all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Building Lungs vs Easy Training

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

John K

Level 8 Valued Member
Certified Instructor
Hi All,

This topic has been something I've been mulling through lately and it became a short topic on my training log with @WhatWouldHulkDo and @Alexander Halford offering some appreciated input. I'd love to hear others' thoughts and experiences, and while this topic cold definitely result in applications to my training, it is not looking for personal training advice itself. I will be using myself to frame the topic, simply because I like using examples.

I recently was listening to Dan John talk about identifying weaknesses in the snatch test, and he broke it down to guns (lockout problems), buns (glute fatigue leading to upper body muscling of the snatch), and lungs (seems obvious to me). His answer to the lungs problem was to do what might be termed now as glycolytic training, or possibly "work capacity" - 2-3 times per week perform 2-3 sets of 100 with a kettlebell that allows you to complete the sets unbroken.

It seems to me that Pavel and StrongFirst have gone very much down the "anti-glycolytic" training method pathway, incorporating short powerful sets followed by plenty of rest, with occasional glycolytic sessions that seem to be more tests; they (or a portion of the coaches) seem to also endorse long slow endurance training (zone 2 work a la Dr. Maffetone) to supplement this.

When (if ever) does it make sense to add in glycolytic sessions as part of a weekly training program and not relegate them to testing only? For instance, being a former strength "athlete," my lungs have - from day 1 of kettlebelling - been my limiting factor. I have been consistently applying Maffetone's training recommendations for about 6 months, and looking back seem to have 6 month "blocks" of LSD-a la-Maffetone focus followed by a year of ... no LSD. I obviously would be one who would see great benefit in long-term consistent LSD training.

I have also noticed that while a year and a half ago I had a hard time completing 100 swings in 5 minutes with even a light weight like the 16kg, now I can easily complete it with the 32kg. So my "lungs" have obviously been increasing by me: 1) getting stronger, 2) getting more technically proficient, and/or 3) building a bigger engine (lungs).

So I suppose I'm looking at this "training puzzle" and see a couple paths:
1. Focus on "anti-glycolytic" style training and see results play out longer-term (e.g. what I've done the past year).
2. Utilize both the anti-glycolytic and glycolytic (e.g. weekly including both, to one degree or another)
3. Focus on glycolytic style training (what is currently popular in a lot of methodologies).
4. Utilize glycolytic training for goal-specific training in blocks (e.g. it seems that escalating density training is not only glycolytic but may also be a way to build hypertrophy with kettlebells; blocks of glycolytic training in preparation for glycolytic events like the 5 minute snatch test)

There may be more but that's kind of the gist of my thoughts. I definitely lean away from #3, but I also see the potential value in #2 and #4, and some coaches I respect (e.g. Dan John) are huge proponents are fairly frequent (weekly or more often) glycolytic sessions to build "lungs" (Dan also is a big proponent of Maffetone, so my understanding of his stance is solidly #2 above).

So to clarify:
1. The answer is "it depends." But I'm asking/thinking about when to incorporate glycolytic training sessions when training yourself or others, and specifically when to use them to target adaptations (either to overcome a limitation or to contribute to a glycolytic goal). For some people this may be never, but why? If glycolytic adaptations can be spurred on by anti-glycolytic training more slowly, when does it make sense cost-wise to use glycolytic training more often to get quicker results?
2. This is NOT a personal request for ideas on how *I* can progress.
3. This is NOT a "Dan John" topic. I use him as an example because he is fairly well known and he is (recently) the individual who has gotten this mental ball rolling.
4. I have not been to any StrongFirst certs, I have read (several times) Quick and the Dead, Simple and Sinister, and Enter the Kettlebell.

This whole post has really served me already, simply by making me think and write and work through ideas. As much as I love "easy" training like my understanding of anti-glycolytic training from reading what Al and Pavel have written, part of me wonders if I'm missing a component to my training. This may be simply because I spent 8 years NOT training LSD - or training it very infrequently - and not even training glycolytically during that period either - for most of that period I was in the "if its more than 5 its cardio, and I don't do cardio." So would the answer for the frequency of LSD, AGT, and glycolytic training depend based on training history? If we took an ultra runner who never trains outside of zone 2, a HIIT junky who always trains HIIT in the most met-con way, and a - say - olympic weightlifter who almost never trains for more than 5 reps and always has plenty of rest between sets ... how would our prescriptions be different, assuming their goals were to get better at their preferred activities (ultras, metcons, weightlifting)?

Alright I'm done thinking out loud. Thanks for humoring me, I recently reentered Quarantine so have a little free time on my hands to think. Dangerous times (thinking, that is).

I would say, focus on some glycolic work when you know you're going to need it. In my case, I'll do a snatch test at the TSC twice a year, so a few weeks before hand I'll run through a few snatch tests to build up some glycolic tolerance. As one might expect, the first couple are ugly, because my tolerance is low. But you can build up a reasonable amount without having to do it for months.

So, what that says to me is, I'm not in a constant state of being able to go "all out", but I can get there in a reasonable amount of time.

Of course, that will change if/when I get some time to get back to karate. Karate practice tends to go very glycolic, so that one practice a week is the only glycolic training I do. And absolutely it means I don't have the same level of tolerance as they guys who are doing that 3 times a week. But it let's me chase other pursuits at the same time. It's a tradeoff.

If you have a need (or desire) for more constant readiness for that kind of effort, then it certainly makes to do 1 glycolic session a week. As long as you aren't crazy with it, it shouldn't interfere with your other work, and it will keep you more "ready".

Glycolytic training is like the dark side of the Force. Quicker, more seductive, but ultimately limited. Use it for blocks of a few weeks, ideally as prep for some kind of an event. Then, back to the basics of strength and aerobic fitness. Intensity brings quick results, but also plateaus quickly. The bigger and better your base, the higher those plateaus will be.

"It depends"
Glycolytic capacity is determined by four things primarily - mitochondrial density, capillary density, enzymatic profile, stroke pressure.
Stroke pressure is improved with resistance training, so that one is not really a limiting factor.
Mitochondrial and capillary density improve from both aerobic and glycolytic (HIIT) training, so those not really a limiting factor.

If everything else is in place, it is the enzymatic profile that is most improved by glycolytic training. It only takes a few weeks of this to kick over, but as with everything it takes a lot less exposure to maintain. So a block of intensive HIIT or threshold training will make a big difference, and a fraction of that will maintain at nearly 100%, indefinitely. You'll lose a little off the top end, but at a guess, better than 80% capacity can be maintained with about 25% of the volume used to acquire the adaptive response.

1. Focus on "anti-glycolytic" style training and see results play out longer-term (e.g. what I've done the past year).
4. Utilize glycolytic training for goal-specific training in blocks (e.g. it seems that escalating density training is not only glycolytic but may also be a way to build hypertrophy with kettlebells; blocks of glycolytic training in preparation for glycolytic events like the 5 minute snatch test)

I think these two serve most people best; #1 and #4.

But you're definitely right about training history and goals playing into the picture. In Dan John speak, Point A (where you are) and Point B (where you're going) should inform your approach. I'll add another variable, "how long you have to get there." If you're training to do a snatch test in a month and you're trying to improve from 80 reps to 100 reps in 5 minutes, that's one thing, and might suggest more of #4 above. But if you are not on a timeline and your goal is to improve your health, strength and general fitness, that's another thing, that might suggest more of #1 above.

"It depends"
Glycolytic capacity is determined by four things primarily - mitochondrial density, capillary density, enzymatic profile, stroke pressure.
Stroke pressure is improved with resistance training, so that one is not really a limiting factor.
Mitochondrial and capillary density improve from both aerobic and glycolytic (HIIT) training, so those not really a limiting factor.

If everything else is in place, it is the enzymatic profile that is most improved by glycolytic training. It only takes a few weeks of this to kick over, but as with everything it takes a lot less exposure to maintain. So a block of intensive HIIT or threshold training will make a big difference, and a fraction of that will maintain at nearly 100%, indefinitely. You'll lose a little off the top end, but at a guess, better than 80% capacity can be maintained with about 25% of the volume used to acquire the adaptive response.

Good info... and makes it clear why glycolytic training (enzymatic profile) ON TOP OF a good aerobic base (mitochondrial density, capillary density, and healthy heart and lungs for oxygen delivery) works well. It's the icing on the cake. But using gylcolytic training exclusively to try to build the aerobic base doesn't work very well. It's the sugary icing without the cake.

Good info... and makes it clear why glycolytic training (enzymatic profile) ON TOP OF a good aerobic base (mitochondrial density, capillary density, and healthy heart and lungs for oxygen delivery) works well. It's the icing on the cake. But using gylcolytic training exclusively to try to build the aerobic base doesn't work very well. It's the sugary icing without the cake.

In my case it is the whole cake, just means the cake is a little smaller maybe...I don't have time to devote to LISS type work, so I'll have to leave the stroke volume improvements on the table. Most of the other adaptive responses are VERY similar (mitochondrial and capillary density) at the recreational fitness level.

End of day you get the adaptations you train for, so I have pretty good recovery for high intensity activities, and not much in the tank for long runs, although a lot of that is foot pain. Ideally it is good to include everything.

For something like the snatch test I'd start with form and go down the list - does a lot less good to improve the things that are not a problem.

Yes, train for what you need, but also consider the cost of training.

Some explain with theory (in the Quick and the Dead, for example) and others experience in practice, that certain types of training tend to burn you out quicker than others. Other methods (namely anti-glycolytic) are more sustainable and less stressful, even though they might provide less immediate results.

So yes, target the adaptations you want with your training, but consider the direct cost of the training (and recovery), not just the stimulus and result.

In the end, whatever you do is way better than doing nothing. Do what you enjoy, what keeps you training, what gets you results, and which doesn't hurt you. IMO glycolytic training can, in some circumstances, fit all those criteria.

Yes, train for what you need, but also consider the cost of training.

Some explain with theory (in the Quick and the Dead, for example) and others experience in practice, that certain types of training tend to burn you out quicker than others. Other methods (namely anti-glycolytic) are more sustainable and less stressful, even though they might provide less immediate results.

So yes, target the adaptations you want with your training, but consider the direct cost of the training (and recovery), not just the stimulus and result.

In the end, whatever you do is way better than doing nothing. Do what you enjoy, what keeps you training, what gets you results, and which doesn't hurt you. IMO glycolytic training can, in some circumstances, fit all those criteria.

I think at some point individual genetics or some other fuzzy factors must contribute. In my case if I weren't training the way I was I wouldn't be getting the results I do (was recently accused of using steroids, and yeah that made me feel smugly good about myself!), at my age I feel every headwind to my fitness.

To me a 'cost' is something one has in their possession that they are exchanging for something else of value, just have to make sure you get an honest trade.

I have a lot of variety in my training so it is difficult to pinpoint what is doing what, but my guess is that one glycolitic ( sometimes two ) runs a week have allowed me to do sub 4 min. snatch tests without practicing snatching ( shoulder issues ) . The runs are not long, about 3.25 miles in a bit less than 30 minutes. The first kilometer is slightly elevated, so I'm thinking snatch test time wise, do it in 5 mins or less. Then I will walk 60 seconds and jog 60 seconds for next two miles, then finish with the last 1000m in 4 something. Sometimes on the 2 mile stretch I will count 100 steps of walking and jogging, or walk 60 seconds jog 120 seconds, lot's of variety there as well. So, mostly MAF days but some where I get some smoke going. I like smoke, but will back off accordingly when legs feel heavy. Seems to work and I enjoy the faster pace and variety. On the kettlebell side, long cycle cj' with dbl's ( none MAF ) seem to have a nice snatch test carryover.

Looking over my above long story I'm thinking 2-3 glycolitic interval runs of 6 minutes with 5+minutes rest between each, once a week ,would work as well.

Last edited:
When (if ever) does it make sense to add in glycolytic sessions as part of a weekly training program and not relegate them to testing only?

Start at the center: train as often as possible, as hard as possible, while remaining as fresh as possible. The key with protocols of short work and long rests - both of which allow “as hard as possible” and “as fresh as possible” - is volume.

Look at the length and frequency of sessions in the training logs of @Anna C, @WxHerk, and others.

-S-

The key with protocols of short work and long rests - both of which allow “as hard as possible” and “as fresh as possible” - is volume.

-S-

Thank You, @Steve Freides ! Yes, volume is key. Right now, I'm snatching a 32kg A&A style on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday for an hour to just over, heartrate dropping <110, sometimes up to 113. Now, with South Mississippi heating up into the 90's (I train outside) I'll up the starting heartrate to ~115.

I'll get at least 40 sets of 5 and have done as many as 50 in an hour. That's after years of snatching and other work, including glycolytic work.

On Tuesday / Thursday it's alternating double 20 and 24 swings for 10 total sets of 11 swings. Follow that with EMOM double 20kg Long Cycle (yesterday 11 sets of 5, most days less) and 3 getups left&right with the 20, 24, 28, and 32kg. Getups just 'work" for me. Yesterday, I trained in 58 minutes.

Some Tuesdays and/or Thursdays I can't train but my snatch days are sacred. ? Also, I'll have a weekend day similar to the Tuesday/Thursday.

Thus, 600+ snatches every week with the 32kg and the other stuff. That volume has built up since 2003, plus it's something I enjoy..a lot. So yes, volume, volume, VOLUME. Not all in one day, just gradually up it and keep doing so little by little. 365 average to good days will make a great year!!

Also, I'd be remiss not to mention that God smiled upon me and brought @Al Ciampa and @Anna C into my life. When you associate with such FIRST rate people, your game ups itself whether you like it or not.

olympic weightlifter who almost never trains for more than 5 reps and always has plenty of rest between sets ... how would our prescriptions be different, assuming their goals were to get better at their preferred activities (ultras, metcons, weightlifting)?

Hi.

That's me.

I don't intentionally do glycolytic training at all, because it's not useful for my sport (weightlifting) and just sucks energy out of my main focus.

And I don't need metcons to strip off fat, because I don't try to do that quickly due to the hormonal cost being too high.

My conditioning work consists of:

--Aerobic: walking, rucking, rowing, yoga, club drills, bodyweight strength exercises
--Anaerobic: Olympic lifts and their derivatives, general strength (mostly 3-5 reps except on light days)
--A+A combo: KB swings, loaded carries (farmer's walks, suitcase carries, waiter walks)

Once in a month or so, I'll do a rowing sprint, but that's about it.

Last edited:
Thank You, @Steve Freides ! Yes, volume is key. Right now, I'm snatching a 32kg A&A style on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday for an hour to just over, heartrate dropping <110, sometimes up to 113. Now, with South Mississippi heating up into the 90's (I train outside) I'll up the starting heartrate to ~115.

I'll get at least 40 sets of 5 and have done as many as 50 in an hour. That's after years of snatching and other work, including glycolytic work.

On Tuesday / Thursday it's alternating double 20 and 24 swings for 10 total sets of 11 swings. Follow that with EMOM double 20kg Long Cycle (yesterday 11 sets of 5, most days less) and 3 getups left&right with the 20, 24, 28, and 32kg. Getups just 'work" for me. Yesterday, I trained in 58 minutes.

Some Tuesdays and/or Thursdays I can't train but my snatch days are sacred. ? Also, I'll have a weekend day similar to the Tuesday/Thursday.

Thus, 600+ snatches every week with the 32kg and the other stuff. That volume has built up since 2003, plus it's something I enjoy..a lot. So yes, volume, volume, VOLUME. Not all in one day, just gradually up it and keep doing so little by little. 365 average to good days will make a great year!!

Also, I'd be remiss not to mention that God smiled upon me and brought @Al Ciampa and @Anna C into my life. When you associate with such FIRST rate people, your game ups itself whether you like it or not.
??

Hope you’re doing well, brother!

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom