all posts post new thread

Bodyweight Boxing strengt and conditioning

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Boxingadict01

First Post
Hey i need some help on s c for boxing. I train boxing every day but im a litle stuck at my s c
Im a fireplug at 80 kg 180 cm. Would it be beter for me to do the circuts squat push ups pull ups dips. 3 sets. 3 times a day not go to failure or have own sessions with them etc 3 times a week?

Hey i need some help on s c for boxing. I train boxing every day but im a litle stuck at my s c
Im a fireplug at 80 kg 180 cm. Would it be beter for me to do the circuts squat push ups pull ups dips. 3 sets. 3 times a day not go to failure or have own sessions with them etc 3 times a week?
Is your S&C limited to bodyweight calisthenics? What rep ranges are you training at for the 3 sets/3 times a day? What do you feel is missing in your S&C? Where are you weak at in the ring? How long have you been boxing? Do you have a coach? If you go to a boxing class, is it all skills work, or is there a "workout of the day" they do as a warmup?

Hello,

3 sets of 3 to 5 reps, with 3 to 5 minutes rest between sets. For additional conditioning, you can rest a muscle group while working another: rest the push ups while working on squat.

One has to find a move which is heavy enough to train strength but light enough to get volume. 5RM can be great.

If time is a constraint, and bdw the method of choice, then the article below is great :

This and easy running would get more than enough to build a base. Interval work could come later.

Kind regards,

Pet'

It all depends ;) Generally, both can be helpful, it will come down to how you train and what you get out of it in terms of volume and intensity. However, I would consider neither approach boxing-specific. Now, there are a lot of different systems to condition boxers, one of the more complete and readily available ones are the various sources put out by Ross Enamait. I would recommend you check them out, he also has input on how to combine S&C and skill training. His book on training without weights is called never gymless, he has been selling it for a ridiculously low price since the beginning of the pandemic. Other than that, if you have a coach, talk to him - I never cease to be amazed how rarely people in combat sports seem to be talking to their coaches and would rather ask the internet for advice.

Cheers
Period.

It depends what training effect you are after - 'strength and conditioning' is quite a broad term. If you are looking to develop maximum strength, the training protocol would be different to if you were looking to increase your conditioning, and different again if you are looking to develop power or force output. Bodyweight circuits will not build maximal strength beyond a 'beginner' level and are more suited to muscular endurance training.

A fair few boxers seem to do their shoulders in due to the constant punching. If I was you I'd be doing horizontal pulling work to counter that- barbell rows for example. Maybe some shoulder specific prehab.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom