all posts post new thread

Bret S. training log

One day when you're feeling good you should grab up the 20K and see how it goes, failure teaches us a lot more than success I think. Doing a run right afterwards would kick my butt, waiting a couple hours would work. My ST rep strategy has always been 10/10 OTM, that way I get a short rest every minute.

The situation you describe at the end of your post sounds brutal, I imagine you're a fast runner.
No, not a fast runner. But like my thread says, just keep moving :)

No, not a fast runner. But like my thread says, just keep moving :)
Haha, me too man, my natural speed is around 12:30 min mile. Running slower is just as beneficial as faster running, and may yield more benefit overall as you increase run time.

Are you doing Niko Niko running sometimes?

I do intend to get certified one day. I am probably not 100% ready for it at the moment. The real issue is money though. I know it’s worth it, but it would be a big luxury. One day when I’m more established and perhaps working with older kids i can get the school I’m working for to chip in, or I’ll be more established personally and be able to afford it myself. For the time being i just take my training as serious as i would in front of an sfg and tlreqp all the benifits, freebies, and trickle down i get from this site/forum/community/company.

Haha, me too man, my natural speed is around 12:30 min mile. Running slower is just as beneficial as faster running, and may yield more benefit overall as you increase run time.

Are you doing Niko Niko running sometimes?
Never heard of that.

My speed differs, today was (for me) fast, although had it not expected. According to strave 5:40 a kilometer as average speed.

Nice! I’ve actually been doing a lot of backwards walking lately. I might do a little running with it too as part of rehab intervals. Mostly i just do the walking while my kids are on recess now though. Do some stretching and backwards walking.

Never heard of that.

My speed differs, today was (for me) fast, although had it not expected. According to strave 5:40 a kilometer as average speed.
That's a good pace, sometimes I do stride out a little bit for short distances during a run.

Here's a link with some information, dr. Tanaka also has a book available you can read if you want to. My runs feel the best when average heart rate is around 112 or so.. A 120 average run I'm usually moving faster and it's not as enjoyable.

Last edited:
Very interesting bret. His marathon improvements are simply astonishing. I would like to add aome anecdotal findings to this that i just came across personally. You both know i have not been running, but at the begining of this semesterni took part in an acsm fitness test. Basically do a vo2max test via a one mile walk, muscular endurance for upper body via max pushups, a curl up test for abdominal endurance (modified sit up), and the back saver sit and reach to test flexibility. My training kept me in fair shape though, went from 36 to 33 pushups after not having done any in two months, curl up teat went up by 2, (forgot about bmi, bmi stayed the same and is not useful or applicable to someone of my size and weight, aka I’m too damn strong!). But the really big change was my 1 mile walk test, my vo2 max went up 2 points! That is kind of significant imo since a lot of vo2max is your god given genetics. I will say that the first test was me walking by myself around a neighborhood, and this one was a high energy race with me being motivated to walk faster. However, i think it’s worth noting.

Thanks brother, I'm enjoying mixed mode rowing very much. As a bonus it's very good for shoulder rehab.

It helps being a featherweight now haha
Bret, just curious, are you one of those OMAD guys? I've been toying with Intermittent fasting, maybe 16/8, or doing a 24 hour fast once or twice a week. Still researching and want to ease into it. Dropping a few pounds would be beneficial to me also.

Bret, just curious, are you one of those OMAD guys? I've been toying with Intermittent fasting, maybe 16/8, or doing a 24 hour fast once or twice a week. Still researching and want to ease into it. Dropping a few pounds would be beneficial to me also.
I'm a 2MAD guy, physical work won't let me do OMAD.. and I don't like to eat huge quantities. The key is not eating between meals, fasting on a 16/8 is good to do overnight and into noon or so. If working a job requiring more effort I need to eat earlier.

Back
Top Bottom