all posts post new thread

Barbell Bruising from Zercher Squats

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

JeffC

Level 7 Valued Member
I have recently added Zercher Squats to my program. I have removed high bar back squats for a while because I have been feeling beat up lately. I kept front squats in and do them with military press, because the front rack is warmed up.

I am new to the Zercher rack position and am getting bruising in the crook of the arm. Is there a way to prevent this? Also, what do you do with the hands? I clasp one hand with the other and switch hands each set.

Bruising can happen. We have a set of axle (fat) bars at our gym that we use for Zerchers. This helps a great deal. Other than that, I would suggest tensing your forearm as much as possible in order to alleviate the pressure.

The hands should be clenched hard. Clasping is fine as long as your palms face up and not towards each other.

Bruising can happen. We have a set of axle (fat) bars at our gym that we use for Zerchers. This helps a great deal. Other than that, I would suggest tensing your forearm as much as possible in order to alleviate the pressure.

The hands should be clenched hard. Clasping is fine as long as your palms face up and not towards each other.

Thank you for the advice.

I guess the forearm will toughen up and adapt over time. I have fat grips that go over the bar. I will try those on a few sets and see how that goes.

Liking the Zercher squat so far I can see it as an arm, upper back, and torso builder. Also takes a lot of lower back out of squatting because it allows for a more vertical torso.

Actually, a torso matching the angle of the back squat is how the Zercher should be performed. Think about hours on a clock: if 6 o'clock is the direction your hips point with a goblet squat, they should point to 8 o'clock when performing a Zercher or back squat. Think 7 o'clock for front squats and 9 o'clock for good mornings. Hope that helps :)

@Arryn Grogan As an Olympic weightlifter I have always trained squats as vertical as possible because you are training the receiving position, not brute strength. I will implement your cues in my next squat session.
Thank you.

Last edited:
The Zercher squats are going great. Tried the fat grips on the bar but the bar did not feel secure in the crook of the arm. Bruising and tenderness on the arms is manageable. I'm sure it will toughen up. The kettlebell hurt like hell at first also.

@Arryn Grogan. I have been sitting back more in the squat, and feel more posterior chain loading. As opposed to sitting between ankles like I had been doing. Thanks for the cues, change is good. I have ordered an axel bar and am looking forward to TGU, bent pressing, squatting, deadlifting, and clean+pressing it. I have been wanting one for a while, now I have another reason to get it.

I have been Zercher squatting twice a week for a few months, changing variables often, and rarely going less than 3 reps, or more than 5 reps. I have been using an Axel Bar for a few weeks. I have not gotten bruising since I first started, but for a few days after squatting the top of my forearm, close to the crook of the arm is very tender.

My weights are getting up there now. Last workout I did Banded Zercher Squat from Rack, 90lbs top, 20lbs bottom, sets of 5 up to 265lbs. I really feel my torso, and upper back working hard to maintain tension, and like results of so much Zercher Squatting.

How far can you push the weight on Zercher Squats, until it becomes to uncomfortable? Thinking of going back to the Front Squat for a while. I have not Back Squatted in about 6 months.

started doing ZercherSquats this week after some eight months I think.
I really feel my torso, and upper back working hard to maintain tension
that is true. The Zercher really encourages tension generation, especially as I deadlift the bar up, lay it down on my thighs and begin from a dead start. It is a tremendous lift, indeed.
Looking forward, what you have to say, when you go with another squat. Can you say something regarding deadlifts?

@Harald Motz Zerchers from the floor are great, I Snatch Grip Deadlift the bar onto my thighs. I did them bottom up off of pins a few times, a lot of singles and doubles on the minute at uncomfortably heavy weight, and loved to hate them. I am a bit of a masicist.

I don't know if I can say anything original about the deadlift, I could go on all day, but I will say one thing.

I like Snatch Grip Deadlifts a lot as back off accessory work, or a light day if I need it. I like them because they make the Deadlift harder, and put you at a disadvantage, with less load. You can do them off low blocks to pull from the same height as your Conventional Deadlift, or from the floor for more leg drive, and range of motion. I deadlift double overhand hook grip, so the wide grip suits me. If you are not used to hook grip, it will be painfull, or if you do not hook grip will really train the grip. They really require a lot tension in the Lats, upper back, and triceps.

Also, don't be afraid to do sets of higher reps once in a while. It is never talked about here, even though Hypertrophy comes up quite often. I have never made more progress in the Barbell MP until I started doing some high rep pressing. A guy who can strict press 60kg x 20+ is pretty dam strong. Some days I will deadlift up to a heavy single or triple, in sets of fives and threes, and then go down to 315lbs or 365lbs and rep out for two or three sets. Not a bouncing touch and go deadlift, but a "dead"lift. Down, breath out, breath in, and pull, while maintaining tension. 16 reps at 345lbs is my best last set.

I guess that's two things

Zerchers from the floor are great, I Snatch Grip Deadlift the bar onto my thighs.
that is exactly, how I perform them (I used the double overhand hook grip while doing the Daily Dose Deadlift Plan - StrongFirst) because in a usual DL the hands are on that spot on the thigh, where the bar should be. I then make the zercher, then going down tensed, controlled and slowly, then get back to the snatch grip, stand up, and lower the bar tensed and silently, because I got new next door neighbours, and not everyone likes heavy metal, so to speak. Then even one cycle of one rep is a lot of work, makes the heart beating wildly. I want to stay some time with the lift with low volume but frequent training.
Thanks for your Infos.

Last edited:
They make those bar pads for cushioning the neck. Some aren't quite as thick as others, I wonder if two of those would work? I've never done zerchers so I'm just throwing it out there.

@RyanTheeRed With the hands facing each other the bars sits on the muscle on the top of the forearm and can be very uncomfortable when weights get heavy. With the hands facing you it spreads the load more, and is not resting directly on that muscle. The important thing is to clench the hands hard, set the arms and back before you squat weather from the thighs or squat rack.

@banzaiengr I would not recommend a p###y pad because the arms will never adapt. Not unlike using wrist bands to protect the forearms from the kettlebell. I like to use an Axel, some like fat grips. They spread the load a bit more than an olympic bar. Also, deadlifting the Axel adds an extra challenge to the Zercher Lift.

@RyanTheeRed With the hands facing each other the bars sits on the muscle on the top of the forearm and can be very uncomfortable when weights get heavy. With the hands facing you it spreads the load more, and is not resting directly on that muscle. The important thing is to clench the hands hard, set the arms and back before you squat weather from the thighs or squat rack.

@banzaiengr I would not recommend a p###y pad because the arms will never adapt. Not unlike using wrist bands to protect the forearms from the kettlebell. I like to use an Axel, some like fat grips. They spread the load a bit more than an olympic bar. Also, deadlifting the Axel adds an extra challenge to the Zercher Lift.

I almost called them the same thing.

Answer to original question.
I use neoprene elbow sleeves that help a bit but when the weight gets heavy there is not much more you can do.
The thick bar may help but for me personally it doesn't feel as secure in the arms.
I once had strongman Bud Jefferies over and he did zerchers from pins up with 650 pounds.
It left some nasty abrasions on his forearms that also got bruised.
I either clasp the hands or have them out with fists clinched.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom