all posts post new thread

Bodyweight Breath patterns for pull up high rep sets and max rep attempts?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Chris Nordeen

Level 4 Valued Member
Elite Certified Instructor
Beast Tamer
Hello all! When doing 10-15+ pull ups what are your breathing styles/tactics? Every rep a breath, every two? I didn’t see anything in the SFB manual or Strong Endurance.

Hello,

When it gets harder (so regardless the number of repetitions or exercise) I tend to breathe more (1 inhale on the concentric, 1 exhale on the eccentric)

Kind regards,

Pet'

Assuming that you're going to stop and rest (at the hang of course) and you're doing enough reps that it takes a minute or longer, imho, you're not going to be able to sustain a breath every two. Inhale on the eccentric, valsalava/exhale on concentric, breath/recover at the bottom as needed and tolerated.

Assuming that you're going to stop and rest (at the hang of course) and you're doing enough reps that it takes a minute or longer, imho, you're not going to be able to sustain a breath every two. Inhale on the eccentric, valsalava/exhale on concentric, breath/recover at the bottom as needed and tolerated.
I’ll start with a breath every two reps, but then yes I do switch to every rep when needed. This may be a personal preference thing. Just curious what works for others, or if anyone has come across any research on the topic.

I'm guessing, like breathing on high repetition push-ups, you're going to be unlikely to find a lot of 'research' on it (but maybe!).

My approach w. pull-ups is to breathe every rep and not gas out (grip and time was never the issue for me when taking it to 'failure' - someone w. other issues may prefer/need a different approach to breathing, I don't know). My personal best is 29 dead hang but this was done decades and 40lb ago... My best in the last decade is 19 or 20, I think.

I'm guessing, like breathing on high repetition push-ups, you're going to be unlikely to find a lot of 'research' on it (but maybe!).

My approach w. pull-ups is to breathe every rep and not gas out (grip and time was never the issue for me when taking it to 'failure' - someone w. other issues may prefer/need a different approach to breathing, I don't know). My personal best is 29 dead hang but this was done decades and 40lb ago... My best in the last decade is 19 or 20, I think.
Thank you! I was pretty sure there was not going to be any game changing secrets. Grip is generally not the issue for me either, wanted to make sure breath was not holding me back. Back to the bar to practice and patients, presently at 23, would like to see if I can get to 30. Thank you for your advice.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom