all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Bought a 30lbs sledgehammer....

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

JW513

Level 5 Valued Member
I've posted in the past about how much I love sledgehammers and I took the plunge and bought one and received it today. I swung it about 20 times, only because its a my rest day. and just got home from my blacksmith shop.. But then i grabbed my 20lbs for a few swings and that felt like a toy. Light sledges have their place and are very important, but my belief is, if you can swing heavy hammers, you will be more powerful with the light ones... Therefore, getting an ever better workout with lighter ones.

Are you a blacksmith? Very cool. I imagine you know a lot about swinging a hammer. When doing it for exercise are you hitting a tire?

^Hobby blacksmith, would love to get more into metal work and away from construction or incorporate it into what we do, but I have a small family run business with my dad and brother it would be hard to leave.

Yes i use the tire, I wanted to do it for years, then about 9 months ago I found a a tire, bought a few sledge hammers, and accumulated a bunch of other ones. 5-20 minutes after work 3 times a week. I also lever with them, but that is part of my morning routine.

a brief but intense swing session followed by 20 minutes of yoga is actually a great way to unwind after work.

I always wonder why people run around trying to find Gada/maces when sledgehammers are at every hardware store...

I always wonder why people run around trying to find Gada/maces when sledgehammers are at every hardware store...
I started with a sledgehammer and it was pretty decent, and convinced me that ‘mace-work’ had some value for me.
(Typically a mace has a longer handle and is round in cross-section compare to sledge hammers which have oval cross-sections.)

But mace’s are dead easy (and cheap) to make as well...

Local hardware store had a 6, 8 and maybe 12 pound sledges.

Bought the 6 and brought an old tire home from the shop at work. This will be interesting...

Length could be an ‘interesting’ variable...

I did have to look to find a 20 pounder, 10-12 are common. The sledge works wonderfully for me but handle size/shape would definitely be a place where individual hands/ personal preference play in a lot.

Use them both. Sledge for smashing and mace for swinging. Personally I did use a sledge for swinging and finally bit the bullet and bought a mace. The mace feels better and smoother than the sledge.

This sounds interesting. How big of a tire do you use?
Its probably 3 foot standing upright. I'm getting a backhoe tire from a friend this weekend. I want to start doing horizontal swings.. That's really got to work the abs.

My family thinks i'm crazy, i love when people walk by and see me doing it.

If you have a wood stove or a fireplace at home then collecting, chopping and stacking wood is the real deal. You'll be aching everywhere for days after your first session of the season, no matter how well conditioned you are.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom