all posts post new thread

Bret S. training log

Funny how real work builds some impressive hands. Years ago, I hired some tree "guys" to take down 9 tall pine trees, up to 80 feet tall. The boss was a stocky guy around 5-8 or 5-9, and he couldn't always use the bucket lift, so he'd climb them with a safety harness and good-sized chain saw strapped onto him. He'd hang onto the tree, holding the chainsaw in one hand. He shook my hand kind of casually, and you could feel the raw strength. The other guy I met was a dairy farmer(ever hear of farmer's carries?), and he was around 6'-6 and probably low 300's. His handshake felt like you were gripping a two-by-six.
Now you’re describing my family and their line of work.

There's no way to duplicate blue collar hand strength with 'artificial' means.. realistically, who can commit to hand work as a full time job for life?

@offwidth is probably in the camp of those who come closest I would think.

Last edited:
Mon 8/30

Mace
2 x 50 @ 22lb

Snatch
4 NR @ 32k
8 NR @ 28k

Mace
10 x 10 @ 30lb in 10 mins

Rowing
15 mins

Tues 8/31

Rowing and HR pushups, I did a walkout to each pushup and back x 10.. my shoulders love that. 40 total PU with 30 mins row.

Thurs 9/2

Snatch
20 NR @24k

Mace
10 x 10 @ 30lb

LC DC&PP
5 x 3 @ 20k

Modified NS burpee test
5 repeats:
Squat, walkout to HR push-ups, jump feet forward and power jump followed by a pull-up.

Mon 9/6

Snatch and mace
10NR @24k
4NR @28k
mace 5 x 10 @30lb

Mace
2 x 30 @30lb

Walkout to HR pushup x 10
LB was a little cranky today so gaffed snatches early.
====
Tues 9/7

3 rounds 2HSW alternated with walkout to HR pushup
Swing x 20 @32k
PU x 10

Mace
2 x 25 @30lb

Pull-up
1 x 10

Mon 9/13

2HSW
10 x 10 @ 24k
10 x 10 @ 28k

Slow walkout to HR pushup x 15

Tried pull-up and chin-up, the top half of the movement was a no go..

Mace - 3 rounds
10 + 10 @ 22lb

Snatch - 3 rounds
10 + 10 @12k
Hurt my shoulder trying to protect the pup from a full grown GS male dog.
Think the shoulder tissue will be a bit annoyed for awhile after I finished with this.. should resolve quickly and yield benefits tomorrow. Swings are a treat as always, chicken soup for the body. It was a pretty cool sensation snatching, the weight literally pulled my arm up to lockout, man that felt good. Mace hurt some though didn't feel like I was re-injuring anything. Did some full body weight passive hangs, pretty happy with everything considering the injury happened on Sat.

Overall I have some work to do getting things back in shape, time is all I have though.. until it's up and dirt covers me of course :)

Locomotion is good.. 2 1/2 miles this am + 2 miles at the beach, another walk tonight.
Screenshot 2021-09-13 4.43.24 PM.png

Mon 9/13

2HSW
10 x 10 @ 24k
10 x 10 @ 28k

Slow walkout to HR pushup x 15

Tried pull-up and chin-up, the top half of the movement was a no go..

Mace - 3 rounds
10 + 10 @ 22lb

Snatch - 3 rounds
10 + 10 @12k
Hurt my shoulder trying to protect the pup from a full grown GS male dog.
Think the shoulder tissue will be a bit annoyed for awhile after I finished with this.. should resolve quickly and yield benefits tomorrow. Swings are a treat as always, chicken soup for the body. It was a pretty cool sensation snatching, the weight literally pulled my arm up to lockout, man that felt good. Mace hurt some though didn't feel like I was re-injuring anything. Did some full body weight passive hangs, pretty happy with everything considering the injury happened on Sat.

Overall I have some work to do getting things back in shape, time is all I have though.. until it's up and dirt covers me of course :)

Locomotion is good.. 2 1/2 miles this am + 2 miles at the beach, another walk tonight.
View attachment 14810
Good luck on your shoulder, butvstill great work done.

Mon 9/20

Almost Mace + A
10 x 25 @22lb

LC walkout to HRPU
5 x 5
Shoulder is bugged, working out the kinks in it..
Screenshot 2021-09-20 3.20.55 PM.png

Do you know exactly what is wrong with the shoulder?
Not yet, expecting to see my physio soon and he can pinpoint the problem. I suspect a tear of some scar tissue in Infra Spinatus and or Teres Minor is what happened when I yanked the dog leash, I was pulling him to the right and into me simultaneously.
To add a layer of scat to the mix, I moved a refrigerator on Sat last week and annoyed the shoulder area previously injured by moving a different fridge a couple months earlier. So now I'm in rebuild mode and centering training around strengthening and bulletproofing the shoulder.

Thurs 9/23

AM loco..
Got the run recorded today, hit the gas a little.

**edited to better pinpoint the run start, the first chart posted included part of the walk. Red zone was nasal breathing :) happy with this run. I think HR is too high for what I did, will incorporate some more tempo runs in the future.
Screenshot 2021-09-23 11.05.43 AM.png

Back
Top Bottom