all posts post new thread

Bodyweight Boxing strength and power - a debate

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Here is my experience with both LSD and HIIT.

LSD gives me the endurance to be able to handle 90 minute training sessions without gassing. This is huge since if I can't last the training, I can't learn anything or get better.

HIIT gives me the explosiveness and endurance to win matches. In a match, I'm not playing soccer, so I don't have to be able to last 90 minutes, but I have to last 5, and then to recover for the next match.

If we're talking club fighting, LSD endurance is much more important, since even if we win a "match" we keep fighting. Long time endurance is king for recreational athletes. HIIT is more important for real competitors.

Hello,

I just came from 3h of boxing. Basically, I did 2 sessions in a row. I strongly agree with @Kozushi

Without the HIT, I would not have been able to last the 10 rounds in total. However, without the LSD training, I would not have been able to endure the rest of the sessions.

To a certain extent, I think both abilities are necessary. But the more experienced you are, the more you can manage your energy.

Kind regards,

Pet'

Pretty much concurring with what's said here. Studying Joel Jamieson and Alex Viada covinced me of the benefits of specifically addressing cardiac output with LSD.
I am quite curious: could you described main line of the program you creates a while back ? (I would perfectly understand you do not want of course !)

How do you train now ?
The one that led to burnout was when I was fighting full-time. It would be boxing at noon, then MMA and some sort of conditioning in afternoon. Then I'd either do a moderate intensity 4k Fartlek. Hill Sprints, or Wind Sprints. Sundays I'd swim or do some Yoga. I was the usual Conditioning Champ in the Sherdog forums when they did the monthly conditioning challenges, but they couldn't believe that my resting heart rate was 80 bpm. Of course I couldn't sustain this for long, and eventually developed autoimmune alopecia areata, where my hair started falling off. I backed-off before I became Saitama and lowered the training volume and frequency.

Now I either cycle kettlebells, bodyweight, or barbells; jiu-jitsu 2-5 times a week; and I try to get some cardio in once a week if I can.

Pretty much concurring with what's said here. Studying Joel Jamieson and Alex Viada covinced me of the benefits of specifically addressing cardiac output with LSD.

The one that led to burnout was when I was fighting full-time. It would be boxing at noon, then MMA and some sort of conditioning in afternoon. Then I'd either do a moderate intensity 4k Fartlek. Hill Sprints, or Wind Sprints. Sundays I'd swim or do some Yoga. I was the usual Conditioning Champ in the Sherdog forums when they did the monthly conditioning challenges, but they couldn't believe that my resting heart rate was 80 bpm. Of course I couldn't sustain this for long, and eventually developed autoimmune alopecia areata, where my hair started falling off. I backed-off before I became Saitama and lowered the training volume and frequency.

Now I either cycle kettlebells, bodyweight, or barbells; jiu-jitsu 2-5 times a week; and I try to get some cardio in once a week if I can.
That was too much. Is that medical condition linked to your training?

Hello,

Old school boxers used to do daily 5 or 10k running, first thing in the morning (so in a fasted state). Then, they did the actual boxing training during the day (which includes long sets of calisthenics (sit ups, push ups, pull ups)).

Fairly close to Saitana's training !

Kind regards

Pet'

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom