all posts post new thread

Bret S. training log

Hey there @Bret S. , I thought of you today as I picked up the mace for practice. Your videos are inspiring, so smooth! I think I'm starting to get a feel for it. Hope you're doing well, looks like training is ticking along as always.

Wed 3/3

Mace and NS burpees
40 mace turns x 10 @ 22lb
Then burpees on the 30 sec for ~26 mins

Had a little scare during burpees as Susan's uncle was losing his balance at the end of a mile walk he and Susan did, helped him into the house and he was fine. He's a tough guy at 89 yrs old, still does everything for himself including house and yard work. Hope to be like him.

Never thought I'd say it but I'm really loving burpees, they're an awesome exercise and all you need is the ground to train.

Screenshot 2021-03-03 at 2.46.06 PM.png

Fri 3/5

Alternating - 1 NS burpee + 1 pullup on the 30 sec mark (60 mins)
Mace 4 x 50 @ 22lb
Finished with rowing for some cleanup

This session was orgasmically stellar! Set an unexpected PR of 120 NS burpees and could have kept going (had planned on gaffing it when the pushups slowed down) .. then mace massaged shoulders back into shape.. and finally, rowing just tied it all together.

360 pushups
120 pullups
200 mace turns.. ahhhh
Screenshot 2021-03-05 at 10.32.14 AM.png

Fri 3/5

Alternating - 1 NS burpee + 1 pullup on the 30 sec mark (60 mins)
Mace 4 x 50 @ 22lb
Finished with rowing for some cleanup

This session was orgasmically stellar! Set an unexpected PR of 120 NS burpees and could have kept going (had planned on gaffing it when the pushups slowed down) .. then mace massaged shoulders back into shape.. and finally, rowing just tied it all together.

360 pushups
120 pullups
200 mace turns.. ahhhh
View attachment 13069
Stellar is right! I'm gonna have to try these NS burpees again, start slow to test if it triggers my vertigo.

Last edited:
Stellar is right! I'm gonna have to try these NS burpees again, start slow to test if it triggers my vertigo.
Thanks man!

I think they're a keeper, since starting I've done close to 400 and already feel some benefits like added hypertrophy, a looser lower back, a stronger anterior chain, stronger pushups (triceps.. shoulders) and possibly some loosening of the T-spine.. I'll be monitoring changes as things progress.

Thanks man!

I think they're a keeper, since starting I've done close to 400 and already feel some benefits like added hypertrophy, a looser lower back, a stronger anterior chain, stronger pushups (triceps.. shoulders) and possibly some loosening of the T-spine.. I'll be monitoring changes as things progress.
Bret, Let me get this straight. Did you do 3 pushups in each burpee, + 1 pullup every 30 secs for an hour? Sounds like a ratio of push/pull that I could handle, but probably not on 30 secs for very long.

Bret, Let me get this straight. Did you do 3 pushups in each burpee, + 1 pullup every 30 secs for an hour? Sounds like a ratio of push/pull that I could handle, but probably not on 30 secs for very long.
Yes, I do it that way to keep HR down and make recovery easier. You can also do 8 counts, or even singles to play around with it. Pushups will get stronger pretty fast, initially the different stimulus will set you back a bit but the body rallies and responds. I like the technical aspect of NS, it's fun and reminds me of kb work, where every rep is a technique practice.

Sat 3/6

Mixed session

Armor building complex @ dbl 16k
10 rounds - 2 cleans, 2 squats, 1 press
10 rounds - 2 dbl snatch, 1 clean, 2 squats, 1 press

Single kb bottom up squat x 3
10 total right and left

Mace with squats - 5 rounds @ 30 lb
20 turns + 5 squats x 5
Screenshot 2021-03-06 at 11.11.15 AM.png

Last edited:
Sun 3/7

NS burpees
120 in 60 mins

Loving this for several reasons.. it's strength aerobics and running in place between repeats keeps my calves in the game as my leg heals. Hopefully there'll be minimum calf problems when I can resume running.
Screenshot 2021-03-07 at 11.01.25 AM.png

Tues 3/9

Today I was dying for some locomotion so I went to the grass and got to work.. I figured if I can run in place then I can also run slowly, so I rode the Valkyrie down to Mission Bay. There are miles of grass over there, it's where I was first able to run successfully.
I decided that burpees and running outside would be fantastic, the ground over there is not flat and has many high and low areas. Doing that many push-ups on uneven terrain I think was a mistake, my shoulders aren't ready for high volume all terrain push-ups yet and I had a tweak in the left front deltoid. It kind of bummed me out for a short time, then I decided to Nico run and see how it went. Running that slowly didn't engage the problem muscle in my left leg very much and I didn't feel any negative feedback there. I started to get a little stiff in the knees which is to be expected I guess after not running for so long.

Overall a pretty successful outing, I counted 43 or 44 burpees and got some wind in my face. It was a chilly wind and blowing pretty steadily, overall it was a great experience.
Screenshot 2021-03-09 at 12.59.47 PM.png

Thank you, it feels good to run.. more than good :)
I know the feeling. Once in a while my knee is painfull and it always feel great to be able to run again. Funky is, many years ago I did not like it (pt test was about the only time I ran ? ) but now I really enjoy it. Especially the combo of running and snatching is/ feels great (for me).

I know the feeling. Once in a while my knee is painfull and it always feel great to be able to run again. Funky is, many years ago I did not like it (pt test was about the only time I ran ? ) but now I really enjoy it. Especially the combo of running and snatching is/ feels great (for me).
It becomes very addicting, I always feel better after running as it seems to flush toxins from the body and mind. I'm really missing snatching and will play with the 24k when it feels right, not sure whether I injured myself running or through heavy snatching.. I'll probably never know. For now snatching anything heavier than the 24K bell is out of the picture until I get healed up.
It may be a good time for 044 when my body is ready, some months of that should have me back into pretty good shape.

Back
Top Bottom