all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Built Strong Minimalist

It is very straightforward:

There are Heavy, Light and Medium days for Squats, Push and Upper Body Pull = three different RM-Zones for each type of lift.
For example, you can choose to do one type of Squat (say, Backsquat) with different weights for each day.
Or do Zercher Squats on heavy day, Pistols on medium day, and KB Front Squats on light day.

You get the idea.

You need to test each lift beforehand.

Then you enter each lift with it's rep max in to a simple excle file and everything else is calculated and spelled out. (Do 2-3-5-2-3 Pistols on your medium day, for example). You can choose for yourself to do the exercises as a slow circuit or seperately from another.

A bit like the tables from Simple Strength for Difficult Times pt. 2 - but with all the calculations done for you. You get personalized training tables for each lift.

Edit: And the three plans are labeled "minimalist" "regular" and "tough" - and the main difference is the volume. All plans are hypertrophy + strength without going to the burn.
Exactly, thank you for posting this thorough explanation, Sir!

I have literally 13 versions on this moment, each of them valid, but not what I want. I still want the perfect program, but it doesn't exist (except for Brett's Iron Cardio combined with S&S, his words).

I want to use this program to break my press plateau and hopefully try again for Level 2 next year.

Edit: Just tested the first exercises, did 4 + 4 KB MP with a 32, 11 DFSQ with double 32's and 15 chin-ups on bodyweight. And (at this moment) thinking about using only these for the program and see afterwards (L)
The reason for which I have provided a list of exercise choices for each trained movement pattern, to give a chance to everyone to train with the plan. Since many don't have access to all kettlebell sizes and/or a full training equipment set, there are options for everyone to find at least one exercise per movement pattern that fits the bill for the required intensity.

One may decide to use only one exercise per movement pattern, or two, or three. One per movement patters is my favorite choice, but in some cases it may be not doable due to lack of appropriate kettlebell sizes or other equipment.

The reason for which I have provided a list of exercise choices for each trained movement pattern, to give a chance to everyone to train with the plan. Since many don't have access to all kettlebell sizes and/or a full training equipment set, there are options for everyone to find at least one exercise per movement pattern that fits the bill for the required intensity.

One may decide to use only one exercise per movement pattern, or two, or three. One per movement patters is my favorite choice, but in some cases it may be not doable due to lack of appropriate kettlebell sizes or other equipment.
Hello @Fabio Zonin

Thank you for the program, it comes at a perfect time for me!

If you’ll allow me 2 questions…
- is there an advantage to pick one each horizontal and vertical movement where these are available (i.e. a horizontal and a vertical press), or is that overthinking it?
- if you run two cycles back-to-back (or should that not be done), I assume you take a week to retest your various RMs in all exercises, correct? (Since the inbuilt test is only for the H lift?)

Thank you very much!
Claude

- is there an advantage to pick one each horizontal and vertical movement where these are available (i.e. a horizontal and a vertical press), or is that overthinking it?
For hypertrophy goals, yes! For strength goals, I would pick either a horizontal or a vertical press and run the entire plan with it.

- if you run two cycles back-to-back (or should that not be done), I assume you take a week to retest your various RMs in all exercises, correct? (Since the inbuilt test is only for the H lift?)
Exactly! Once retested the H lifts at the end of the plan, I would then take an easy week and take the chance to test the M and L lifts. And by the way, one may decide to select different lifts for the new plan, in which case also the H exercised are to be tested.

Thank you for the program, it comes at a perfect time for me!
I'm very glad to hear it, Claude!

For hypertrophy goals, yes! For strength goals, I would pick either a horizontal or a vertical press and run the entire plan with it.

Exactly! Once retested the H lifts at the end of the plan, I would then take an easy week and take the chance to test the M and L lifts. And by the way, one may decide to select different lifts for the new plan, in which case also the H exercised are to be tested.

I'm very glad to hear it, Claude!
Thank you for your reply, very much appreciated!

Claude

Is it possible to break up the 3 Lifts of one day to a morning, mid day and evening protocol (one lift a time) or would this works against the desired effect of strength and hypertrophy?
Or even split them a bit:
M W F: Alternating Squat and Pull sets
Tu Th Sa: Ballistics follows by Presses

As these plans are more about adequate volume than about the burn I would think that this could be in line with the general idea. Or not @Fabio Zonin?

And is it ok to split the sessions, if volume exceeds 30 reps per lift?

Or even split them a bit:
M W F: Alternating Squat and Pull sets
Tu Th Sa: Ballistics follows by Presses

As these plans are more about adequate volume than about the burn I would think that this could be in line with the general idea. Or not @Fabio Zonin?
Yes, this is on option. However, for best results in terms of hypertrophy, I would avoid doing conditioning and strength/hypertrophy work back to back.

And is it ok to split the sessions, if volume exceeds 30 reps per lift?
You can, but it's not necessary with this plan.

Weelll I purchased it, I don't often wax lyrical about things that I buy, difficult to say positive things without sounding like an over the top wally.

The spreadsheet is stunning. Well done to all involved. For me it is worth it for the spreadsheet alone. Lots of variety possible on the training sessions. Spreadsheet geeks will enjoy it as an example of a well crafted tool with an easy to understand output.

The suggestions for what to do on days off should keep the "What-else-can-I-do-tribe" happy.

............... and lets face it, we will all probably enjoy doing a few max rep tests to use as input to the spreadsheet. Had a Jolt this morning with some testing. Feeling really really good a few hours later. Maybe need a Jolt more often.

Last edited:
The spreadsheet is stunning. Well done to all involved. For me it is worth it for the spreadsheet alone. Lots of variety possible on the training sessions. Spreadsheet geeks will enjoy it as an example of a well crafted tool with an easy to understand output.
True! I really admire this work and wonder about the details of the setup in the background.

Weelll I purchased it, I don't often wax lyrical about things that I buy, difficult to say positive things without sounding like an over the top wally.

The suggestions for what to do on days off should keep the "What-else-can-I-do-tribe" happy.

............... and lets face it, we will all probably enjoy doing a few max rep tests to use as input to the spreadsheet. Had a Jolt this morning with some testing. Feeling really really good a few hours later. Maybe need a Jolt more often.
Thank you so much, Sir! :)

@Fabio Zonin, I noticed with testing that I capped off the Double Front Squats at max reps for the H/M/L. So did 11 at 32's and just now 7 at 36's, and have yet to test the 28's.

Is it better to work with these weights, at max reps or test 40's and and re-test the other weights for max reps again?

@Fabio Zonin, I noticed with testing that I capped off the Double Front Squats at max reps for the H/M/L. So did 11 at 32's and just now 7 at 36's, and have yet to test the 28's.

Is it better to work with these weights, at max reps or test 40's and and re-test the other weights for max reps again?
Since you did 7 with 36s, I would stick with these weights. Let's also see what your RM is with the 28s. If higher than 15, you may consider doing your Double Front Squats with uneven bells (28+32) and switch sides from set to set...

I just started 'Tough' today, I have 2 weeks before a 10 day holiday and after the holiday I will start over, so playing with though for the in-between time

@Fabio Zonin - finished going through this. It looks great! That spreadsheet makes all that calculating from Simple Strength For Difficult Times 2 super simple. A question - is there a reason that the press is never a clean and press? I've noticed that you don't typically list that in either Simple Strengths for Difficult Times or in this. Me thinking, thinks it's to keep more tension on the muscle longer.

I've attended Plan Strong, and there is a version of Plan Strong that improves hypertrophy called PS50. Since BuiltStrong is based on PS principles and PS has a hypertrophy option with PS50, I really haven't seen anything that explains the differences enough to persuade me to attend a BuiltStrong seminar though I really love Fabio's stuff. Could someone here who has done both advise me on the differences?

@jroberts1187
maybe sample the BuiltStrong Minimalist plans and see if you want more.
compare it to your PlanStrong information and see if there are any gaps you want to be filled in.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom