all posts post new thread

Bret S. training log

Wore my work boots again with double socks, still no good :/ ... last time I'll be wearing them for rucking
Bummer. For what it's worth, I usually ruck in my running shoes if I'm on hardball or a good trail. I usually only wear boots when I'm trying to break them in, or when I'm actually out hiking through some real terrain. I know some people argue that you shouldn't ruck in your running shoes because it will cause issues with how they wear, but I think that's more of an issue with shoes that have a lot of padding.

Bummer. For what it's worth, I usually ruck in my running shoes if I'm on hardball or a good trail. I usually only wear boots when I'm trying to break them in, or when I'm actually out hiking through some real terrain. I know some people argue that you shouldn't ruck in your running shoes because it will cause issues with how they wear, but I think that's more of an issue with shoes that have a lot of padding.
Yes, it was an experiment to see how it felt to ruck in boots vs shoes. I usually wear Trail Gloves, and sometimes Vapor Gloves if the terrain isn't too jagged. Rucking requires a little padding for me so the Trail Gloves work pretty well.
I haven't run in shoes for a year now, unless it's a trail run, mostly I'm running on the beach barefoot. I love the cold water on my feet and the fresh sea air.. ahhhh

I ride the motorcycle to ruck and don't like to ride in shoes.. guess I'll just changefrom boots to shoes when I get there.

Thurs 12/17

Supersets x 5
2hsw x 20 @32k
Banded ring pushup x 8

Mace & Pullup (alternating weight)
20 mace turns @22 lb
5 pullup
20 mace turns @26 lb
5 pullup
20 mace turns @30 lb
5 pullup
20 mace turns @22 lb
5 pullup
20 mace turns @26 lb
5 pullup
20 mace turns @30 lb
5 pullup
20 mace turns @22 lb
5 pullup
20 mace turns @26 lb
5 pullup
20 mace turns @30 lb
5 pullup

low energy day today
Screenshot 2020-12-17 at 3.26.53 PM.png

Fri 12/18

1 hr trail run at the lake, this one was harder for me than it looks now in the chart. My watch was showing a super high HR in the beginning.. after a time that issue sorted itself out.

I like beach running much more, but figure variety is good, even if it's forced by uncooperative tides at the beach, maybe it's a little gift from nature :)

I really don't like running on hills.
Screenshot 2020-12-18 at 12.53.22 PM.png

Mon 12/21

Beach run
Strange day, tides weren't so good and the Cardiff Beach side was really mushy, so I stayed on the Solana Beach side. After 15 mins running I lowered the RPE and just cruised picking a point to point route with no attention paid to HR or miles etc.. I expected maybe ~5 miles total.
Screenshot 2020-12-21 at 4.08.00 PM.png

Thurs 12/24

Alternating 5 rounds
40 mace turns @22lb
8 chinup

Double kb C&P
16k x 5r x 4 rounds

Mixed bag
- 25 mace 10/2 @ 26lb
- Renegade row 5 + 5 @ 32k
- 25 mace 10/2 @ 30lb
- Renegade row 5 + 5 @ 32k
- 25 mace 10/2 @ 30lb

Finisher
100 cont. mace turns @ 22lb

Before doing high rep mace work I couldn't press 10 lbs on my right shoulder without mega pain, now I have a press path with less shoulder crunching and much less pain. ?
Screenshot 2020-12-24 at 11.39.36 AM.png

Sun 12/27

Beach run 1 hr
Had a toothache for a few days, always on a holiday weekend it seems, poor sleep due to pain and eating one meal daily.. HR ran higher which is no surprise, though I felt good running.

The high HR blip reading was due to my watch being too loose on the wrist. Overall not a bad outing considering..
Screenshot 2020-12-27 at 4.06.14 PM.png

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom