all posts post new thread

Off-Topic Book Review: The Edge of Strength by Scott Iardella

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Rayhzel

Level 3 Valued Member
When I started reading The Edge of Strength I had just started with Scott's five week KB program KB Domination (I am in week 4 now). That program and the book have me certain that Scott know's what he is talking about.

The Edge of Strength is an overview of just about everything that has to do with strength training. I think Scott Iardella does a good job of pointing out all the important aspects of strength training and its possibilities. I also like how he is able to word his own philosophy on training. The downside of there being a really wide variety of topics is of course the lack of depth on each topic. We only get the essence of it all, which is fine obviously, but if you really want to dig deeper this book doesn't offer it. Scott Iardella obviously had a lot he wanted to share and no doubt he will dig deeper with other book releases.

However even though Scott doesn't dig deep here, he does point you the way where to go if you want to learn more, just like he does with his podcasts. The Edge of Strength is a good jump of point if you want to submerge yourself into the world of strength. I also can see how I reread this up in the future just to be reminded of all the important small and big things.

When I read something I always look for the takeaway I can use for myself (just like Scott himself always does on the podcasts). The Edge of Strength has opened my eyes further on the importance of strength and why I want to do be able to do strength training for as long as I live. It also has underscored the importance of programming and goals for me. It introduced me to strength stacking and now I understand the perpective of powerlifting and olympic lifting (even though I currently have to interest in both). And many smaller things.

I think Scott Iardella did a good job with this book on pointing out the essence of strength training and its many aspects. I think everybody could take home a few pointers after reading it.

I just got it last week and I'm reading it right now as well. Although I've only read about 30% of the book so far, I think your review is spot on. Great tips, good insights, skims the surface of a broad subject, nicely brings the focus to a good place.

I am REALLY enjoying the Rdella Training podcasts. The Best Exercise for Bullet Proof Abs? | Rdella Training : Strength Training | Functional Exercise | Kettlebells | Fitness The latest one is with Shawn Stevenson and has some great tips on sleep, and although I'm not familiar with Shawn's podcast, I could certainly listen to that voice all day!

@Anna C, I've listened to a few of Shawn's podcasts. His focus is on sleep and superfoods, it seems, aloe vera, seaweed and adaptogenic herbs. He has one of those voices: mellifluous, easy and effortless.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom