all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Books on Strength & Conditioning

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Assuming a layman reader, here are a couple that I consider to be essential reading in the broad genre:

• Starting Strength -- an introduction to barbell and the power lifts
  • Overcoming Gravity -- the "Starting Strength" of bodyweight and gymnastics
  • Enter the Kettlebell -- some might prefer earlier "Russian Kettlebell Challenge" or more recent books, but I find this one the best read
Some expansion readings that are good, if less essential, but worth reading to broaden horizons:

• Convict Conditioning -- a more calisthenics / blue collar approach to bodyweight
  • The Strongest Shall Survive -- on the surface, it says its a football S&C book, but Bill Starr's book is the granddaddy of 5x5
  • How to Eat Move and Be Healthy -- Paul Chek's book on holistic health & physical fitness

Last edited:
Scientific Principles of Strength Training by Dr. Mike Israetel

Periodization for Sports by Dr. Tudor Bompa

there are tons of applied science popular books out there, but real science texts are generally dry, hair shirt reading.

my go to foundation text is vladimir zatsiorski’s ‘science and practice of strength training‘ this used to be penn state’s survey course text, i believe.

next would be ‘principles and practice of resistance training’ by michael stone, meg stone and william sands (east tennessee state s&c dept is top notch)

an nsca membership gets you access to all their strength and conditioning journals and more papers than you could ever want or need. the library is digital now, so finding papers on topics of interest is pretty easy.

- all Pavel's books
- our StrongFirst certified instructor's manuals

Essential books and manuals in my library:

Power To The People - Pavel Tsatsouline
Starting Strength - Mark Rippetoe
Easy Strength - Dan John & Pavel
Kettlebell Muscle - Geoff Neupert
Original Strength - Tim Anderson & Geoff Neupert
Functional Training for Sports - Mike Boyle
Back Mechanic - Dr. Stuart McGill

The Strongest Shall Survive- Bill Starr

First and best program I actually followed to the letter for several years from mid 1991 to 1994 before my first deployment. I lost the book while moving. Sort of Strong First/Texas Method before they got big. Highly recommended for barbell users.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom