all posts post new thread

Off-Topic Books/online course

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

conor78

Level 6 Valued Member
Hi
I have a degree in phys Ed but its been years since I have studied human anatomy/physiology and biomechanics.
I'm taking SFG 1 in Oct and would like to look at FMS in 2018. Has anyone any books/resources that they would recommend in relation to human anatomy/physiology that would help in terms of being an SFG instructor/FMS practictioner?
Thanks

I heard the recommendation on a some Leo Training Podcasts recently (if memory serves, it was both Mark Reifkind and Dr. Kenneith Jay) recommended, as a book everyone should read, "any University-level physiology textbook". I was able to get a huge and fairly modern used textbook for $20 through Amazon with a basic search. It's great reference material and enables a nice sanity check on the crazy ideas that so often float around in the fitness world.

Last edited:
Mmm... While neither anatomy nor physiology, Movement is the go-to book for FMS, and in my opinion every movement professional should read it. Becoming a Supple Leopard is another book I recommend.

In my instructor course (the government supervised gym instructor course in Israel) we had our own course booklet, but as @Anna C said, any academic introduction level book would do. IMHO for basic anatomy and physiology Wikipedia would also deliver if you know what to look for, specially since you just need some refreshing to do.

From my experience the stuff we need regarding these as quality strength teachers are the basics. The "real" needs in physiology, neuro-physiology, cognition and whatever scientific terms we want, are covered in Movement for FMS. While never attending (yet) SFG, I am 100% sure that all the relevant needs are addressed in the certification.

Trust SFG and FMS staff that they will provide you with the tools and knowledge.

I'll start a rant now...
I know far too many trainees and coaches that know anatomy and physiology at a high level and have zero grasp on human movement or how to teach it. This pretty much is aided by the teaching of classical kinesiology, along with the (un)functional anatomy it is based on and has no actual roots in reality. Try to analyze a squat or a deadlift, or any other compound movement, and you'll see massive internal contradictions. I think this is where to foundations of body-part Frankenstein training lay.

I prefer a coach who might not know all the names and origin and insertion points of the muscle in the rotator cuff and scapula, but teach how pack the shoulder when you press than the more common coach, who knows anatomy perfectly, but don't know what shoulder packing is and why you need to do it. The chief instructor in my course told me that improving my shoulder stability and technique work will not increase my bench press at all... Well, it did...

Rant over

@Shahaf Levin definitely agree with most of your rant. It's unfortunate, but most university fitness courses are to blame for this. I walked out with a 4 year degree not understanding why/how compound lifts are better, how to fix underlying issues (as well as anything even remotely related to any FMS concept of joint/movement competency). I was basically prepared to tell someone to do 3 sets of 10 on 8 machines, and knew my anatomy from the anatomical position only with no real life practicality. I also agree that Movement should be a must read in every fitness professional's study.

to OP - listen to the above. A uni grade physiology book, perhaps one specialized into exercise phys, and Movement and you have a fantastic start

Thanks for the advice. I'll order those books on Amazon and start reading through them. It's probably the teacher in me but I like to read around a subject as much as possible. The textbooks I studied (or should have studied) twenty years ago wouldn't be relevant to prepping for SFG or the movement systems that are popular now. I've a lot of reading to do..
Thanks folks

It's probably the teacher in me but I like to read around a subject as much as possible.

Me to. And I agree with being as knowledgeable as possible. Easy Strength, Intervention, Psych, Movement, Naked Warrior, Westside Barbell Book of Methods... As in any field, basically read literature by great professionals (coaches and trainers for us),as Dan John says, success tend to leave tracks.

For more "academic" read Supertraining is kind of the gold standard for all strength training (and has in depth physiology of strength section), so maybe give t a shot if you can get a copy. It's not that approachable though and a tough read (maybe Special Strength Training-A Practical Manual for Coaches is a digested version and much less scientific).

Hello,

@conor78
I read "Becoming a supple leopard" from K. Starrett. I do not have a degree in anatomy or med, but I understand pretty well. It is simple and good quality IMO

Kind regards,

Pet'

Big thanks for the Supple Leopard recommendation @Shahaf Levin. I started reading it last night and watching seem of Dr Barret's videos. It's tremendous stuff. A lot of the principles regarding torque and internal rotations tie in with SFG principles. I watched a video on running technique..I now know why I developed a bad case of plantar fascitis last year....actually scary to think how damaging poor tecnique can be on the joints and muscle tissues. Looking forward to delving into it over the next few weeks..

Me to. And I agree with being as knowledgeable as possible. Easy Strength, Intervention, Psych, Movement, Naked Warrior, Westside Barbell Book of Methods... As in any field, basically read literature by great professionals (coaches and trainers for us),as Dan John says, success tend to leave tracks.

For more "academic" read Supertraining is kind of the gold standard for all strength training (and has in depth physiology of strength section), so maybe give t a shot if you can get a copy. It's not that approachable though and a tough read (maybe Special Strength Training-A Practical Manual for Coaches is a digested version and much less scientific).
Mmm... While neither anatomy nor physiology, Movement is the go-to book for FMS, and in my opinion every movement professional should read it. Becoming a Supple Leopard is another book I recommend.

In my instructor course (the government supervised gym instructor course in Israel) we had our own course booklet, but as @Anna C said, any academic introduction level book would do. IMHO for basic anatomy and physiology Wikipedia would also deliver if you know what to look for, specially since you just need some refreshing to do.

From my experience the stuff we need regarding these as quality strength teachers are the basics. The "real" needs in physiology, neuro-physiology, cognition and whatever scientific terms we want, are covered in Movement for FMS. While never attending (yet) SFG, I am 100% sure that all the relevant needs are addressed in the certification.

Trust SFG and FMS staff that they will provide you with the tools and knowledge.

I'll start a rant now...
I know far too many trainees and coaches that know anatomy and physiology at a high level and have zero grasp on human movement or how to teach it. This pretty much is aided by the teaching of classical kinesiology, along with the (un)functional anatomy it is based on and has no actual roots in reality. Try to analyze a squat or a deadlift, or any other compound movement, and you'll see massive internal contradictions. I think this is where to foundations of body-part Frankenstein training lay.

I prefer a coach who might not know all the names and origin and insertion points of the muscle in the rotator cuff and scapula, but teach how pack the shoulder when you press than the more common coach, who knows anatomy perfectly, but don't know what shoulder packing is and why you need to do it. The chief instructor in my course told me that improving my shoulder stability and technique work will not increase my bench press at all... Well, it did...

Rant over

A lot of the principles regarding torque and internal rotations tie in with SFG principles.

IMO that's what missing from "standard" instructor courses. based on "anatomic principles", rather than position and movement principles.

Kelly Starrett use more of a mechanical language of external rotation torque in the shoulders and hips (and when to switch to internal rotation), SF uses more cue-able and visual language of shoulder packing and rooting, but as you said, same human body - same principles :)

actually scary to think how damaging poor tecnique can be on the joints and muscle tissues.
And it is even scarier that most trainees/coaches have no idea what joint mobility/stabilization is... I see people run on the boardwalk my joints start to hurt... Good thing we are here at SF :)

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom