all posts post new thread

Off-Topic Book Review: Essentialism, by Greg McKeown

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

wespom9

Level 6 Valued Member
First off, I was recommended this book in a prior thread by @PavelMacek and decided to check it out. I'm going to keep it short to not give away much of the book, and instead provide a more of a teaser-style review.

Essentialism is guided by the belief that there are certain things in life that take greater priority than others. I actually see essentialism as somewhat related to minimalism; however, while minimalism scrapes to the absolute bare minimum, an essentialist will cut all the extraneous but not necessarily to the same degree.

I believe the concept is sound; it can apply to many aspects of life. Many of us here at StrongFirst will find parallels that we apply in our training; S&S is the perfect example. We do not "waste" time or energy on the extra lifts, but focus all our energy on the biggest bang for the buck exercises to maximize benefit in a short time.

McKeown touches on the concepts such as trade-offs and compromises, cutting out the "trivial many" and keeping the "essential few"

While I believe the book at times is repetitive, sometimes this is a good thing as it hammers home the point. I think it was well worth the read, and got me thinking about other ways in my life to apply the concept rather than just exercise

Interesting indeed. I have been wondering in what way principles from training are applicable in real life.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom