all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Bulgarian Split Squat Programming

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
This morning I did 3x5 with the 24kg. Goblet style. Had a hard time with balance. So yeah, I get why it might not be considered the safest or easiest to do correctly.

I also get see why it might not exhaust your CNS as the lifts seemed easy compared to a heavy Zercher, in terms of overall intensity. I don’t necessarily view that as a bad thing though.
I strongly disagree the balancing requirement makes it unsafe at all. Stay with the right weight until you can advance safely like anything. If BSS is unsafe, then TGU is far, far more unsafe (balancing on one leg, holding weight OVERHEAD with one hand).

If anything improving your balance/ unilateral stability will make living LIFE more safe :)

If anything improving your balance/ unilateral stability will make living LIFE more safe :)
The point was not really that you couldn't improve balance or unilateral stability w. Bulgarian Split SQs, just that it might not be the best first avenue to do so. As with most exercises, if you love it/want to do it/prefer it, then by all means, go for it!

The point was not really that you couldn't improve balance or unilateral stability w. Bulgarian Split SQs, just that it might not be the best first avenue to do so. As with most exercises, if you love it/want to do it/prefer it, then by all means, go for it!
I get that, but I was responding to his post about understanding why its considered unsafe... when its not! :)

I agree re balance. I'd put single leg deadlifts up there for balance.

BSS, I'd consider a main strength lift with balance as a benefit.

And I was in-turn just responding to Borris. Just relaying my thoughts as I learn.

I am pretty excited about the BSS and I think you and I are on the same page.

Do ya'll ever have issues with your knee/s during/after you BSS? What's an ideal training volume for BSS?

The bulgarian split squat is great for addressing imbalances in the squat. For me, personally I like the barbell back rack split squat because it forces my glutes to work a lot harder. When I load the front rack or suitcase position it hits my quads a bit harder.

If it bothers your knees try the back rack position. I typically do 3-4 sets of 8-12 reps per week of this movement. I have long femurs and naturally am not great at squatting, but this movement has helped my squat tremendously.

Here is an interesting presentation from Mike Boyle, who is a well known strength and conditioning coach who has gained some notoriety for swearing off bilateral squats in favor of pure unilateral work.

Most of his reasoning seems to revolve around safety and injury prevention, although he does present some arguments that you can get just as strong with single leg work. And he seems to believe that single leg work is better for general athleticism.

He has moved away from Bulgarian Split Squats in favor of unassisted unilateral work. Skater squats and “one leg squats” to name a few.

Very interesting talk.

Any thoughts on his logic or methodology?

I enjoyed this summary of some of the best options for unassisted single leg training as well….

"To make a long story short, Kateřina discovered she suffers from a rare mitochondrial disease that no longer allows her to push her glycolytic system hard."

I had missed this the first time. That's serious stuff.

You could probably benefit from just using bodyweight for a couple of weeks and try to work up to 30+ reps per set. This will help you get stronger in the weak areas of the exercise and get used to the balance. Then add weight. The exercise improves quickly and you will be using your normal kb in no time.

Here is an interesting presentation from Mike Boyle, who is a well known strength and conditioning coach who has gained some notoriety for swearing off bilateral squats in favor of pure unilateral work.

Most of his reasoning seems to revolve around safety and injury prevention, although he does present some arguments that you can get just as strong with single leg work. And he seems to believe that single leg work is better for general athleticism.

He has moved away from Bulgarian Split Squats in favor of unassisted unilateral work. Skater squats and “one leg squats” to name a few.

Very interesting talk.

Any thoughts on his logic or methodology?

I respectfully disagreed w. a lot of the reasoning Mike Boyle gave back in the day, however he works (or worked) w. hockey teams so, you know, that could add a layer of complexity to training. On the other end of the spectrum, I had a conversation w. Pavel about lunges (and Bulgarian squats) way back in the day - Pavel may have a different opinion of them now, but he was, to say the least, not a fan of lunges and Bulgarian split squats and one of the main reasons he gave was potential for injury. I disagreed w. Pavel then, but after many years and more than a couple flub-ups when doing Bulgarian split squats, I've come more to his line of thinking over the years.

I respectfully disagreed w. a lot of the reasoning Mike Boyle gave back in the day, however he works (or worked) w. hockey teams so, you know, that could add a layer of complexity to training. On the other end of the spectrum, I had a conversation w. Pavel about lunges (and Bulgarian squats) way back in the day - Pavel may have a different opinion of them now, but he was, to say the least, not a fan of lunges and Bulgarian split squats and one of the main reasons he gave was potential for injury. I disagreed w. Pavel then, but after many years and more than a couple flub-ups when doing Bulgarian split squats, I've come more to his line of thinking over the years.
I’ve had a couple flub-ups as well. Balance is not a foregone conclusion when holding a bell in one hand…

Back
Top Bottom