all posts post new thread

Bret S. training log

Sat 3/27

Beach locomotion
~55 mins run total, after 15 mins running I walked due to a tightening calf for 15 mins, then finished with run.
Two cold dips, I reckon the water temp is still 57-58, felt extremely good getting into the cold water. Going neck deep and hanging for a couple minutes is golden, on the first dip my hands started to feel the cold.. first time I felt that, the 2nd dip was glorious. The water was fairly calm with max 2-3 ft waves and super clear, didn't see any wildlife out there today.
Screenshot 2021-03-27 5.14.53 PM.png

Last edited:
Sometimes it’s a good thing not to see any wildlife in the ocean....
This is true, there are tons of sharks swimming around but you rarely see them, about a year ago in similar conditions I saw a ray flash away and a small shark, there were some fish swimming around also.

I got hit by a ray between the toes around that time (not that day), luckily it was my right foot, I had ridden the motorcycle to the beach as usual.. the pain started to really intensify as I rode home, hitting the rear brake was excruciating when I had to do it.

Tues 3/30

Strength aerobic work
-30 mins rowing and mace 5 x 40 @22lb
-NS burpees with 1 pullup x 60

Totals
20 min row
200 mace turns
180 pushup
60 pullup
NS burps are so addicting I had to force myself to stop at 60, they're very powerful medicine. I've gained 6-8 lbs of muscle since starting them. The flip side is volume will catch up to you quickly, it's my belief nobody can keep high volume with them when first starting out, like kb's there's an adaptation period you can't avoid. My gut feeling is it'll take a year to fully adapt.. could be wrong.Screenshot 2021-03-30 4.07.02 PM.png

I've been doing mobility stuff regularly again. Maybe once or twice a week or so. It really makes a nice difference.
Sure does, doing yoga and other stretches has helped a lot with my leg. The IT band was glued to a leg bicep I think, been smashing it using Trevor Bachmeyer's Smashwerx UT channel. For years he's helped me relieve myself of many different problems. The issue I had was perplexing because I couldn't pin it down until my kinesiologist pointed out the problem areas, from there I was able to solve the puzzle. It's at least 70-75% there I think. ?

Thurs 4/1

30 minute yoga balance/stretch

Good stuff, averaging 3-4 sessions per week.
I used to be very flexible, but neglected it. Should use it more again (and not only if I feel my back tightening). Got stew smith's mobility book. Maybe should put that more in practice.

I used to be very flexible, but neglected it. Should use it more again (and not only if I feel my back tightening). Got stew smith's mobility book. Maybe should put that more in practice.
I've done the same by relying on my karate flexibility and taking it for granted by not working on it as much, now at 62 I don't want to start losing it so I'm nipping that in the bud. I really don't like feeling stiff and the problem with my leg was a nice wake-up call.

I've done the same by relying on my karate flexibility and taking it for granted by not working on it as much, now at 62 I don't want to start losing it so I'm nipping that in the bud. I really don't like feeling stiff and the problem with my leg was a nice wake-up call.
Which Ryu?

Sat 4/3

Rowing and mace
20 min row
100 turns @ 22lb
10 min row
100 turns @ 22lb
10 min row
Mace turns were 100 continuous with no direction or hand position change, First 100 were RH low, next hundred was LH low. Burpees are competing with mace volume.. not sure how to reconcile it yet.

Good pump :)
Screenshot 2021-04-03 9.40.24 AM.png

Back
Top Bottom