all posts post new thread

Old Forum BUD/s Train Up Part 2

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

twillenberg01

Level 1 Valued Member
Hey guys, for anyone who read my last post I was scheduled to leave for basic (then BUD/s) mid july. But do to the backlog of security check needed I got moved back to september 29th instead so I adjusted my training plan for the increased time allotted (posted below). Let me know what you guys think! I have been doing it for 2 weeks now and it has been great... hard but great!

Current and Goal (before leaving) PST Scores
Swim 8:20, goal 8:00
Pushups 85, goal 100
Situps 75, goal 100
Pullups 20, goal 30
Run 9:30, goal 9:00

BUD/s Train-Up Plan
***GTG Chest to Ground Pushups (M-F)
***Every 4th-5th week is a deload week where i retake PST and Recover

Monday:
Time Trial run working on a 7min/mi pace up to 10k
Strength and Conditioning

Tuesday:
Pool Swim- Hour in the pool working with swim coach

Wednesday:
Run-Swim-Run on beach easy pace but working up 4mi

Thursday:
Interval run: start at 200m and work up to 1mi (this is the heaviest of the running days)
Pool Swim: Hour in the pool working with swim coach

Friday:
Beach or Trail Fartlek 4-6mi

Saturday:
LSD Run 7-10 miles (and maybe a fin swim)

Sunday:
FREE DAY

***S&C***
(alternate day 1 and day 2, this is basically Pavels Force Recon Program with some slight Modifications)

Day 1
1a) Weighted pull-ups -24+kg, 5x5
1b) Clean and presses -2x28-32kg KBs, 5x5

2) Walking Lunge -2x32-36kg KB (can add up to a 45lb weight vest if needed... Its not right now), 5x5

3a) Snatch with a 32kg KB -5 sets, hard but not to failure
3b) Alternate the snatches with strict hanging leg raises -5 sets

Day 2
1) 10min Clean & Push Press (~75-85% RPE) with 32-36kg

2) Pull-ups: 100 total
- Do 10 squats (2x24kg) every time you come off bar
- 30min time limit

3) Swings with a 24kg KB -alternate sets of 10-20 with ~100m jogs (not sprints! the jog is for recovery, practice good breathing habits) for as long as you can handle it

Hi Trevor. Thanks for the follow up, I really liked the discussion in the first thread.

As with anyone who looks at a program, I can come up with things I'd do differently. And those things are probably not relevant at all. But I do have a few questions for you.

What do you consider your biggest strength and weakness going into the selection?

What is your height and weight?

And what are you doing to fuel these workouts? That's a lot of volume.

Thanks, and I'm looking forward to hearing how things go over the next few months.

I'm currently serving in the U.S. Navy. Good luck in your endeavor.

Hey Brian,
Thanks for the reply!
Right now I would say that while I do not think I am really weak at one thing my main focus going in is running, both in getting faster and going longer. I just finished doing a large volume of swimming in my previous program, so I lost a little bit of running strength while that was on the back burner. But as Ive said that is now my focus and I hope to maintain if not get even a bit faster in the swim while crushing the run program Im doing just in time to leave for basic. My strength I think is my ability to recover quickly, which is why i have been able to handle this volume so far.
Right now im about 6'1", 190lbs. I could stand to lose 5-10lbs as i think it would help with running, but i dont feel bad at this weight.
As for fuel i would have to say this is my biggest weakness, some days are better than others but i "try" to eat more whole foods (although that doesnt always workout for me). Other than that I just try to have a positive mindset going into workouts and also have a good group of like minded individuals i work with and that seems to carry me through training.

Thanks for the replys and Leo thank you for your service and the kind words. Im excited to hear every ones feed back back on the programming.

Awesome stuff, Trevor. The one thing I was actually going to comment on was your running. Specifically the long run. I would think about slowly adding to that until you're doing about 15 or 16 miles, or 2+ hours of running. If it were me, I would only go up every other week and keep the 'off' week like you've got it listed. So,

week 1, 8 miles
week 2, 10
week 3, 8-10
week 4, 12
week 5, 8-10
week 6, 14
week 7, 8-10
week 8, 15-16

You list it as LSD, so I'm sure you know to keep it super aerobic (like walk up the hills or anytime your heart gets going too much). This should help you with a lot of things. I'm not an operator (just an endurance junkie turned kettlebeller), but I always felt at my best when I was getting some regular over-distance work in. It made my short stuff faster and gave me the confidence to go really, really long at any time.

I'm not sure you would need to run more than 2 hours at a time. Others could say for sure. If you wanted to keep extending things at that point, I'd add time and look for really hilly trails and turn it into more of a run/hike. Perhaps carry a pack with all your food, water, etc. in it.

I also had a couple thoughts for fuel. I'd recommend taking two days a week (Sunday and Tuesday might work) to make sure you shop and/or prep some good, whole food. Grill up some beef patties, chicken, pork, cook some potatoes and rice, and have bags of spinach on hand with peppers, onions, carrots, cucumbers, broccoli, and whatever else you might want to throw into a salad. This 1-2 hours of work will allow you to put together a super healthy meal in about 5 minutes any day of the week. It might help your sleep, recovery, and leaning out, too.

Of course, don't skip out on all the burgers, pizza, beer or whatever non-wholesome stuff you're doing now. You'll miss that in October:)

Oh, and leaning out a bit could be good. But I also feel like I've read in some other places that guys like to go into BUDS a little soft. Carrying 20k extra calories will help you stay strong and insulate you a little better in all that frigid water.

Thanks again for the updates. It's really fun to follow your progress.

Brian thank you very much for the advise, I'll definitely try and workup to that 2 hour mark!

