all posts post new thread

Barbell Book or others resources suggestion for barbell training

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

marco

Level 5 Valued Member
Hi all,

this is the first my first post in the barbell section.
I am an SFG I and SFB, I have the simple goals from S&S, 1/2 BW MP as ETK and I am near reaching the USSS 10 minutes snatch test.

After thet I would venture on a barbell trip and eventually became an SFL.
I have no chance to do a one day BB course, that was the best option.
What resources do you suggest to start with, to learn on how to do the lifts (for example the BB deadlift, the squat variations and the MP), programming for novices and so on.

Someone suggested me Starting Strength of Ripptoe. But what my community suggest me?

Thanks,
marco

If you're looking at taking your barbell training in a different direction, I'd recommend checking out Greg Everett's comprehensive book Olympic Weightlifting: A Complete Guide for Athletes & Coaches.

There's also Olympic Weightlifting for Sports by the same author, which is aimed at coaching the simpler 'power' variations of those lifts for those looking to improve their strength and power for other sports and activities.

And, of course, there is Pavel's Power to the People! which I gather has been more or less unchanged since its publication almost 20 years ago and introduces a number of essential principles that came to form the basis of the StrongFirst ideology.

Power to The People is a good book. Great info on exercising in general and a good minimalist barbell program.

Purposeful Primitive is a good read on how some of the American powerlifting greats did it.

Jim Wendler, tons of options.
Tactical Barbell, more minimalist.
Starting Strength, for a deep dive into mechanics.

Wow, your answers are pure gold thank you guys!

I will refer for the squats and deads to Deadlift Dynamite and for the military press to this Pavel's article:
Build a Barbell Military Press on a Kettlebell Foundation | StrongFirst

PTP Pro and Beyond Bodybuilding are a good resources too. I will refere to them and do the '3 to 5' method. You are right, so many options, I choose the simpler for now.

Everett's Olympic Weightlifting for Sports may be a good way for the future, let's see.

Thank you again all.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom