all posts post new thread

Nutrition Broccoli? What is Pavel's beef with broccoli?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
His broccoli issue must be part of character attributes. I always take his food advice half joke and he tells us to consult other experts for food advice.

I heard him directly saying "It's OK, Buffalo is beef!!" in response to "permission to eat Buffalo wings?"

Hello,

Eating healthy and quality, in function of the needs, not more, not less. Cooking and eating have to be a pleasure, not a constraint

Kind regards,

Pet'

Hello,

Broccoli is also pretty good steam cooked with rice and a bit of vinaigar :)

Kind regards,

Pet'

Hello,

@masa
As sweet potatoes are far easier to digest than potatoes. Taste is a bit different though.

Kind regards,

Pet'

I'm having my broccoli almost uncooked - just drop some salt & spices on it, and put in microwave for ~2 minutes. Same with asparagus, which, with broccoli, is a great deal in my daily nutrition.

Hello,

I like broccoli steam cooked, with some olive oïl, oregano and garlic. A bit of salt and pepper and "bon appétit !". With cider vinegar as well :)

Kind regards,

Pet'

There are a lot of people opposed to broccoli b/c it contains phytoestrogens. I know some guys that won't touch the stuff b/c they are terrified of estrogen - jokes on them. Phytoestrogens in broccoli and other cruciferous veggies are actually great for hormonal balance, and (along with sleep and training) can improve androgen levels. Here's a great article on such from Breaking Muscle if you are interested:

Phytoestrogens and Your Testosterone Levels

Hello,

Plus, human receptors to phytoestrogens are 1000 to 10000 less sensitive to phytoestrogens than "human estrogens". This is the same for soy. Japanese folks eat lots of them and they have no issue.

Kind regards,

Pet'

There's a lot of evidence that soy though can lead to significant increases in estrogen levels in males, especially if eaten daily. However, there are also studies that disagree - as science goes any more. But there are enough studies that its worth noting it could certainly have a negative hormonal effect for a strength athlete

There's a lot of evidence that soy though can lead to significant increases in estrogen levels in males, especially if eaten daily. However, there are also studies that disagree - as science goes any more. But there are enough studies that its worth noting it could certainly have a negative hormonal effect for a strength athlete

The way I've understood things, is that the earliest studies claimed the all soy was bad because of the estrogen. Later on, it was found out that fermented soy products were ok. The latest research seems to claim that there never were any problems with soy.

Still, I've never developed a taste for the stuff except soy sauce, which is fermented, and which is used in extremely small quantities. So I see no reason to eat the stuff, so I don't worry. If a friend of mine was vegan, I'd probably recommend rice protein and leucine.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom