all posts post new thread

Bodyweight Bulgarian Split Squat to Pistol

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

LoneRider

Level 6 Valued Member
I recently came across this article on how to sort out a pistol squat (Article is here) and I found it quite an interesting read. I'm curious as to how transferable the Bulgarian split squat is to performing an unassisted pistol.

A bit about myself:
  • 34 year old male on active military service
  • Predominantly Barbell/Kettlebell based strength programming with juidiciously applied endurance work is how I keep myself in good physical condition
    • Have achieved Simple on Simple and Sinister a year ago.
  • Have had a prior high ankle sprain I recovered from four years ago (said sprain kept me out of running/rucking for about five months).
  • Calisthenics experience limited mostly to the standard pushups/pull-ups/burpees/squats
    • I use said basic variants as assistance work for my barbell work per this article (Assistance Work)
  • I'm interested in learning somewhat more progressive calisthenics to add more tools to my repertoire.
  • Cannot, yet, do an unassisted pistol.
  • Can do 2-3x split squat/leg as of last week, if a bit wobbly. My current focus for this particular drill is, in a GTG fashion, do singles and doubles with good form and balance before I try to add reps.

Last edited:
I recently came across this article on how to sort out a pistol squat and I found it quite an interesting read. I'm curious as to how transferable the Bulgarian split squat is to performing an unassisted pistol.

The article gives suggestions for exercises to help you progress from one to the other. If you find the article interesting, why not try the approach it suggests and let us know how it works out for you?

-S-

I'm curious as to how transferable the Bulgarian split squat is to performing an unassisted pistol.

IMO, not very.

There are lots of ways to skin a cat and lots of progressions for learning pistols that people have used successfully, but here's my $.02:

The hardest part of the pistol is the bottom, transitioning into it and getting up from it. So, IMO, the most effective progressions allow you to work through this range. Therefore, I think things like split squats and box pistols are a lot less effective than using support, a counterweight, raising the heel, and bottom position holds.

Support can be holding onto a doorframe, power rack upright, etc. Another way to do it is with a jump stretch band looped around your hips and anchor to something at about waist level.

I think raising the heel is a very underexploited strategy. I like it because you ARE basically doing a freestanding bodyweight pistol, but making the balance and leverage a little easier. You can raise the heels on weight plates or piece of 2x6, or often just using a shoe with a raised heel is enough.

Bottom position holds will help with balance and stability, and reveal mobility restrictions. If you can't sit in the bottom position, you can't do a pistol. If you can't sit in the bottom position on one foot, you may be able to on two.

Edit: I should also mention deck pistols, which use momentun to help you stay on balance and get out of the hole. As with the heel lift strategy, it's a freestanding variation that takes you through the hardest part of the pistol, but with assistance to make it easier.

Last edited:
I don’t have input on how transferable the split squat is to the pistol, but I think this exercise a lot of benefits in that you can mimic the squat movement pattern with lesser load on lower back. Also you can perform it with dumbbells or kettlebells, using much less weight than you would need with a barbell for similar loading of if each leg.

Karen Smith (Chief SFB) has a series of short videos (first video linked) that have a suggested progression. If you don't want to follow the movements suggested in the article, you won't find a more authoritative opinion on how to build a solid pistol.

I could not do pistols ever and when I started doing some more Single Leg work like SL Deadlifts,Split Squats and Bul Split squats the pistol happened. SO yes that should work.

I'd think it would depend on what your particular weakness is regarding the pistol. For me, the mobility part was easy, I just needed more strength. For others, they might be plenty strong but struggle with the mobility part of it. Each person would be helped most by something different.

Reactions: Lee
  • Can do 2-3x split squat/leg as of last week, if a bit wobbly. My current focus for this particular drill is, in a GTG fashion, do singles and doubles with good form and balance before I try to add reps.
Bruh are you sure you're not referring to this? A shrimp squat (or one leg lunge, whatever you want to call it):

Cause this is what a split squat is (Bulgarian has a raised leg):

Active service, who can do Simple? I have a hard time believing you can't do like dozens of easy split squats. I'm not super sure you'll get much of out the splits squats. I assume you're probably a bit more advanced than just GTGing singles and doubles.

Good luck broski :)

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom