all posts post new thread

Bret S. training log

Sat 4/10

Unloading today with some body lengthening and stretching.. a 30 min formal yoga session along with the usual breath work has me feeling good and relaxed.

I'm really good at beating on my body, and not so good at being nice to it.. that's been changing though.

Sat 4/10

Unloading today with some body lengthening and stretching.. a 30 min formal yoga session along with the usual breath work has me feeling good and relaxed.

I'm really good at beating on my body, and not so good at being nice to it.. that's been changing though.
Sounds familiar. Started this week with a few mobity drills after most workouts. Who knows, maybe one day I learn.

Sounds familiar. Started this week with a few mobity drills after most workouts. Who knows, maybe one day I learn.
Doing these things a few times per week is making a big difference in how I feel after neglecting them for around 2 years.. the problem I had with running was a window into what's been happening in my body. It has served a good purpose as an awakening that I can't coast on genetics alone and need to do these things on a regular basis.

Mon 4/12

Mace
500 turns @ 22lb (10 x 50r)

Bad day for bonzo.. tried snatching but the body said nyet, tweaked my back a bit on the right side rib area. Haven't been feeling 100%, not sick but feel like I'm fighting something off lately. Also yoga may have played a part in my feeling not ready for snatches today. Burpees weren't in the cards either, the last thing I need is a shoulder tweak :/
Screenshot 2021-04-12 3.16.42 PM.png

Mon 4/12

Mace
500 turns @ 22lb (10 x 50r)

Bad day for bonzo.. tried snatching but the body said nyet, tweaked my back a bit on the right side rib area. Haven't been feeling 100%, not sick but feel like I'm fighting something off lately. Also yoga may have played a part in my feeling not ready for snatches today. Burpees weren't in the cards either, the last thing I need is a shoulder tweak :/
View attachment 13457
Always smart listening to your body. But 500 mace turns is still a monster.

Sat 4/17

Mace
4 x 50 @ 22lb
2 x 50 @26lb
2 x 20 @30lb
2 x 10 @ 32.5lb
2 x 10 @ 35lb
2 x 100 @ 22lb

Totals
400 @ 22lb
100 @ 26lb
40 @ 30lb
20 @ 32.5 lb
20 @ 35lb
600 turns today

2100 turns this week as I recover anterior muscle, it's an interesting thing playing with high volume mace work. The 1k turn session was a bit of a stretch, I like to do those high volume sessions to see precisely what's being worked. Surprisingly calfs got sore from that session and it carried into the following days run.

Training and learning continues.
Screenshot 2021-04-17 11.19.56 AM.png

Sat 4/17

Mace
4 x 50 @ 22lb
2 x 50 @26lb
2 x 20 @30lb
2 x 10 @ 32.5lb
2 x 10 @ 35lb
2 x 100 @ 22lb

Totals
400 @ 22lb
100 @ 26lb
40 @ 30lb
20 @ 32.5 lb
20 @ 35lb
600 turns today

2100 turns this week as I recover anterior muscle, it's an interesting thing playing with high volume mace work. The 1k turn session was a bit of a stretch, I like to do those high volume sessions to see precisely what's being worked. Surprisingly calfs got sore from that session and it carried into the following days run.

Training and learning continues.
View attachment 13518
Wished I'd known about mace work years ago, when I was still playing slow-pitch softball. I had a heavy 1-1/2" to 2" dia steel bar we used to warm up. When I quit playing, I gave it to our manager for the team to use. Your volume is impressive(mace wts. too).

Wished I'd known about mace work years ago, when I was still playing slow-pitch softball. I had a heavy 1-1/2" to 2" dia steel bar we used to warm up. When I quit playing, I gave it to our manager for the team to use. Your volume is impressive(mace wts. too).
Me too man, thank you! That bar has gained in value :) Mace is a fantastic tool for things you just can't do using other methods.. the experiments will continue :)

Keep on the mace train and see what it does for you is my advice (humbly suggested of course), for me it has 'fixed' my shoulder from a debilitating injury, along with NS burpees which I think were the final link in the chain for real world demands. Shoulder easily now exceeds 95% of full functionality and strength after a substantial long term injury of `8 years.. it's good to be confident in shoulder durability again. I anecdotally report some overall strength gains due, without question, to high volume mace work ?

Back
Top Bottom