all posts post new thread

Bodyweight bretzzel question

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

ali

Level 7 Valued Member
I've been doing bretzzels quite a lot recently to somehow get some oil into rusty my old thoracic.
Apart from needing a good spray of WD40 everywhere my thoracic area and external hips are as tight as a tight thing. The only position I find that I can relax in quite well is flat on my back, asleep.Having said that, the hip flexor stretch I like as I feel I can sink into it but anyway.....
when doing the bretzzel I find it hard to relax into it. So, left leg down clutched by my right hand by my glute, my top tight leg at 90 held behind the knee with my left hand. When doing so it is as if I need to be too tense with my left hand holding the right knee/leg. So I've taken to doing the position with my right foot resting on a doorframe, freeing up my left arm to relax allowing me to twist on the exhale easier. Just wandering by those in the know if this is an appropriate amendment to the position? I can tighten and relax by pushing the foot on the doorframe and relaxing it. It removes the arm from holding the leg, that's all, where if holding the leg I retain the tension and fight against opening out.
All very odd as I have got more mobile with daily mobility and getting stronger generally but I'm still a rusty old hinge. Thank you in advance

how to do a brettzel - Google Search

Lots to read and watch.

Basically, you want to use your breath to help you - exhale as you try to increase the range of motion.

You might wish to work with someone in person on this, maybe even have a training partner (or spouse) help you by applying a little pressure to the help the stretch.

-S-

Thanks Steve, apologies to Brett with my earlier incorrect spelling of Brettzel....

think I just watched a vid with your good self at a workshop....it's that holding on to the leg that causes me to be too tense, so think I'll do the first rib pull for a bit and focus on the breath more. Again, thank you

Steve, here:

....apologies in advance if that is not you. Top right of the frame, red t shirt, sitting on your haunches?

:) I looked at it on YouTube - said it was uploaded in 2010. That seems possible to me.

-S-

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom