all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Breath Hold Test

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

silveraw

Level 9 Valued Member
I tried the breath hold test from the last SF email teasing Second Wind Express. Now I'm holding my breath for the next email telling me how to interpret my results! ( I know SF doesn't have a strong pun game, but they are potentially leaving some serious dad jokes on the table if they don't jump on that.)

In the Facebook group people were posting obviously joking times (unless they were in severe hypothermia 45 minutes seems a bit far fetched). So now my gauge for what might be a good or bad score is all off.

But since the article mentions using a clock instead of a stop watch to measure your time, I kind of get the feeling that my measly 10 seconds score is absolutely abysmal.

What kind of scores did you get on the breath hold test?
What do they mean?
Most importantly, what do you do with this information?

Same here, holding my breath ?

18 seconds easy, 38 seconds total, on a full stomach.
Dang.
For me it is the exhale that gets me. I wonder if it measures co2 tolerance. I seem to remember Breathe having something about that in there.

~27 seconds before diaphragm started going, 45 max, "relatively" normal inhale after (definitely not a gasp)

The first measure, to the "first signs of wanting to inhale", is very similar to the BOLT score test from Patrick McKeown's book. (I think this is a Buteyko-inspired measurement? @Steve Freides ) I had not known ranges for the second score of 'max hold to normal inhale" prior to this article

~27 seconds before diaphragm started going, 45 max, "relatively" normal inhale after (definitely not a gasp)

The first measure, to the "first signs of wanting to inhale", is very similar to the BOLT score test from Patrick McKeown's book. (I think this is a Buteyko-inspired measurement? @Steve Freides ) I had not known ranges for the second score of 'max hold to normal inhale" prior to this article
I've read the book, and yes, first sign of discomfort is your score in the book. First time I've come across the hold as long as possible test in the Pavel email.

I'm fascinated to see what is recommended here, compared to McKeown & Buteyko.
I was waiting for the next Second Wind virtual, but with this course that looks unlikely to happen. I wonder!

Yes, saw that in today's email.
Not surprised. The Russian way.
I wonder if they also invented the Keep your hand in a bucket of ice water for as long as possible test. ?
Wouldn’t be surprised. I remember studying stress effects on learning retention in 2006 and all the rage with the undergrad psych majors was a cold bucket of water to dunk your hand in while studying.
And that research was pretty old then.

Not a fair comparison, I realize, as I do a lot of this and teach it, but my average easy breath hold is about 1:15 seconds and my maximum holds have gotten up to 2:40 which, among serious practitioners, is nothing special.

My favorite "will power" breathing activity is along a local street a couple of blocks from where I live. It's roughly 150 meters long, and I begin it walking relaxedly and move through walking slowly, faster walking, jogging, running, and end in an all-out sprint. It takes just over a minute to complete, and I do the whole thing as a breath hold - normal exhale, close mouth and pinch nose closed, and walk/run with one hand holding my nose and the other swinging.

-S-

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom