all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Bottoms up Press meets Grease the Grove...

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

advtracer

Level 6 Valued Member
Please, excuse the self-involved nature this post. But I am thrilled and feel the need to share.

For the last six weeks I have integrated BU Presses using a GtG format during the day at work. I keep 16kg bell "floating" around and decided to put it to work. I started conservatively with singles and tried to adhere to the GtG methodology by staying fresh and doing 50% of one's capacity. Week 2, I added doubles, then week 3, you guessed it...triples. I waved the volume day to day, unintentionally as my schedule varied greatly and so did my opportunities to press. Some days 3-4 sets of 3, other days 7-8 sets of 3. This felt very Delta 20 for the Q&D initiated. In the final weeks, I progressed to easy sets of 5 with varied volumes=as low as 3 sets/day to as many as 9-10 sets/day. I never felt fatigue during or after my practice(s). This past weekend marked the re-test for my Q&D numbers, so I thought I would throw in some presses. My swing, push-up, and snatch numbers were good, however I lost my originals so, until my next re-test, my numbers are too subjective to quantify. However, as for pressing, I got a lifetime PR for the One Arm KB Press of 36kg 1xleft, 2xright. (I realize that this is a marginal accomplishment based on a very small sample size and training timeline.) The last and only time I tried the 36kg I was at my SFG1 last November, and, even with all the SFG adrenaline/energy , I didn't press the 36kg. I, originally, found Pavel's work when I was trying to solve some shoulder issues that I experienced from lack of attention to detail during some CrossFit WOD's. The GU was the potential antidote. At the time, I was using a 14kg(comp bell) for S&S, and I worried that my Fran time was too slow. Now, I can perform (not pass) 40kg S&S, am attempting to meet the SFG2 standards by the time I hit 50 years of age, and perform better day to day then when I served 30years ago.

So "all" you were doing were the said 16 kg BU presses and Q&D pushups (edit: and snatches)?

Anyway, thanks for sharing and congratulations :)

Last edited:
@Bauer My program was to prioritize Q&D, re-awaken my DL with PTTP, and work the BU presses. I stuck with the swing/PU version. I tested snatches before and after to see if I would get any benefit (short answer yes). I had not dead lifted in quite some time, so I started light at about 65% 1rm and as the weights got heavier I had to drop the frequency. I tried to do barbell press along with DL’s, but I dropped them about 2 weeks in thinking that the BU presses and the PU’s would suffice. In addition, I do my fair share of foot movements (2 dogs) and I cycle 1-2x per week. Granted, I did not test my press before I started Q&D. Perhaps, I was closer than I thought, but even in terms of confidence I certainly wouldn’t have tested with the 36. I recall being anxious about pressing the 32, and not wanting to deal with the potential negativity of failure.

@Steve Freides Thank you, Sir! I always appreciate your forum input.

@Oscar I realize the power pushups from Q&D may have had a contributing factor, but I feel the BU press was the game changer. The focus and concentration on creating tension throughout my body was and continue to be educational every day. Much like the GU, the weight and bell become the instructor. I brought my 20kg to work to continue with the process. Back to singles!

@Oscar I realize the power pushups from Q&D may have had a contributing factor, but I feel the BU press was the game changer. The focus and concentration on creating tension throughout my body was and continue to be educational every day. Much like the GU, the weight and bell become the instructor. I brought my 20kg to work to continue with the process. Back to singles!
Interesting that the weight you used is pretty light compared to 36 kg. I have been doing BU doubles with 16 and my 1RM is 28 kg, I think.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom