all posts post new thread

Bret S. training log

Post dinner walk,always feel great. Used to do them a lot, lately doing them less (excuses dark, wet, colder hahaha, should really be doing these again. Thanks for the reminder).

Post dinner walk,always feel great. Used to do them a lot, lately doing them less (excuses dark, wet, colder hahaha, should really be doing these again. Thanks for the reminder).
You're welcome!, sometimes I don't feel like it but always I feel much better after. It seems to set the body up for better digestion and sleep also.

Mon 11/21

AM
Run/walk 2.5 mi
Backing off miles a bit seems to be helping heel soreness to dissipate. Also a running technique change is paying big dividends.

PM
Row 10 min
20 NS burpee with power jump and pullup on :30
Row 10 min
100 mace 10&2 @22lb
Row 10 min

Nice session after a rough weekend
Row 30 mins
60 pushup
20 pullup
20 power jump
100 mace
1 mi walk after dinner
Screenshot 2021-11-22 2.55.48 PM.png

Last edited:
Maybe I haven‘t been paying attention… what’s up with the heel?
Maybe I didn't mention it.. I have a slight bone bruise on the outer, rearmost portion of my right heel from playing with the dog about two weeks ago. Both heels were getting a little tender from all the miles we've been doing, and every day locomotion on two feet is something I haven't done before and it's been going on for around 5 months now.
I did ok averaging 120 mi per month, then increased distance to 130-150 mi. I noticed some tenderness and soreness coming on a few weeks ago so decided to drop miles back down for awhile and wear a little more padded sole shoes.

Be mindful of things like heel spurs and / or plantar fasciitis. Both of those conditions can creep up on a person and develop into a chronic condition that is very frustrating to manage. Not saying that this is your situation at all just a heads up that’s all…

Whats the running technique change?
Larry, I started landing the foot a little shorter than normal and with a more bent leg. It has helped to take me from a slight heel first landing to more of a mid-foot or even front(ish) foot ground strike. Also cadence has increased a little. I'm trying to be smooth and sort of 'paw' at the ground while minimizing impact. Then all I need to do is kick a little more to increase speed.

Be mindful of things like heel spurs and / or plantar fasciitis. Both of those conditions can creep up on a person and develop into a chronic condition that is very frustrating to manage. Not saying that this is your situation at all just a heads up that’s all…
Thanks Brian, I have been a victim of PF before and it really sucks. I will monitor things going forward, certainly don't need any more training challenges at this juncture.

Nice, one of Al’s cues that always stuck with me was to bend your knees more than you think you have to.

Back
Top Bottom