Also due to one of my run buddies schedule issue ive had to move mt LSD run to tuesdays, so my weekly schedule is now:

Monday:
TT Run
KB S&C

Tuesday:
LSD Run
Pool Swim

Wednesday:
Beach Run&Swim
KB S&C

Thursday:
Interval Run
Swim

Friday:
Fartlek
KB S&C

Saturday:
FREE DAY

Sunday:
FREE DAY

It doesnt seem optimal, recovery wise, but when is anything ever. I might still end up doing an easy beach run and fin swim on saturdays but who knows, ill have to see how i am recovering.

Brian, being an endurance athlete what do you think of the change in the schedule?

Hi Trevor,

In a perfect world, I would keep my long day on the weekend where it was preceded by a not too difficult day and followed by a free day.

But you're going into special ops, so perfect world doesn't always work. With that in mind, Tuesday would work. However, I would make sure Wednesday's session was more swim than run, with most of that running being on the short and easy end.

I would also recommend not doing your Interval Run days and Fartlek Run days back to back. I suppose it kind of depends on how you structure each of them, but for me doing two fast paced days in a row is not ideal. It would be kind of like doing a hard day of clean and presses followed by a hard day of push presses. It would work, but you'd have to adjust things and your recovery might suffer.

On another note, it sounds like you are training with people a lot during the week. I think that is great for team building and keeping you motivated. But I do not think it would be a bad thing to do your long run on your own. It allows you to make sure the effort is right where it needs to be, and I think there are a lot of mental benefits to going long solo.

Anyways, just my thoughts. I'll be curious to hear what others think.

If I remember correctly, BUD/s requires a lot of movement while having a weight overhead (log PT, boat PT etc), is that something you have covered by the presses and snatches (obviously not an expert here)?

How about doing some heavy TGUs and or heavy waiter's walks during the S&C part in order to specifically work the movement under load over your head part?
Something I read somewhere else also, get used to being cold! no more hot showers, and get cold and wet whenever you can
More of a personal question rather than actual help to you, but i wish you good luck with the selection! Hang in there!!

Prepare yourself mentally as well.
Take up a type of warrior yoga, karate, or meditation to teach yourself mental control. The mental and spiritual aspects may be the most challenging part of any military training, particularly one so based on quitting or persevering. I speak from experience on this one.

I'm not going to tell you to change anything. There are better people who can advice you than me on a complete program. Hopefully Pavel will chime in if he hasn't before.

I will say handling odd objects like an IBS and logs while standing/walking/shuffle running in sand requires a lot of torso stability.

I do not know if you know what a slosh-pipe is. It is a 4"diameter piece of ABS (the uv resistant black plastic-type pipe or the white non-uv resistant PVC pipe) found at Home Depot or Lowes, etc.

Purchase a 10 foot piece and two end caps and some glue for it. Ask the workers there if you don't know which glue to buy and how to use.

Glue a cap on one end. Let it dry. Fill tube about 3/4 full of water. Or about 4.5 to 5 gallons of water, Dry the end off and then glue the other cap on. Let it cure standing upright leaning against a wall or something. The glue-can will tell you how long the glue takes to fully cure and be waterproof.

Once it's ready to use here's what you do:

Carry it Zercher squat style. In other words, pick it up and cradle it in your arms at the crooks of your elbows. Now start walking. This 40-50 pound slosh-pipe will start tipping one way or the other. You control that and try to keep it level. You can carry it at waist level or curl it up in the crooks of your arms and carry it higher near your chest. I like to switch it back and forth.

Stay tight! You'll look like a drunken sailor walking.

Gradually work up to carrying that puppy for a mile. This might take you a month or more to accomplish. Don't do too much at the start until you know how it impacts your body. If you've never done this before, you WILL feel it in the next day or so.

And, surprisingly enough to some people, your lats will get sore. Especially if you carry the slosh-pipe higher up your chest, almost on the front of your shoulders. The lats are part of your torso. Take it easy and build up to this and don't get injured. If you pay attention it's a safe movement to do and hits a lot of things.

Use this at the end of a regular strength training session. Do this maybe once or twice a week. It won't take you that long to walk a mile, once you get to that point, but it will hammer your torso and prepare you for carrying unwieldy objects.

The other thing you might do is a KB overhead carry once a week at the end of a KB session. Walk for a bit with it. You don't have to do a whole lot, just a few rounds walking maybe 50 feet or so. Or (I like this better):

You could also add in some overhead carries with the slosh-pipe, but that's a real test. You basically hold it overhead like a person snatching a barbell using that same hand spacing and walk. Same thing, maybe once per week after your regular routine.

If you do this, you may also want to lower the slosh-pipe to just holding at the top of your head and walking with it there. Don't rest it on your head, just try to walk and keep it about an inch or so above your head. Keep tight and control that slosh-pipe!

These are pretty tough, but doing them for a few walks at the end or your other training doesn't add much time and can really help when you find yourself carrying an IBS OH or resting on top of your head with your arms in that elevated position.

One thing that kills a lot of guys when they first start doing any sort of holds OH while doing sheetrock or painting is their arms die out fast because holding those static positions for time drains the blood out of the arms. It takes a while to get used to that.

It's just one area that nobody really thinks about, but you will be doing a lot of IBS holds and carries OH. A little slosh-pipe work can help with this.

If you do this, keep the torso nice and tight and breathe behind the shield. Practice of this can help protect your back. Doing some of these even after a run and when you are winded will help prepare you for the stresses of the carries. Pressing KB's and barbells is good, but holding something OH that is unstable while walking is a whole 'nother world. Keep good posture, and drop the slosh-pipe if anything feels weird.

Above all, not getting injured (especially while training)is your biggest concern. Train hard but train smart. Don't let your ego lead you into an injury, especially when trying new things. A little of this stuff goes a long way.

Just a thought...

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom