all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Bottom Up Press with Soju&Tuba + S&S?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

somanaut

Level 5 Valued Member
Question:
I am thinking of adding Soju&Tuba bottom up press and pull ups (one day bottom up press next training session pull ups) to my simple sessions (working towards 100 sessions with the 32kg). Does that sound like a good idea and is there something I should keep in mind?
Any programs for pull ups, that you would recommend under these circumstances (max is 6)?

Info:
I can military press the 16kg 10-12 times, the 24kg 3x1 (only single reps, not 1x2 yet) and bottom up press the 16kg 2-3 times. I have completed the simple goal 4 times this time around, and regular practise feels on some days like warm up (other days it feels like murder).
I chose pull ups as alternating exercise, cause I want to become better at them, consensus seems to be that they are a good auxilary exercise for presses.

Goal:
To military press (figured, that If I can military press it 5-8 times, then I can c+p it 5-8 times) the 24kg 5-8 times with my stronger arm (the left), so I can begin ROP some time next year with the 24kg.

Ideal S&T weight seems to be 3RM, so if you are between regular bell sizes but BU press 3RM is 16, it would probably work. The extra tension in grip and abs will carry over all the more to the regular press.

Or you could try S&T with 24kg but do it GTG style (sets throughout the day). I did that with 24kg when it was my ~4RM and it helped a lot.

Ideal S&T weight seems to be 3RM, so if you are between regular bell sizes but BU press 3RM is 16, it would probably work. The extra tension in grip and abs will carry over all the more to the regular press.

Or you could try S&T with 24kg but do it GTG style (sets throughout the day). I did that with 24kg when it was my ~4RM and it helped a lot.
Thanks, I suspectd that BUP of 2-3RM was a good match, but glad to hear I am not alone in that. GTG with the 24kg, tbh it is just too hard, and I am not stable enough to put it forth as a method yet.

@somanaut
I would suggest doing S&T with the 24kg, but do one cycle using the "long push press" instead of regular MP or bottom up press with a lighter bell.

This is a drill for transitioning to a challenging bell that Pavel included in a supplementary pdf that was released as a complement to ETK .

The long push press is a loaded clean (tense in the rack as if preparing to press), then do a front squat. As you extend your hips and knees to finish the front squat, initiate the press. You are not launching the bell ballistically as in a regular push press; finish the the squat and immediately press as you reach the top. This way you get a little boost out of the rack but you are still pressing with the same posture and tension as a strict press.

After you complete a cycle of S&T with the long push press, try a cycle using a regular strict press, then test.

Thanks, I suspectd that BUP of 2-3RM was a good match, but glad to hear I am not alone in that. GTG with the 24kg, tbh it is just too hard, and I am not stable enough to put it forth as a method yet.
By GTG I mean the S&T template but spread out over the day. For example I believe it starts with 6 sets of 1. That can be a single/arm every 90 minutes or so, or two sessions of 3 x 1 (sets x reps). If you have access to the bell throughout the day (I brought my 2nd bell to the office). I did “day on, day off” to progress. But 3x/week is good too.

So you end up not doing more than 3 reps at once, but a good amount of volume toward the end.

@somanaut
I would suggest doing S&T with the 24kg, but do one cycle using the "long push press" instead of regular MP or bottom up press with a lighter bell.

This is a drill for transitioning to a challenging bell that Pavel included in a supplementary pdf that was released as a complement to ETK .

The long push press is a loaded clean (tense in the rack as if preparing to press), then do a front squat. As you extend your hips and knees to finish the front squat, initiate the press. You are not launching the bell ballistically as in a regular push press; finish the the squat and immediately press as you reach the top. This way you get a little boost out of the rack but you are still pressing with the same posture and tension as a strict press.

After you complete a cycle of S&T with the long push press, try a cycle using a regular strict press, then test.
Thanks for the suggestion, will try the long push press and see how it compares to bottom up.

By GTG I mean the S&T template but spread out over the day. For example I believe it starts with 6 sets of 1. That can be a single/arm every 90 minutes or so, or two sessions of 3 x 1 (sets x reps). If you have access to the bell throughout the day (I brought my 2nd bell to the office). I did each day of the program every 2-3 days. So you end up not doing more than 3 reps at once, but a good amount of volume toward the end.
S&T? I am not a fan of GTG under these premises: 1) Not practical for me, i.e I get sweaty and unpresentable for clients (tried with pistols and OAPU) and was quite stressfull. 2) I am not a fan of GTG when one is starting out with a strength move. I don't doubt that GTG works, but not as an introduction to a move or weight. There I prefer a cluster of set and reps. 3) GTG is best done cold, i.e. no warm up. And I need to warm up to press the 24kg, it's still a max effort for me.
Once one has a moderate skill level with a move and can produce a good volume, then I think it is a really good method. But I also think, that GTG is more of a intermediate method, and we at times forget that, or disagree with me on that part.
TL;DR: GTG is a good intermediate method, but not for a beginner such as myself with the press move, and not feasible during the day for me.

If I could add. I went through a cycle S&T. I was between bells that would work for the schemes. It was s weird spot fir me that I couldn’t cluster the sets or gtg. So I used the lighter bell and added 1 rep to each set of the S&T. It worked to push me to the next bell and revisited S&T. I like the long cycle press like Steve W. mentioned above

I was between bells that would work for the schemes.

I will eventually do S&T, but it seems you have to get the bell selection correct and be in the sweet spot since there's no autoregulation.

My issue is my dominant side is stronger than my other side. So what's 3 RM for my right is a 1RM for my left. Or 5rm right and 3rm left.

I will eventually do S&T, but it seems you have to get the bell selection correct and be in the sweet spot since there's no autoregulation.

My issue is my dominant side is stronger than my other side. So what's 3 RM for my right is a 1RM for my left. Or 5rm right and 3rm left.
Sounds like a strength phase for the left side and maintainence for the right is needed

Don't overcomplicate things. You might pick the lighter bell and just start with 2 reps per set. =r take some more time to equal even out your strength between left and right.

The idea is just to get easy reps in and slowly build up the sets, then drop the volume while ramping up intensity and repeat the process. For more inspiration check out this article: Strength Cycling for Continuous Improvement

As the author of S&T, one of the interesting facts I noticed while testing this on myself and others was that even if you could only press once on the relatively weaker side compared to 2-3 reps one the stronger side, just the sheer volume of working up to 14 singles got me and the other test subjects to be able to do two reps by the time the rep scheme was doubles, and by working up to eight sets of doubles would get you that third rep. Not easy, and you will probably have to GTG it a lot (in my case), but it was doable.

@coachjoey - If someone only has kettlebells in 8kg jumps, how would you recommend they use your program? For example, I have the following sizes: 16, 24, 32 and 40kg (arriving soon).

I can currently press the 24kg 12-15x per arm, the 32kg around 4-5x per arm and I have yet to test the 40kg (since it hasn't arrived yet).

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom