all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Building the Elite (book)

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Training for Life

Level 6 Valued Member
I recently stumbled on this and just a few weeks ago grabbed a copy of the new second edition (link: Amazon). The book deals with training and coaching trainees for special operations selection.

Have so far only mere scrolled through the chapters randomly and now reading the first one. It covers a vast amount of topics from systems thinking to mental skills to physical skills to programming. The sheer amount and level of detail put in to explain the fundamental concepts in every area it covers is very impressive. Not so much a book that gives a training plan with specific exercises, but rather teaches the fundamental principles that enable one to craft their own plan.

Has anyone read it? Any thoughts? The more I read the book the more I think about that some folk here could find it interesting.

Hello,

I read it a while ago and this book is a masterpiece, for both physical and mental aspects of preparation. It gives plenty of tool to assess our abilities. It is based on principles rather than a too rigid frame.

Here in post #78 you will find a review and comparision I did some time ago.

Hope that helps,

Kind regards,

Pet'

quite accidentally i stumbled onto this book - got a kindle sample, and eventually paid up for the book. It is possibly one of the smartest books on overall training, systems thinking, etc that I've read.
I read half of the book and can wholeheartly agree. To me it's a must read for all interested in a whole training system. It's the entrypoint to a world of info and has so much references that it helps you to expand your knowledge even more.

Hey guys, I'm the co-author of Building the Elite and a StrongFirst coach. If you have any questions about the material in the book please let me know.
Thank you for a great book.

I have a question regarding the breathing drills you have included with the book. Did you come up with them or are they based on something you learned? I have done a bunch of breathing drills but the ones you included with the book are the only ones that give such a strong feeling of expansion in places that were tight before.

Thank you for a great book.

I have a question regarding the breathing drills you have included with the book. Did you come up with them or are they based on something you learned? I have done a bunch of breathing drills but the ones you included with the book are the only ones that give such a strong feeling of expansion in places that were tight before.
A lot of those are probably rooted in concepts from the Postural Restoration Institute, as they popularized that approach starting maybe 10-15 years ago. Since then those ideas have spread all over, though, and a lot of independent practitioners have been developing their own takes on them based on the underlying principles. Most recently, Jon (co-author) has been learning a lot from Bill Hartman, which is probably where some of them have come from.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom