all posts post new thread

PlanStrong/BuiltStrong Builtstrong on a cut

Jaurvind

Level 4 Valued Member
Hi. Does anyone have any good pointers on how to modify volume and ari when going on a cut? I am going to cut my calories by 500kcal/day and cant find anything about cutting in my builtstrong book. I guess i can just take the volume down and see how it feels, but maybe someone has experience with builtstrong while dieting.... ?

Hi. Does anyone have any good pointers on how to modify volume and ari when going on a cut? I am going to cut my calories by 500kcal/day and cant find anything about cutting in my builtstrong book. I guess i can just take the volume down and see how it feels, but maybe someone has experience with builtstrong while dieting.... ?
Are you referring to Built Strong Minimalist book? There are three intensity levels in the worksheet. Did you try running the lowest intensity? I think you might want to first try yourself and see how it goes, your recovery capacity will vary quite a lot individually in my opinion and the lower intensity schedule could be doable at a caloric deficit.

If recovery was an issue for me, I would go with conservative 10 RM weight/progressions that allows me to fully recover and follow the program instead of changing the program.

Are you referring to Built Strong Minimalist book? There are three intensity levels in the worksheet. Did you try running the lowest intensity? I think you might want to first try yourself and see how it goes, your recovery capacity will vary quite a lot individually in my opinion and the lower intensity schedule could be doable at a caloric deficit.

If recovery was an issue for me, I would go with conservative 10 RM weight/progressions that allows me to fully recover and follow the program instead of changing the program.
Thanks for your answer. I dont know what the built strong minimalist book is, i attended a seminar about Builtstrong...
The builtstrong program has a wavyness built in so i guess that helps when on a deficit.. At least when compared to a static program... Yes, i will have to try it and test my RM´s and make sure that i dont loose too much strength.

Have yet to attend a plan strong or built strong course but I have done plans based off one or both so here's what I would suggest..

Keep your ARI and volume on the conservative side and rest longer initially...

Have you considered running easy strength first to give you a feel how much strength you can upkeep while on a deficit??

Thanks, yes i will try a conservative path and i guess each months RM test will show which way im going..
I will look up easy strength, thanks.

I'm currently doing this.

See my post:

I would use the Minimal or Regular schedule.

Buy the BuiltStrong Minimalist program (they offer 50% off frequently). It's worth every penny for the program because of the spreadsheet which allows a ton of options.

For nutrition, I ate more carbs (post-workout and dinner) on my BuiltStrong Minimalist training days and less carbs on other days.

The builtstrong program has a wavyness built in so i guess that helps when on a deficit.. At least when compared to a static program... Yes, i will have to try it and test my RM´s and make sure that i dont loose too much strength.
There's always this BuiltStrong option since it uses heavier weights and lower reps:

That way, you definitely keep your strength while cutting. And the overall volume is lower than the BuiltStrong Minimalist program.

Back
Top Bottom