all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Breath Hold Test

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
I've been practicing a breathing exercise from The Oxygen Advantage lately called "Breathe light to breathe right" and I'm sure it's helped a lot with the breath hold test because I got 35sec to first diaphragm contraction and 75sec to inhale. Surprised even myself with this one. I've been doing that particular exercise for about a month.

I've been unable to train as much as I wanted lately due to a nagging tendinopathy at the medial knee, focusing on breathing drills and diet had been my main focus to maintain some form of fitness.

14s till the first contraction, 50s total max.
Low skill, high willpower, story of my life :D

On a serious note, the result clearly shows I need this course.
Began to reread The Oxygen Advantage yesterday. In the intro. the author addresses your point.
" We can survive for a few weeks without food,a few days without water, and a few minutes without breathing. How much attention do you pay to the quantity of the air you breathe ? " Important skill for everyone to learn.

In wait for the course, is doing apnea tables with breathholds on exhale an effective and safe way of hypoxic training?

Same here, holding my breath ?

18 seconds easy, 38 seconds total, on a full stomach.
Update:
My new Hench score is 88 seconds (first difficulties after 22 seconds), improving my score by 50 seconds. I have done a mere 31 hypoxic sessions in three months with rather low volume, so basically 3-6 sets every three days.

Interestingy I did not feel like I progressed much during the past two months. A couple of weeks ago I checked the Hench test in a stressed state and only got 45 seconds or so. Thus, context matters. I usually take 2-3 minutes of rest between breath-ups and 3-5 minutes between working sets.

And when I started, breathing through a single straw made me panic a little, and now I can easily breath through 3 1/2 straws (at least lying on the sofa and after some minutes with two straws).

Superdeep Breathing is also getting easier and I feel like my rib cage has widened a bit. I once did a VLC test during a routine check and hope to do one again, sometime. And the recovery tactics work great, too.

Driving home from vacation I recently did some slow outbreaths through pursed lips and could feel how I relaxed and my cognition improved, enabling me to drive a bit longer without getting tired.

Conclusion: Second Wind rocks!

Last edited:
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom