all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Bulgarian Split Squat Programming

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)

oukeith1

Level 6 Valued Member
In Q1 I will add Bulgarian Split Squats to my routine. I am new to the movement and surprised at how difficult they are even with a light weight! The other day, I did 3 sets of 5 with a 24kg KB in the contralateral rack position and it was a challenge.

I am adding them for the purposes of unilateral strength and increased movement/athleticism.

I will be training them 3x every two weeks: Monday, Friday, Wednesday. My other lifts will be Deadlift, also 3x every two weeks, but not alongside the squats. (So Wednesday, Monday, Friday), and likely a landmine press. Also will be training with heavy clubs as an accessory and zone 2 cardio.

So…a lot of stuff.

For context, I spent a lot of time with Zercher squats last year and can comfortably lift 195 lbs for 3 sets of 5.

My question is this: how should I program this for sets and reps, given the implement I choose?

At my disposal, I have 2 24kg kettlebells, a 32, and a 36. I can order a 28 if needed.

I also have a barbell and could Zercher or back squat them.

Would it be recommended to just use the 24 until I can pile on volume until I can handle the 32? So 3 sets of 10 or whatever…

Or just grab a barbell and add weight like I would with any other barbell cycle? And stick to 3 to 5 sets or 3 to 5 reps?

All insight welcome!

Keith

The BSS is my favourite lower body movement. Here's what I've done:

I didn't have a barbell my first run, only limited number of KBs - 16, 24 x 2, 28, 32, 40

My first run I just did 5x5 with a particular weight, increasing when it felt easy, usually after a week or two. I stayed with 32 a tad longer before jumping to 40. That worked quite easily.

More recently after recovering from an unrelated injury I've been working in higher rep ranges. Sometimes a top set, others 3 x 10 or so. Working my way up again. I've got a second 28 now so the plan is to get to 56kg x 10 per leg.

Also, I hold the bell contralateral but in suitcase position, not rack. Feels a lot better for me and allows me to challenge my legs more.

@Dayz @silveraw Kettlebell it is! I will try the suitcase position and try layering in some volume.

@Boris Bachmann would you care to expand? I assume you are saying I am better off treating it like a true accessory and not overthinking it. If so, why is that? Do you see the move as having limited usefulness?

@Boris Bachmann would you care to expand? I assume you are saying I am better off treating it like a true accessory and not overthinking it. If so, why is that? Do you see the move as having limited usefulness?
I would start by asking you "What are your goals?". How you answer the question will decide everything for yourself. Is your goal to build the Bulgarian Split SQ, then by all means!

FOR ME, it's always been a squat accessory. I wouldn't say 'limited usefulness' - I'd say, for me, the risk-to-reward ratio is large enough that I'll probably never bother to load it again, or if I do it will be w. a safety squat bar and holding onto the rack. I'm in my 50s, and I don't know if anyone else in the older brackets feels this way about it, but the equilibrium just isn't what it used to be - doesn't mean I shouldn't ever train that, but the training method for balance will not be w. loaded BSSQs.

Many years ago now, I had a short talk with Pavel about lunges - he had poo-poo'ed lunges repeatedly in seminars. The exchange went something like this:
Boris: Umm, Pavel, I know you are pretty down on lunges and the like, but I've been pretty happy w. Bulgarian Split SQ in my training...
Pavel: Of course you can do them, I just think there are better exercises. IF you like split squats, and IF you can stabilize the movement, and IF you can do them safely, and IF you can...
Boris: Okay, okay, okay... I get it.

I think Pavel was correct fwiw

I'll humbly suggest that, depending on your goals, you might not need to "program" the exercise as much as just include it regularly in the rotation. I have a few exercises that I include once a week or so for 3-5 sets of 10.

Ditto.

It's in my weekly unilateral rotation, along with ATG split squats and single leg RDLs.

I don't include them into the meso cycle programming as the volume is so un-fatiguing.

Intent is to increase mobility and athleticism while increasing strength. Not necessarily to get a huge BSS, although I do expect to get stronger in the move.

Interesting that Pavel considers it potentially unsafe.

I see all the pro golfers on insta doing them or some variation and I believe one of the ideas there is that they are safer for them than back squats.

Having said that, your point is taken and I’ll just try to accumulate so volume and not worry too much about it.

In case you're interested, I remembered this relatively recent Strongfirst article about training professional soccer players. The BSS is programmed as a main strength movement, with a goal of 1/3 bodyweight. The benefits/ reasons for using it are discussed for soccer, but equally apply to any sport or real life activity involving running/ changing directions, applying unilateral force.

Boris: Umm, Pavel, I know you are pretty down on lunges and the like, but I've been pretty happy w. Bulgarian Split SQ in my training...
Pavel: Of course you can do them, I just think there are better exercises. IF you like split squats, and IF you can stabilize the movement, and IF you can do them safely, and IF you can...
Boris: Okay, okay, okay... I get it.

I think Pavel was correct fwiw
Thats interesting, would pistol squats have all of the same disadvantages ? I ask becuse I get the impression that pistol squats are endorsed by Strongfirst.

Thats interesting, would pistol squats have all of the same disadvantages ? I ask becuse I get the impression that pistol squats are endorsed by Strongfirst.
I’d say they are worse. You can learn to do a BSS in 10-15 minutes. Pistols take months. But if you don’t have weights… pistols are kind of the big body weight squat

Last edited:
I’d say they are worse. You can learn to do a BSS in 10-15 minutes. Pistols take months. But if you don’t have weights… pistols are kind of the big body weight squat
I allways in doubt if i should try learn the pistol/airborne lunge or i should do weighted BSS either with weights in backpack og KB in hands.

In case you're interested, I remembered this relatively recent Strongfirst article about training professional soccer players. The BSS is programmed as a main strength movement, with a goal of 1/3 bodyweight. The benefits/ reasons for using it are discussed for soccer, but equally apply to any sport or real life activity involving running/ changing directions, applying unilateral force.

Thanks for sharing this. Interesting article, and they talk about the half kneeling landmine press as well, which is something I am adding to my repertoire this coming cycle.

Maybe. I think in general there's less of a tendency for people to go hog wild with pistols right out the gates - people can see the potential for messing yourself up and are lucky to be able to one or two reps first time out, so they give it proper respect from the git go and until they develop considerable proficiency. I don't see that same reserve with Bulgarian Split Squats but I could be wrong.

This morning I did 3x5 with the 24kg. Goblet style. Had a hard time with balance. So yeah, I get why it might not be considered the safest or easiest to do correctly.

I also get see why it might not exhaust your CNS as the lifts seemed easy compared to a heavy Zercher, in terms of overall intensity. I don’t necessarily view that as a bad thing though.

Back
Top Bottom