all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Bottoms Up Presses, Who Does Them?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

BrianCF

Level 7 Valued Member
I've been trying to focus on some different things in regard to my normal kettlebell training. One day doing bottoms up presses, the other, some loaded carries.

My question is, does anyone have a program they do with the BUP? How many times a week? Volume? Progression? How did it carry over to a regular press, any WTH effects?

I find them to be really fun. I started with a 35# and did 3 x 5 with each arm for 2 days.

Today, I decided to go up to the 45# (which I've done before) and after a couple of failed attempts, did some loaded cleans and was able to do 3 x 3 on each side, once I found the proper tightness, grip and press groove.

My immediate goal is to try and do it with a 55#

I'd like to learn about others experience.

I try to do them weekly on a variety day (currently doing ROP) as a tension drill. My ROP bell is 20kg, so I was doing 5 x 2-3 with 12kg, and practicing BU clean with 16kg, but recently (finally) achieved a BU press with 16kg for both arms. So the "program", such as it is, is progressing from 3 sets of 1 to 5 sets of 2 while practicing BU clean with the next bell up, then starting over with the next bell.

I've been doing BU cleans as a finisher after heavy carries. I have a shoulder rehab routine going so doing alot of pressing in the 70-85% range.
One thing I believe is helping is heavy BUC's.
I don't press as it annoys my shoulder. What I do is clean and hold the weight for 10-15 seconds without resting the elbow on the hip for 3-4 rounds per hand. Usually 28 and 32's.. Seems to be helping my shoulders as well as strengthening my grip and forearms.

I love them, but pressing has not been a focus for me for a while, so I haven't been doing them as much lately.
I think Enter The Kettlebell / aka ROP Extra Report suggests 1-5 sets of 1-2 reps for supplementary work on the variety days, but I guess they could be a main focus too.
As advertised, they reinforce a really good pressing groove, and tightness and a vertical forearm, which is all good.

I love BU presses and often use them as my primary bench press accessory.

That said, the reps are kept low and slow.

Due to the balance component, you probably won't be able to train them in a high intensity/high volume manner.

Grease the groove with solid cleans and some press singles - keeping the grip fresh. If you're able to accumulate 2 total minutes of BU work a day, you'll be well on your way.

I think they are better as an isometric hold or a waiter walk carry.
If my shoulders were 100% I would do both, Iso holds for weight heavier than I can press, and some presses with lighter bells. The core activation with heavier holds feels very good to me and I would like to work up to a BU press with a 32

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom