all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Bottom up KB clean n press only - what would happen ?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Andrej SK

Level 4 Valued Member
Hi guys, maybe a strange question - my favourite exercise is bottom up kb press
Im not a very disciplined guy in training, to be honest and often, feeling tired after my work thinking of some heavy training just makes me give up...i feel ashamed but this is how it is....
however, i would still like to do something healthy for my body and maintain some standard physics...

Do you thing that if i stucked only with one lift and that would be Bottom up clean and press - basically gtg approach...could do the work ?

Thank you !

@Andrej SK Some practice is better than none. Stick with it and find your groove, you may end up surprising yourself and add additional lifts over time. Power to you #StrongFirst

My favourite exercise is bottom up kb press.
Do you think that if I stuck only with one lift and that would be Bottom up clean and press - basically gtg approach...could work ?
@Andrej SK, the b/u press is a more grip intensive and I'd characterize it as more CNS intensive than a regular press. I'd stay away from near-limit work, e.g., if you can MP a 32 kg, can b/u MP a 28 kg for a rep or two, but can b/u press a 24 kg for 5, then use the 24 kg.

Another thing you might try is just working on the b/u clean for a sets of 5 reps with each hand.

If you can handle a second lift, make it an ab exercise but if not, just do your b/u presses and let us know how it's working out for you.

-S-

Whenever I came home from work exhausted I would tell myself to just do something, anything, with kbs, bands, bodyweight, etc for just a few minutes. Whatever you can bring yourself to do, I don't care if it's curls or tricep extensions.

If I wasn't feeling it I would just stop but more often than not it would lead to some pretty good sessions.

My opinion but i think you would become more dedicated and disciplined when you start seeing results.And yes GTG with your BU presses would help greatly.I also think you should add in some other work to be well rounded physically.If you added some swings on alternate days with the BU press you'd be doing yourself good.How about training before work?

Bottom up work is great for many reason.

End of last year I did some gtg with BU stuff cleans, squats presses, with some kind of heavy bells, for a number of weeks.

End of the game was, that a elbow tendonitis occured, which I had maybe ten years back.

I'd stay away from near-limit work, e.g., if you can MP a 32 kg, can b/u MP a 28 kg for a rep or two, but can b/u press a 24 kg for 5, then use the 24 kg.
...and press for two most of the time.

Now I see BU press as a spice for training (kettlebell press), not as the main dish, because it is strong medicine: Spices vs. Main Dishes: How to Program a Proper Training Menu

Bottom Up KB Clean n Press Only - what would happen?

You'd get really good at bottom up clean & pressing - hopefully that doesn't come across the wrong way.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you guys, your ideas are appreciated....i definitely dont want to die :)

@Steve Freides, do you mean that i should separate cleans from presses ?

E.g. 5 bu cleans in a row, then 5 bu presses in a row....then change hands...then repeat several times ? Thx

As MattM mentioned above, I too find that if I just "don't feel like it", if I do something very easy, like a couple sets of 10 swings using a much lighter kb than I usually would, say even a 12 kg instead of a 24 kg, doing that gets my blood going a bit and suddenly I find myself inspired. I often don't end up working as hard as I might if I started out feeling fresh but I can enjoy getting in a good session and all the benefits from that.

If you can handle a second lift, make it an ab exercise

Back when I was Olympic lifting there was a young man, very good lifter, who would do BU cleans as a finisher to his training session. He did because of the grip work and because keeping the KB stable in the BU position really worked his core in its stabilization role. He would sometimes take a walk around the gym while holding the KB in the BU position to really challenge the core.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom