all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Boxing and Brain Damage

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Personal experience: I’ve played rugby union & rugby league. Competed in karate, taekwondo, boxing, kickboxing & mma. Had a life unlike many that included many blows to the head with various objects & more concussions than I can remember.
Current situation: age closer to 50 than 40. When I’m tired I tend to slur my speech a bit, the more exhausted I am the worse the slurring gets (can be mistaken for drunk). My long term memories are ok, but short term not so good, sometimes can’t remember why I walked into a room, I have trouble learning new things/skills, I’ll eventually pick it up but I was once I person that learnt things very quickly. Reading a book I’ll often have to reread a page as I can literally forget what I just read as I turn the page. Takes me ages to post on the forum as I sometimes lose track of what I was saying or repeat what I’ve already said (you’ll notice 90% of my posts have been edited). Have suffered from vertigo in recent years, doctors have said this is also related to my past head trauma. Vocabulary has decreased, I know the word I want just can’t find it in the depths.
There are other issues but funnily enough I can’t think of them at the moment, worked 11hrs today.
As a disclaimer I’m also I recovering alcoholic & drug addict (3yrs clean) so I really didn’t do myself any favours.
I manage this by staying as fit & healthy as I can, keeping a positive attitude & minimise stress, not really improving but not really getting any worse either. Professional prognosis isn’t fantastic as I get older, but I’ve stalled it for the time being when they said I couldn’t, & I’ve proved them wrong on many other occasions.
Edit: changed some things that rambled & didn’t make sense (exhibit A).

Last edited:
I’ve played rugby union & rugby league
What position did you play? Did you get hit more in one or the other?

I once heard a reporter ask a rugby league fan: - do you like watching rugby union? - not more than I like watching the soap opera.

We don't have much rugby league at this side of the world unfortunately.

@Oscar played second row/lock in league, & inside centre for union.
Got hit hard in both & concussions in both, but got hit more regularly in league. I found league a lot tougher on the body with bigger hits & more injuries.
Personally I prefer playing union but enjoy watching league more.

Last edited:
There is a whole chapter on this in the book Fight like a Physicist. In a nutshell, it is the shaking of the brain within the skull without recovery rather than the concussive force alone that is the problem. This is why as has been noted, boxing can be much worse than MMA. And amateur headgear promotes more jabbing and repeated shaking. You can reduce the concussive force but not the shaking of the brain with headgear.

There is a whole chapter on this in the book Fight like a Physicist. In a nutshell, it is the shaking of the brain within the skull without recovery rather than the concussive force alone that is the problem. This is why as has been noted, boxing can be much worse than MMA. And amateur headgear promotes more jabbing and repeated shaking. You can reduce the concussive force but not the shaking of the brain with headgear.

Yes, I also find it more difficult to keep a tight and firm guard with headgear on.It definetely reduces the amounts of cuts and surface injuries, though, but that is probably the only significant benefit.

Between sparring (boxing) and calculus/Business statistics, I say calculus/Business stats gave me the most brain damages. :p But in all seriousness, there's definitely a price to pay when it comes to the accumulation of hard sparring.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom