all posts post new thread

Bodyweight Building a (thick) Pull-up Bar

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

John K

Level 8 Valued Member
Certified Instructor
Hello,

This is a question for all you handy builders out there.

I am in process of building a pull-up bar with some spare 2x4s I have laying around. The original plan calls for using a 1" OD steel pipe to run through 1" holes in the ends of the 2x4s, and the frame being screwed into the garage wall studs. I like training on thicker bars and have some 1.5" pipe (1.9" OD) laying around. If I were to drill a 1.9" hole through the middle of the 2x4s, would that overly weaken the 2x4? Would a better alternative be to drill it off the top, creating a channel for the bar to sit in and securing the bar with a hanger strap work better without sacrificing strength?

If this is just a horrible idea I can just buy a 1" pipe or 2x6s.

Thanks for your input.

Not an answer to your question ...

I keep a couple of different diameter sections of PVC pipe on one of my pullup bars - I think I have 1.5 and 2.0 inches. I can take a picture if you want - it gives me the flexibility to do all three kinds of pullups. And for bigger then 2", I went - on a different pullup bar but they could also be on the same one - with a pair of Rolling Thunder handles.

If you want a pic, LMK.

-S-

I think you might be fine. You could offset the holes by drilling closer to the tops of the boards so that you have more material remaining below the bar. Say 1" below and 1/2" above. My Biggest concern would instead be shear strength.

You might even be able to reinforce the holes with thin metal plates. Put a plate on either side of each hole. Just drill the same size hole in the plates. Metal junction box covers might do it.

Not an answer to your question ...

I keep a couple of different diameter sections of PVC pipe on one of my pullup bars - I think I have 1.5 and 2.0 inches. I can take a picture if you want - it gives me the flexibility to do all three kinds of pullups. And for bigger then 2", I went - on a different pullup bar but they could also be on the same one - with a pair of Rolling Thunder handles.

If you want a pic, LMK.

-S-
Yes, a pic would be very helpful. Do you just slide the out of the way, or are they cut down the middle so you can snap them on?

I think you might be fine. You could offset the holes by drilling closer to the tops of the boards so that you have more material remaining below the bar. Say 1" below and 1/2" above. My Biggest concern would instead be shear strength.

You might even be able to reinforce the holes with thin metal plates. Put a plate on either side of each hole. Just drill the same size hole in the plates. Metal junction box covers might do it.
I'm not sure I understand the shear strength issue. Is that with the overall design, or just where those holes are drilled?

F917932F-518F-4CA1-AB7E-9045D13DFA75.jpegC3D57363-9697-435A-93BC-F113C2914938.jpeg

The bar lifts out of its brackets so it was simple enough to slide these on.

F272C717-CB8B-4A3B-8082-0A31B1FBDDF8.jpeg

This bar was originally sold for use with gravity boots so that you could hang upside down. I bought the bar but not the boots. I've had it since we lived in an apartment in NYC, so 30 years or so.

-S-

I'm not sure I understand the shear strength issue. Is that with the overall design, or just where those holes are drilled?
I meant overall design. Didn't look at the link the first time, but now that I have, the plan looks solid. I don't think you'll have an issue with a bigger bar.

View attachment 15318View attachment 15319

The bar lifts out of its brackets donut was simple enough to slide these on.

View attachment 15320

This bar was originally sold for use with gravity boots so that you could hang upside down. I bought the bar but not the boots. I've had it since we lived in an apartment in NYC, so 30 years or so.

-S-

@Coyotl
I like Steve’s set-up. I have also done exactly what you are planning with 2 x 4’s without issue.
You can also make ‘rings’ with short sections of PVC pipe and webbing or rope. That would be my choice.
Thank you all for your input! I like the versatility that using PVC sleeves/PVC rings would add, that's a really great idea.

I meant overall design. Didn't look at the link the first time, but now that I have, the plan looks solid. I don't think you'll have an issue with a bigger bar.
Awesome! That gives me a little more confidence!

I've had a similar setup to Steve's for years, I made the fist set of PVC sleeves a few months before this forum kicked off. I'm not sure when SF began, maybe around 7 or 8 years ago. So my boys have always assumed that was the way pullups were done. My oldest boy (15yo) can do 10 good slow reps on the set I have on my fat bar & they're 69mm OD. I asked him how many reps he can do on the thinner bar (42mm OD) a few days ago without using the sleeves and he cranked out 23 perfect reps. He said it felt like cheating doing them without the sleeves. I was bit envious, he doesn't do any regular training, he just plays on the bar every now & then, I train regularly & my form breaks down around 18-20 reps.
The rotation adds a bit of intensity, especially when you begin with the sleeves. It's not the same degree of added difficulty as rolling thunder pullups because of the extra friction but I've seen a quite a few big strong men humbled when attempting a pullup for the first time on them.

This is going in the opposite direction, but this inspired me to try a super pow tech solution. It’s not perfect bit i just wrapped dish towels around spots where my hands would go and added a decent amount of diameter.

I’ve had a few different set ups, indoors and out. The one I built during quarantine is my favorite. I used two 4x6 posts (12 footers) and I buried them about 4 feet deep (in cement) so my bar is about 8ft tall give or take. I drilled two holes in the tops and installed galvanized floor flanges (threaded) I used 1” galvanized pipe for my bar. I wouldn’t recommend black iron because it is way more rough in the hands. Galvi isn’t necessarily easy on the hands but it’s not terrible. You could always add padded grip tape (like for a tennis racket handle). I’m always sketched out by some people’s indoor set ups using their studs in the wall or ceiling. This thing feels so sturdy.

Attachments

• DF0EC62F-96BB-4198-85D2-DA7D5500CE02.png
    DF0EC62F-96BB-4198-85D2-DA7D5500CE02.png
    411.7 KB · Views: 18
A few photos of the process

Attachments

• FEBD8880-F840-4CE2-8B91-4A43B0C9FAC5.png
    FEBD8880-F840-4CE2-8B91-4A43B0C9FAC5.png
    690.6 KB · Views: 13
  • 31587471-8562-4F7D-99A9-28C9B56E8937.png
    31587471-8562-4F7D-99A9-28C9B56E8937.png
    669.7 KB · Views: 15
  • 0442CFA8-7004-49D1-B470-C3DEA66B6637.png
    0442CFA8-7004-49D1-B470-C3DEA66B6637.png
    508.9 KB · Views: 16
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom