found this method to be really good for building a good understanding of the movement.  The funny thing is that I can't do "more" pushups as a result but my pushups are frigging perfect and very comfortable.  I think likely I "could" do more pushups by what most people are willing to accept as a pushup but I have it wired in that as soon as my form is at all compromised I stop....my body won't let me compromise form.  I've noticed a significant increase in my punching-skill where I can deliver quite powerful punches at relatively low velocities because the whole structure is so well connected.  Whereas before I felt the force kinda "catching" in the shoulder joint, necessitating building velocity in the sticking point to generate power, now it kinda "tunnels down" through the spine clean and smooth, like water through a tube going from my foot to my hand.  I think rather than strictly follow the progression suggested in CC I'm going to try to apply this method to the progression.  I'm going to take whatever step I feel I am capable of doing in a highly technical, clean manner and just go suuuuuper slow through it once every day, which I guess is a modified way to GTG.  Once I have that movement owned so that I can do it comfortably, smoothly and cleanly in a one to two minute movement I'll upgrade to the next step.  Anyone ever tried anything like this?  Have any suggestions or cautions?  Just thought I'd throw the method out there since I've found doing super-slow singles helped me a lot.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom