all posts post new thread

Off-Topic Book Review: Pressing Reset Original Strength Reloaded

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Tjerr,

I have done the “Big 5” for many years but I’m just starting to load them up. Don’t underestimate the value of the unloaded “Big 5”. They are foundational and will aid in emhancing the performance of the loaded resets. That has been especially true for me as I started late in life and with very poor reflexive strength. As we say, loading a dysfunctional movement pattern will make the dysfunction worse. Just like S&S and A+A, patience is a virtue.

PM me if you want to discuss. I’m not sure it’s appropriate for me to discuss this too much on the Strong First site.

That was the ALPHA version of ORIGINAL STRENGTH. After that Mike went off in a different direction and Geoff came on to rework the material with Tim.

I'm in the same position - I got 'Becoming Bullet proof' - is there any great addition/ difference in content between this book and the OS book? Is it really worth $xx for someone who owns BBP?

@Al Ciampa
I also feel that there is a lot of repetition or redundancy. However, I would recommend skimming through the blog posts on their homepage. And I really like the book Performance, the next level. It has clarified a lot for me and has helped me to integrate the principles into my training.

And the YouTube channel is just gold. So many great ideas and movement snacks.

Last edited:
And the YouTube channel is just gold. So many great ideas and movement snacks.

Agreed, the channel is great. Working with Tim or a good coach would probably be a lot of fun.

I have done the "Daily Reset" off and on since I first bought the original "OS" years ago. For my needs all the newer version brought little to the table.

But the books are cheap enough on kindle and I don't mind spending less than 10€ once a year to read a re-written version of the same thing ;)

"original" Reset:
1. 3 complete rolls per limb/side
2. 10 neck nods + 5 diaphragmatic breaths
3. 10 rocks + 5 diaphragmatic breaths
4. crawl for 20 steps
5. 20 cross-crawls

"reloaded" Reset:
1. 20 cross-crawls
2. 2min diaphragmatic breathing
3. 20 neck nods + 5 diaphragmatic breaths every ten nods
4. 3 complete rolls per limb/side
5. 20 rocks
6. 2min crawling

Last edited:
The “Programs” really aren’t the gold in the OS books. Instead, I would encourage you to do something in the “Big Five” resets every day. Those are:

Diaphragmic Breathing
Head Nods/Rotations
Rolling
Rocking
Gait Pattern (cross-crawls, for example)

I often do several of each in that general order. Instead of doing a specific number, I recommend doing them until you feel yourself loosening up and moving better. I find that “banging out” reps of resets is counterproductive.

I have been doing this since Dan John introduced me to Tim Anderson (on this forum!) back in the early days of SF. It has restored my movement and built a good foundation for S&S and everything else I do.

I hope that is helpful.

And I really like the book Performance, the next level. It has clarified a lot for me and has helped me to integrate the principles into my training.

I've ordered that one as well, it's currently being shipped. For OS: Reloaded version, I devoured it in a day. Since then I'm doing the reloaded reset,

"reloaded" Reset:
1. 20 cross-crawls
2. 2min diaphragmatic breathing
3. 20 neck nods + 5 diaphragmatic breaths every ten nods
4. 3 complete rolls per limb/side
5. 20 rocks
6. 2min crawling

daily and it feels great and puts a big smile on my face. Roling around is fun, especially with my 2 year old daughter joining in. Can't wait to get my hands on 'Next Level'.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom